“Nice hotel and good service, but they make you pay for the fifth star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. David's Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added The St. David's Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
The St. David's Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Havannah Street, Cardiff CF10 5SD, Wales   |
Ranked #22 of 81 hotels in Cardiff
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel and good service, but they make you pay for the fifth star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The iconic St David's Hotel and Spa in Cardiff Bay was a very pleasant place to spend the weekend. The location is spectacular with every room having a sea view and the atrium is leg-wobblingly impressive. Service was excellent throughout, but just a couple of touches took the edge off. First, they make you pay for the car park - at five star prices for the room, I expect to be able to park my car for free, and breakfast was an eye-watering £18.50 for a fairly standard looking buffet. Pre-booked breakfast (booked before midnight) was £12.00 but check your bill - we pre-booked and were still charged the full £18.50 although reception were very good at removing the extra charge without question. Finally, my sausage and mash bar snack came in at £16.00 for some distinctly average-looking sausages. Overall, the food was excellent, but £16.00 was a bit much. The spa is starting to look a little tired also and the lifts were a little alarming (they wobbled sideways), but for the most part this was a thoroughly enjoyable stay with the occasional shine taken off.

The bar/lounge singer on Friday night is worth mentioning. At first, he seemed a little stereo-typical lounge singer but his repetoire was incredible. From Les Miserables operatic numbers through the obligatory Tom Jones and less obvious Shirley Bassey (really) he included a number by Ed Sheeran also. Excellent.

Room Tip: Try and get an upgrade to the seventh floor if you can - just don't look over the atrium wall.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed the comfort of the hotel’s unique location and individual service and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

1,811 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Thai first
Kempston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Like this hotel a lot. There on business and this time I think I lucked out a I got a suite which was very nice....just wish I could afford to stay here on a personal trip rather than business!!
Restaurant isn't great but there is so much choice just round the corner it really doesn't matter!

• Stayed October 2012
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your review. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you on a pleasure rather than business trip in the near future, and at this point would invite you to try our new menu which was launched last week under our new Head Chef.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My second review ever but feel strongly about writing this. We always stay at 5* hotels round the world but this was most disappointing. To name but a few; Checking in, met by unfriendly member of staff. Bedroom & bathroom not been cleaned, hair everywhere in bathroom and carpet dirty. Put right, eventually. Panel above Bathroom door left dangling loose & nearly fell on my head (put right & bottle of wine) 2 Daily papers delievered instead of one but next day none! Charged twice for restaurant bill on the same evening, another group ate there same night & gave our room no without signature! On departure, apologies were made, some money taken off as an apology. 3 weeks later, we discovered £174 has been taken of our account without our knowledge! When I enquired, duty manager informed me a member of staff had made a mistake when we checked out (the money taken off as an apology). Bearing in mind all that went wrong, we should have at least been informed of the mistake before or even after the money was taken out of our account.The messege I received when I enquired was, deal with it. I know we won't be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your review which is disappointing to read as it was my understanding that these issues were rectified at the time and indeed a further gesture was made on check out. The amount taken from your card was for one night's accommodation that was mistakenly not charged on check out by a new member of staff. This of course was not part of the gesture that was made in good nature.

