“Where was my teaspoon?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Farlan House Bed & Breakfast

Farlan House Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cardiff
Farlan House Bed & Breakfast
You added Farlan House Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Cardiff CF64 2NY, Wales (Cathays)   |
Ranked #13 of 44 Cardiff B&B and Inns
Pembrokeshire
“Where was my teaspoon?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

I'll skip over the awkward atmosphere that arose after there was some confusion on the landlady's part about my booking and stick to the facts:

Arrived late afternoon on sunday, room looked nice, clean lovely bed and antique furniture. However, I had one teabag, and 5 green tea bags, but no spoon. Over the 3 days I stayed at Farlan House this was never rectified, nor was the tea replenished. When I tried to put my clothes away I found all of the hangers on the bottom of the wardrobe, a random magazine and an old scarf. In the cupboard I found a box for an airgun containing an old pair of converse, russian money, an old wallet, a book about being manly plus strepsils, contact lenses, hair clippers and a bicylcle repair kit. I managed to fill my small bin with the two bottles of water supplied on the first night. My door could not be locked from the outside, meaning my belongings were unprotected while I was out, and the friend I stayed with didn't have a lock on the inside of their room either.

The next day while I was out the bed was made, but the bin wasn't emptied. Water was replensihed and subsequently drank. That evening I used a glass for orange juice, and the teapot and cup for the one teabag. Also, the only socket for the kettle is behind the television, meaning you have to boil the kettle in a different place to where you make the tea! Plus, there was no milk in the room, and I bought my own, but this went off.

The next day, the bed was not made at all, my bin overflowed into a carrier bag, my towels had nowhere to dry properly, I discovered by searching for a cat that entered my room that my bed was supported by a stack of books, the dirty cup and glass remained in place, and I still had no teaspoon or more tea. I didn't get any more water either. I was still paying the £40 a night, same as the previous nights, so why the change? I asked the landlady if i needed to bring my dishes down and remove my own rubbish, hoping this would prompt her into giving the room a once over, but she only took the dirty cup and glass, and didn't do anything else. There were 3 opportunities each day to enter my room as I was visiting my fiance who had a serious operation each day, so the lady had plenty of time to enter my room, but simply told me she just hadn't been up there. In that time I'd seen her watching t.v. and making dresses at a sewing machine. Even after the prompting there was a two hour opportunity while I was over at the hospital. Returning late in the evening after seeing a poorly loved one and finding a dirty room is very disheartening.

There was no offer of any kind of transport, despite her knowing we were public transport reliant, and I also asked about bus services, to which she was oblivious, stating that she goes everywhere in a car.

I feel the proprietor has become complacent as the only B&B in Llandough, and has let her standards slip. She's a nice lady, and I really don't want to complain, but I had such an awful stay on top of an already stressful situation that I feel I need to let her, and other people, know what it was like.

Also, the landlady did tell me she was registered with TripAdvisor, which may explain the other much more positive reviews (especially the first one).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

I recently stayed at Farlan House with 2 friends. Cardiff was fully booked due to the rugby being on as well as a Stereophonics concert, but Kathy gave up her own room so that we had a place to stay. Farlan House was close to Cardiff Stadium and Kathy was kind enough to drop us to the venue!! Kathy cooked us an amazing full English breakfast on Sunday morning and we were all sad to leave. Kathy was friendly, full of handy tips about travelling in the area and made us feel completely at home. I can't wait to stay at Farlan House again!

Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

Highlights: The warmth of Kathy's welcome, helpfulness and breakfasts.
The quality old fashioned decor achieved by her Interior designing skills.
Very comfortable beds.
Improvements possible: Locks still need to be fitted to some bedroom doors and a lazy flush toilet requires to be fixed.
As 2 couples we had two rooms with a shared bathroom and toilet as well as a shared shower room and toilet. Worked well for us but others may well prefer Ensuites . We stayed 4 nights.

We would have no hesitation in returning and indeed intend to do so.

John/Margaret/ James/ Bernie, Northern Ireland. April 2010

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Higham Ferrers
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

I normally use one of the chain business hotels when I travel. But find they can be so anonymous and impersonal. This time I decided to try a B&B, in the hope I would find that something extra, and find it I did. I was greeted by Kathy, and was immediately offered a cup of tea. She brought it to my room, along with a slice of fruit cake. You don't get that at a chain hotel. She was very helpful in giving directions and advise about local restaurants, and even offered to pick me up if I got lost. How about that for service.
The breakfast deserves special mention, as it was as good as it looked on the website, and was cooked freshly just for me. I have no hesitation in recommending this guest house.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

We had a very relaxing and comfortable stay at Farlan House. Very nice position on the edge of Penarth/Cardiff which is almost rural. The landlady (Kathy) made us feel very welcome and cooked a great breakfast. Kathy also recommended The Olive Tree Restaurant in Penarth which is definitely worth a visit for an evening meal. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

I have just had a surprisingly wonderful overnight stay at Farlan House B&B in Llandough.
I wasnt sure what to expect as you do with B&B;s but to my delight it was a stay that left me sad to leave.
On entering i was greeted by a very cheery landlady, Kathy was a delight from beginning to end. welcoming cups of tea and coffee, devine cooked breakfasts and an atmosphere that made me not want to leave 'at all'
Its a lovely place that is central to vast of activities.
Will be paying Farlan another visit this year, it now has a special place in my heart......Thanks Farlan

Been to Farlan House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!