“Basic but ok” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bute Terrace, Cardiff CF10 2FE, Wales   |
Ranked #55 of 81 Hotels in Cardiff
“Basic but ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Reception polite friendly called in on the off chance wanted a single but only twin available but was more than happy with the price. Nice spacious room with flat screen tv.disappointed by house keeping standards several hairs around bath,shower curtain grubby & toilet but i cleaned it myself & just relayed this back 2 reception on check out. my only real gripe is the girl looking after breakfast buffet was 2 busy talking on her mobile phone in kitchen 2 replenish stock no bread no juice no coffee i know she was on her phone because i was stood @ the kitchen door watching her chatting away b4 saying excuse me could we have some bread & coffee i received a kind of grunt reply. Working in hospitality myself it is not hard 2 smile & greet guests be it at breakfast in the corridor etc. I would stay again 4 the gr8 location & price.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Polish first
Exminster Exeter devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

A central hotel with everything you need for a night or a weekend stay. Restaurants pubs and shops minutes away and the central railway station a quick 10 minutes walk. A large comfy bed coffee facilities in the room with a nice shower and bath en suite.Weird sheep skin style curtains but they kept out the light.Ordinary buffet breakfast with plenty of choice of cereals, toast, boiled eggs and cheese but no meats.

Room Tip: Double rooms bigger than a single
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Gloucester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Massively dissapointing and you must really avoid this hotel! I don't mind my budget hotels but this is a no no!

Check in was pretty decent but getting to the room was a nightmare - there was only one lift in working order (seems to have been this way for a while!). You need to go upstairs to get to any of the rooms, so if you check in behind a large group or at peak time, you'll be waiting a while or walking up the stairs. We were on floor 7 and took the stairs option as the que for the lift was about 25 deep.

The room was big and spacious, we paid £45 but as soon as you look at the detail the room is very very tired, dirty, stuffy, the bed was uncomfortable. The taps in the bathroom were a nightmare to get working properly and you can't really drink the water from the tap - lukewarm and tastes awful.

What was the most frustrating is the noise - yes you can expect a certain amount of noise in Cardiff on a weekend, but I have stayed in numerous hotels and generally paid a lot less and had a better nights sleep (and a better room!). I managed about an hours sleep with all the noise from the lift and people coming back in at various times, then everyone going for breakfast.

Parking is £6 and £1 per hour after this. You can pay £10 to extend check out time to 12, it's normally 10.30. I did consider this originally, very glad I didn't do this now!

There were tea and coffee facilities, but as I found out in the morning there was no spoon. I didn't fancy playing the 'wait for the lift' game to get a spoon from reception, just wanted to get out of the place.

Very dissapointed that I thought paying a bit more for this hotel would be a step up from some of the budget alternatives in Cardiff but it was worse in every way.

The ibis budget I'd normally stay in was on this occasion full when I went to book it and hence booked this instead, thinking I'd be having something a bit better - wrong! The Ibis budget is much much better and considerably cheaper - the rooms are smaller but it always delivers. If you can't get in there, try the 'normal' ibis in cardiff centre (it's about 2 mins walk from the big sleep) which is very nice but more costly or the travelodge in queen street, but this may be expensive and it's like border control when you try to get back in at the end of the night)

Room Tip: If you do stay here, or you've already booked it then read the reviews :), ask to change your ro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

This may be a budget hotel but fur £45 it was awful. Very basic room with stains on the bathroom floor and dirty fleece curtains. Grubby with one lift broken and the second one made you feel very concerned by its noises. Cleanliness was the biggest issue for me with hairs in the table and chair so clearly not cleaned very well. No SA seiches in the bar left and I wished I'd never booked

• Stayed April 2013
Taunton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Well, I did only pay £29 but understood that this was a spaecial offer! I was NOT impressed.

I stood in the street in front of a very shabby, dirty and unimpressive door thinking it was the tredesmen's entrance. and wondering where the hotel entance was to be found. I asked a passer-by and was told that this was it.I stepped into a horribly gloomy-looking hallway/ corridor searching for reception. Finally I found what I considered to be a poor signing--a sign with white lettering on pale blue and small.I climbed 2 flights of steep, gloomy stairs and wanderd around, still looking for reception and after much hunting, found it.

I WAS greeted by 2 friendly and helpful receptionists. I must commend the young blonde lady and young gentleman. They were SO helpful and without them my stay would have been a complete disaster.Having been given my room keys, I then proceeded up 2 more flights of steep stairs (there was a lift but it didn;t seem very invitiing) which I found horribly claustophic , the walls painted bright ghastly orange, so garish it sent alarm bells ringing in my head.

I searched long and hard for my room number and wondered why the rooms had no numbers. After much ado, I noticed that each room had a transparent plaque by it and when I looked VERY closely, I found that they had numbers in an opaque white...NOT very helpful and extremely difficult to see.

My first impression of my room was very negative and remained thus.I walked onto a carpet very badly stained in a number of places, so much so that it made me feel sick. The room was utterly bare, no picture on the walls, nothing of decor at all and it looked like an office, a very bare office.The ghastly curtains looked like animal blankets hung up on poles and a dirty beige/brown colour.The very sparse furniture looked as if it were the very cheapest possible.
The bathroom was ok, and yes another positive point, lovely big, thick towels.The shower was good too.

I did not sleep well, unusually for me. I felt the atmosphere so uninviting and cold and the place deserted. The breakfast was adequate...nothing fancy but there was plenty to eat.

When I told a friend of mine in Cardiff where I was staying and said how awful it was, she told me that she had worked there for the Gas Board some years ago and this was a converted office block hence the office-like atmosphere. I will never go back there....and I definitalt do not recommend this place.But once again, my compliments to the very helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

very basic, beds were springy with one pillow per person. breakfast was just cereals, no wonder its "complementary" tap water was not drinkable, grime around the taps and shower area. out of date decor with dusty, fleece curtains. pictures of John Malkovich everywhere as he is "part owner" however, these were disturbing and ruin the already, vile decor. small radiator, or fan... fan didnt work which meant when i couldnt turn the radiator off, i boiled. minimal tea/coffee offered with 4 small sachets of milk.one lift was broken down and one lift for 9 floors is unacceptable. the walls are paper thin and i could hear people 2 floors above my whilst waiting for the lift. couldnt wait to get home, unpleasant stay. my advice would be to spend a few extra pounds so you get what your paying for.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The old saying if it seems too good to be true is very apt here......chose here for price and location, the location was the only good thing.

Our room 609 was tatty and dirty, and I was horrified to see "bogies" yes that's right human mucus on the inside if the curtains when I closed them! What sort of disgusting person does that!

The bed was the most uncomfortable thing I ever tried to sleep on and I do mean tried.

You couldn't get cold water from the tap to drink and had to walk to the lift area for cold water..... the left area was disgusting on the 6th floor, the smell of vomit was overpowering, we complained but it was still as bad later and he following morning.

I would never stop here again and genuinely recommended others don't pay a little more and stop at a travel lodge.

The onl plus side the breakfast to go was nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Big Sleep Hotel? Share your experiences!