“Som Dam Good :P” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #85 of 938 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night, Street Food
“Som Dam Good :P”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I love Thai food and was delighted to discover this fantastic trendy little restaurant a few years ago and have been enjoyed their hospitality on a number of occasions.

We recently visited with our two young children (3 & 1 Yrs old). The staff were incredibly warm, friendly, helpful, gentle and very attentive especially towards our children.

We had the Som Dam (my favourite), Kanom Dang & Sate followed by Gung Pat Prik & Gai Met Mamuang. The children had Pad Thai & Kow Pat Gai (if I remember correctly).

The food as always was delicious, bursting with flavour and as authentic as I recall the food was in the real Bangkok if not better!

The wine list was a little unadventurous but we were happy with a Prosecco.

Highly recommend, an absolut must if you live in Cardiff or are visiting Cardiff.

Very child friendly and they really don't mind the mess - we felt awful leaving such as mess on the floor at the beginning of service but they brushed aside our embarrassment warmly, graciously and sincerely.

• Visited March 2013

Bath
“Great friendly Thai Restaurant before the Rugby”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Really enjoyed the Bangkok Cafe, very friendly people, excellent food and great atmosphere. Would highly recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Thailand in Cardiff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

This is one of Cardiff's gems. An authentic Thai cafe, with authentic Thai service. Food is delicious, bursting with flavour and exciting your taste buds. Unpretentious. Reasonable value - £20 for two courses and a Singha beer. Empty on Thursday night, packed at weekends. Do a take away service as well.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“"As good as a birthday lunch gets"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My sisters and I went to Bangkok Cafe for her birthday lunch and ironically it was possibly the most enjoyable dining experience I've had since my holiday to Thailand, The food was amazing and very authentic, it was presented so colourfully and appetising and the freshness of the ingredients really stood out with no cut corners, the staff were so welcoming and friendly and nothing was too much trouble, I loved the ambience it's contemporary and relaxed with a trendy edge, I will be returning very soon with my husband and children as its a environment that would suit all with great variation and excellent value, I'd strongly recommend the Pad Thai noodles and Thai Toasties, this was a special occasion and we had high hopes being Thai Food lovers and we were not disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“As good as we remembered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We were absolutely devastated when the Bangkok Cafe closed in Swansea, and were desperate one evening for the distinct flavours of that wonderful restaurant, and remembered that there was also another Bangkok Cafe, but in Cardiff.

My husband rang up, and booked a table, and travelled the 50 miles or so to Cardiff.

We were not disappointed, the flavours were still the clean flavours that we remembered in Swansea, the menu was the same, with lots of wonderful choices, and great value for money.

We wanted to make the most of the experience, and so splashed out on a starter each :-

I had the satay, of beef and chicken. Yummie, which is served with a peanut sauce and a gorgeous mix of cucumber and chilli in a white wine vinegar type dressing/dip, and some crispy toast.

My husband had the Gung Tord, which is King Prawns coated in a crispy light batter, with a sweet plum and chilli sauce.

We were not disappointed.

For the mains,

I had my usual Ner Grapow Beef, with holy basil and chillis, and my husband had the Penang Ner.

Both dishes were equally tasty and stunning, and have generous potions. The mains come with a rice and veg accompaniment. Just Simply stunning.

We explained to the owner that we were gutted that the restaurant had closed in Swansea, he said that he was too, and was impressed that we'd made the 100 mile round trip, and to let him know the next time we were in.

We can't wait for our return trip, the food is excellent value, really good quality, always fresh, and always perfect. The perfect combination.

• Visited January 2013