“Getting worse” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in Cardiff
Staffordshire
“Getting worse”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for many years now, but the service and quality has slowly declined. It used to be a true 5 star, but now it barely meets 3 star.

The spa is fautless, and is probably the hotel's only saving grace. The pool has fabulous views across the bay, and the jacuzzi is also lovely.

However, the service has really declined. We travelled in a party of 5 for a birthday celebration, and we had booked the twin rooms months in advance. Upon check in, they had lost the booking and we ended up in an adapted twin for disabled use, which was totally unsuitable for us. Our room also had a loud buzzing air con unit, so we asked to be moved. After four hours and many phone calls, this was eventually honoured. However, this had also happened on my previous stay, so the maintenance of the hotel definitely needs to be looked at. Their customer service is also poor, as the receptionist told me it was my fault we needed to change rooms, and made it feel like a big ask.
We had also requested wine and a birthday balloon for the room of my cousin,but it ended up in the wrong room as well. The 2 star service lets it down.

The rooms (if you get lucky) are spacious and soundproofed, with unrivalled views. Just be prepared for problems from start to finish, most of which will not be resolved.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
It is very disappointing to read your comments, particularly as the team are so passionate about excelling in service delivery. I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the future. Thank you for your review.

Graeme Barclay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Thai first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Arranged a night here for our first wedding anniversary. I contacted the hotel directly, but they advised I would get a free bottle of bubbly if I booked on-line, and the night manager told me to call back the next day so he could arrange some free extras, which was very nice of him.

I contacted the hotel at approx 11am as we were in Cardiff early, to see if we could check in that little bit earlier, at which point I was told the room would be ready. Fantastic!

On arrival, the sign for the car park was so badly positioned, that we thought it was full, and subsequently parked in the NCP across the way. On walking past the hotel car park we realised the car park was nearly empty! Fortunately the car park we used only charged 5 pounds for 24 hours, and the hotel was 8 pounds?

We were given a room on the 5th floor. The lift ride up was very noisy and not smooth at all, maybe it's just me who thinks a top hotel shouldn't have this sort of problem?

The room was spacious and light, and had a great view over the bay and barrage areas. The room wasn't spotless though, and had started to look dated, could do with some freshening up in my opinion. Bathroom was well stocked with the usual and light was good to use the mirrors etc. Again the bathrooms seem dated now and could do with a refresh.

Unfortunately, even though I was told our room was ready, the bubbly, chocolates and strawberries I had been promised were not there, which somewhat detracted from the intended romance of the day. I went back to the front desk who advised these items would be put in the room after 3pm. We went to the spa and after returning at 5pm the promised items were at last in place.

The spa and pool facilities are OK, but in my opinion not as good as the advertising makes out. The changing rooms for the pool were dirty, and there was obviously a leak from the changing rooms to the pool as a load of towels had been put on the floor to mop up and left there!

To sum up, this could once again be a marvellous hotel, but is in desperate need of a makeover to bring it back to where it was. It is in a great location, and the bar and restaurant facilities are great. Breakfast was good too, a mixed buffet selection of cereals and pastries and the option for a cooked breakfast which we both enjoyed.

Unless the hotel had a makeover I would not stay here again, for the prices I do not think the standard reflects good value. If the Vale of Glamorgan Hotel wasn't so close to where we live (less than a mile), we would have stayed there, as it is far in front than St.David's, and going off this trip is far more deserved of five stars than it's current four.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that the team looked after you at reservation and your request for an early arrival. You will therefore appreciate that whilst we were able to able to accommodate an early check-in this is not guaranteed until 3pm and therefore items scheduled to be in the room would arrive by 3pm.

I am unaware of a problem with the lift but have passed your comments to my Maintenance Manager.

We have 60 car park spaces at the hotel, chargeable at £8 for 24 hours which are subject to availability. We are however lucky enough to have the NCP car park immediately adjacent to ours which has 200 spaces (pre-payable at £5 per 24 hours in coins only).

Your other comments have been noted and will be discussed with the team appropriately.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

Lovely room took my girlfriend their for her birthday! Great views had a wonderfull time all staff exceptional bar 3 in resturant who look like they need a little more training on what alcohol they serve. Food was spot on though overall very very brilliant. Cardiff seems lik an excellent city! Would definalley recomend! Thank you once again.

• Stayed July 2012
Thanks for your great review and your kind score of 5. I am very pleased that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your stay with us and indeed your trip to Cardiff. We hope to see you both back at St David's in the not too distant future.

Teignmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Perfectly nice but, as lots of other reviewers have said, it is slightly surprising that St. David's is a 5 star hotel. Nice room, good view and good staff. Great location on the waterfront. Slightly surprised to be charged for carparking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and your observations which have been noted. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I love this hotel - It is the place to stay in Cardiff - every single room has amazing views and standing on the balcony was exhilarating.

I loved the decor. The food is great and the staff are very friendly and helpful. A big thank you to the night porter who helped sent me off on my jog around Cardiff Bay, it took about an hour and a half (I did walk most of it). An amazing start to a day. Oh - and the spa, you even get great view from there while relaxing in the massive jacuzzi!

Will certainly return.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms must be amazing. 360 degrees of great views!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at The St. David's Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
What a great review, thank you so much for the 5 stars! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

If I could, I would give the hotel a rating of 4.5. The location and view is a 5, but the hotel itself is a 4.

The room was large, clean, and had a spectacular view over the Cardiff bay. It was also calm and silent, and we slept very well even though the beds were a bit on the hard side. The proximity to the Mermaid Quay was another great plus. I also enjoyed walking around the wetland area to the west of the hotel.The town of Cardiff was a positive experience; calm atmosphere and a nice environment to stroll around in.

The breakfast was OK but not top-notch. The restaurant and bar meals were pretty good; not great, but solid. The afternoon tea was very very good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your review. I must agree with your comments on our location, we are indeed very proud of our unique setting. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and everything that St David's and the surrounding area has to offer. We hope to see you back again soon.

Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

stayed here with my family after going xmas shopping in cardiff last december , and had to say this is a first class venue !!!!rooms were brilliant and so was the food , staff were very pleasant and helpfull ........brilliant location very quiet with sea views >>>>>>>>>

Room Tip: all exellent
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the 5 rating. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and your kind words have been shared with the team who work so hard to enhance the guest experience, your comments will be much appareciated.

Graeme Barclay

Been to The St. David's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!