“Awful. Avoid avoid avoid.” 1 of 5 stars

You added The Big Sleep Hotel to your Saves list
The Big Sleep Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bute Terrace, Cardiff CF10 2FE, Wales   |
Ranked #55 of 81 Hotels in Cardiff
“Awful. Avoid avoid avoid.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

The most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in. Dirty room with awful carpet type tiles on the floor. Floor had big tear in it. Bedding had fag burns in it. All dirty tissues under the bed. It's beyond basic. Not good value for money. Would never ever stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Polish first
Pembroke Dock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

booked cause it was cheap and boy was it cheap carpets had stains in curtans ripped, hanging down and dirty,paid for late check out extra £10 for 1hour where the cleaners kept walking in and asking when we were leaving. overall not a good place but ok if its just for one night defo not a romanic setting.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Crediton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The location and breakfast are the only positive things I could say about this hotel.

We weren’t expecting luxury and would have accepted shabby. However I agree with all the other negative comments about cleanliness plus have added the other problems we had below.

When booking in it came to light that I had made a mistake on my booking. Entirely my fault but was made to feel an idiot by the receptionist. The rooms heater and phone didn't work. The receptionist fixed the phone and plugged in a new heater which was bashed in (see photo) and worryingly I was told not to turn it up. At no point did I get an appology.

After a terrible nights sleep I checked both mine and my wife’s beds and found the cause of our discomfort (see photographs).

Because the curtain in the bathroom didn't cover the window, we were exposed to the office blocks opposite (see photograph)

When checking out we mentioned the problem with the beds to the gentleman receptionist who apologised at once, which was appreciated. On returning home I have tried to contact the hotel and have asked for details on their complaints procedure but I have not had a reply so I presume they aren’t really interested.

Room Tip: Allow for parking off site which is only £5 for 24hours around the corner. Very limited parking at h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Good points - Location, price, surprisingly a goods nights sleep, tea and coffee making facilities, clean linen and towels, tv, parking available on arrival (3.25pm)

Bad points- Rundown appearance, only one lift working, dirty laundry in corridor, thin walls, dirty curtains, large window in bathroom that you had to draw curtains, sheets had holes in, thin walls, walked out of breakfast room as disorganised and chaotic, noisy(trainline running at rear of hotel), bathroom door patched up from damage, resembled a hostel, only hot water from basin

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I've never been to such a terrible hotel its Dirty with BODILY FLUIDS of some kind on the floor one pillow on the bed its a double. I would have been happier to rent a cardboard box the room was freezing no heater working, a Filthy TV remote and various appendages inscribed in to various things in the room and the Greasy window. 'the room was bland and run down as was everything outside are room. what a birthday present it left my girlfriend very embarrassed and apologetic.Only one lift working and it smelled like urine and vomit they should close this place if your going to Cardiff do not book this DUMP

Room Tip: ~ don't ~
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Okehampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I have stayed at The Big Sleep several times but never again. We arrived around 12noon on Saturday 24th, completely understood that we may not be able to check in, as I work in a hotel myself. We spoke to the receptionist and she informed me that the car park costs £6 per day and an extra £3 if you arrive before 3! I was absolutely shocked by this, I have stayed and worked in many hotels and I have never had to pay to park in a hotel car park before, I would be embarrassed to inform guests of this! We checked in after the rugby, around 7pm, the room looked ok but on further inspection, there were stains on the wooden base of the bed, the curtains we're filthy and the bathroom a health hazard. I really didn't see the point in mentioning it as I don't expect the staff are really that bothered as I wouldn't have thought my complaint would have been the first. This place is getting worse and worse, such a shame as the hotel has a good location!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my grind for our annual Xmas shopping trip. We booked for two nights but stayed only one so appalled were we with the shabbiness and dirty appearance of the whole place. The curtains, carpet and beds were filthy. We spent the whole day scratching after our 1st night there!!!! We found a dirty pair of pj's under my friends mattress and at least an inch of dust. As an asthmatic not good....when we looked under my bed the slats were broken and the mattress horribly stained! Yuk!!!! Never ever again. I could go on and on but will finish on I don't know why this place hasn't been closed by the environmental health agency!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to The Big Sleep Hotel? Share your experiences!