“Excellent place to stay for the price and location” 4 of 5 stars

The Big Sleep Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bute Terrace, Cardiff CF10 2FE, Wales   |
Ranked #53 of 80 Hotels in Cardiff
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Excellent place to stay for the price and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed at this hostel a couple of nights ago, booked via the website for £29 per room including breakfast. The hotel is right on the edge of the city centre, just a few minutes walk from one of the main streets and 5 minutes walk from the central station. Although on the outside the building looks just like an old office block, once you get inside it is OK and the rooms are fine for the price. I had a double room on the 9th floor overlooking the city which made me feel like I was in New York, and it was a pretty big room. I looked over the railway tracks and could hear the trains going by but this didn't bother me and stopped at night after the trains stop running. The bed was comfortable, I had a TV with freeview so I could watch my favourite programmes and I had tea and coffee making facilities as with most hotels. As most have said the curtains leave a little to be desired looking like old carpets, but everything was clean enough and at this price are you really there for the curtains? I also had a decent sized bathroom with a long deep bath - since I don't have a bath at home this was like heaven, and it was perfectly clean with soap, shampoo/shower gel provided and I made the most of it.

Breakfast was in a simple room but there was plenty to choose from with eggs, toast, warm pastries, cereals and milk, as well as tea and coffee and fruit, so this was plenty for the price and it was nice to have a good breakfast before going out for the day. If you have to leave early because of flight or train then they will prepare you a breakfast to go which is a nice touch. The only thing I can say against the hotel is the lift, which seems old and in need of replacement (although they are working on this) as it creaks, makes noises and is generally a little bit scary! Still, makes for a good adventure. All in all I was very pleased with this hotel, for the price you can't really complain and especially not for the location. You're unlikely to find something much cheaper in the centre of Cardiff unless you go for a hostel sharing with others. Definitely worth a go if you're not looking for unabashed luxury.

Room Tip: Get one higher up for the view ;)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Polish first
Newquay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I looked at their website and it looked very smart, advertised themselves as sleek and stylish. The pictures of the rooms looked lovely. Imagine how disappointed i was to turn up to a room that hadn't been updated since the 70's. The carpet was in a need of a good clean as was the bathroom. The 'wardrobe' was a metal stand which had never seen a duster. On the plus side the staff were lovely and were extremely helpful. If you are going to the motorpoint arena, then the location is fantastic.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Caldicot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

After reading the reviews on here I was expecting the worst during my stay! But I was pleasantly surprised! The reception staff were very polite and helpful! The room we stayed in was clean and tidy and although there was only one pillow the bed was comfy and I got a good nights sleep. I couldn't hear noise from any other rooms at all and wasnt disturbed. The lift did freak me out a little as it makes a lot of creak noises but I think that's purely because of the age of the lift! I would definitely stay here again, cheap, cheerful and great service.

• Stayed May 2013
manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

On arrival we were greeted by what looked like an 80's style council block of flats. We were not able to check in until 3 o clock aswell which seemed quite late considering we had to be out for 10. The rooms are very basic, one bed, tv and bathroom with some very questionable curtains. Tea and coffee making facilities with one cup, in a room for two. The lift also seemed very unsafe and seemed to stop on random floors and take ages to get to where you wanted to be! Breakfast was adequate, it was what it said it would be. It was stated on "late rooms" that you got complimentary access to a health club nearby, but this wasnt the case. Having said all this, it was only £30 for the night and it was very central so can't really grumble as you get what you pay for. Although personally id say pay that ittle bit more and stop elsewhere

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Milford Haven, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have never laughed so much in my life staying here. The room was so funny. A normal fan stuck to the wall called 'wall fan' that didn't even work but was a great cleaner as it collected tones of dust.

Had a fantastic view of the train station could see when our train was coming in. The sound of the horns woke us up every minute. I also recommend a paracetamol or two
Someone was being sick above us we heard everything poor soul.

Had a few left over chips from the people in there the night before under our bed, they were tasty although next time I recommend bringing salt for that extra flavour.

The TV was a nifty thing best part about the place. Free view made my day!!

But best of all what makes this Hotel famous is those fleecy teddy bear curtains that are made to measure! If it wernt for these I probably would never have stayed here I wanted to see what the fuss was about. They sure did keep me warm all night, wrapped up like a rug!

I hope to god this hotel does not get updated I will cry if I don't get to see those curtains again, if you want a cracking laugh check in to it seriously. Cheap as the chips under our bed and cant really go wrong. Nice bed with ONE PILLOW. Felt like I was on a incline most of the night.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

If your reading this one thing that will crack you up is the curtains ! Fluffy look like the cookie monster ! Its made mine & my friends memory ! Can't stop laughing about it ! However the room is average clean , fan didn't work or aircon . No windows ! Only stayed a night as went to see killswitch ,. Breakfast was pretty good ! Don't go off you'r lookin for a good night sleep as the walls are so thin ! Could hear people from miles away !! The staff are lovely & always there to help so don't hesitate to have a complain

• Stayed April 2013
Christchurch
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for two nights - orignally booking through booking.com this was cancelled, we had to re-book the same dates direct and ended up paying £25.00 more!
The rooms are extremely basic only one pillow each an a thin quilt, also the windows do not open which i did not like as the room smelt very damp and musty
On our first night we were woken at 5.30am by a screaming child in the next room - this continued for an hour. After complaining to reception they moved us to a different room,
We then went for breakfast which was just toast, cereal, croissants and fruit - we didnt bother the second day,

The positive things about this hotel are the location and the friendly staff - however if I were to visit Cardiff again I would not stay here

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Big Sleep Hotel? Share your experiences!