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I decided to stay at your hotel as a special treat for my partners 30th birthday, I rang up a couple of weeks before staying to double check I could pay by debit card on departure, which the person I spoke to said was fine. When we arrived I was told a payment in full, would have to be taken on my debit card, to which I advised I couldn't pay until the following day but the reception could keep my card, the lady I spoke to checked with her manager who came over and said I would have to pay upfront there and then & that most people have credit cards, I had to go home (40 mins away) and come back to pay by cash. I'd just like to point out that I completely understand why payment had to be taken on arrival however I specifically rang to check I could pay on departure & was told that'd be fine. The manager I'd spoken to previously had apologised at the time & offered myself and my partner a complimentary bottle of bubbly for the misinformation, however when we returned the girl we spoke to took our cash, didn't give us any information about what time the spa was open or what time breakfast was in the morning- she didn't even tell us to enjoy our stay. I felt like the staff in reception looked down on us the whole time we were there & didn't make us feel welcome at all. I will say the room was lovely, apart from the lose hand bar in the shower & the bed extremely comfortable, however based on service I would certainly not recommend you as a 5* hotel, I was made to feel very uneasy and I didn't feel very informed by the staff at all- especially as I heard the girl on reception explain all information to other couples who checked in before us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MJones2011, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for your review. I understand that my Guest Relations Manager has written to you more comprehensively in this regard. In the meantime, I can confirm that our policy is that pre-payment upon check in is necessary, or alternatively a pre-authorisation amount can be taken on a credit card to the value of your accommodation and any extras that may wished to be charged to your room. This was confirmed in your confirmation letter sent following your booking. I am however sorry if you feel you were given wrong information in this regard as all staff are aware of company operating policy. I do hope that despite this misunderstanding the remainder of your stay was enjoyable.

Wales, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The treatments and staff are lovely which is why I have given two ratings, however the facilities are very dated. It was really annoying, i had a hot stones massage but the room was so cold and the air condition is right over the beds, when I asked for them to be knocked off they said it wasn't possible as it is all under one control unit.

I also had a dry flotation treatment, again nightmare air conditioning and the music was too loud but it couldn't be switched off as I was told it was connected to other parts of the spa. The overhead fairy star lights were not working so the light was left on and a lavender pack was given to put over the eyes to block the light. I was told that the lights had gone off that morning and that maintenance was on its way to sort the lighting problem but when my boyfriend had his treatment the next day they told him the same thing. They didnt tell us of the fault before we paid.

For a hotel of this standard it is such a shame their spa isn't up to the same standard as the rest of the hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us however your comments regarding the spa are disappointing and I will be discussing the same with my Spa Manager. I hope we can welcome you back in the future to restore your confidence.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We visited Cardiff to go to the Opera at the Millenium Centre and this hotel is ideally located in Cardiff Bay. The room was adequate and clean with beautiful views. In the main the staff were friendly and helpful. Wasn't wowed by the experience and probably won't stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments which have been shared with the team. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay for your visit to the Opera and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to St David's in the future.

Llanelli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

From the moment my husband and I turned up at the hotel, we were gobsmacked at the sheer beauty of the hotel over all. It just looks so huge!!
We had turned up before check-in to grab some lunch, but when we got to the reception we were greeted with a smile by all on the desk. But the lovely girl who served us told us that our room was ready! Fantastic This young girl happened to be from the area we are from, and sparked up a lovely conversation with us that made us feel very welcome and relaxed. It was the perfect start, feeling like the staff are happy to have you there.

Our lunch on the terrace was beautiful, as the weather held up thankfully!! Every time we ate at the restaurant during our 3 days stay, it was marvelous. Stunning food, that I didn't find THAT expensive too which surprised me. We also ventured down the bay for a little wander as you're spoilt for choice of restaurants down there too! And they all have lovely views of the bay and surrounding areas.

Our room was completely stunning, and very comfortable, (we took our family pictures with us which always makes us feel at home from home). There was a beautiful view from our balcony, even though it wasn't that high because I'm scared of heights haha!

All in all St. David's made our trip completely perfect which was a massive relief as we had been saving for this trip for a while now. The food was amazing, the views stunning and all the staff were just exceptionally helpful and polite, especially a young lady on the reception desk, Ayeshia, who went out of her way to make us feel welcome, always chat to us when we passed, helped us with recommendations and directions, came up to help us with the internet, brought things to the room and always with such a happy smile on her face. I was gobsmacked when she said she had been there less than a month. Well done st. David's, you must train you're staff well!!!
Thank you for such a welcoming stay. We'll definitely be back again.

Room Tip: If you can handle a higher floor then the views are just beautiful!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
What a fantastic review, thank you so much. Your comments have been passed to Ayesha and indeed the rest of the team and are very much appreciated. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and a warm welcome awaits your return.

Graeme Barclay

Been to The St. David's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!