“Lovely people, food just ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 938 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Welcome to Merola's. Located in the very heart of Grangetown, Cardiff, we offer the very best in Italian cooking inspired from the regions of Sorrento, Positano and the gorgeous Amalfi coast. We prepare produce sourced wherever possible from local producers, fishmongers, butchers, bakers to ensure the food we prepare is the freshest available. Why not treat yourself to an evening of wonderful Italian pasta, home made pizzas, or a lovely fish dish with great wine and great hospitality at Merola's Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria.
Cardiff, Wales
“Lovely people, food just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Went there on Valentine's Day evening for a meal with my partner. I'm half-Italian so never expect much when eating at Italian restaurants as they never taste authentic. I'd read & heard rave reviews about Merola's though & heard it being a bit of a hidden gem, so we thought we'd try it seeing as it's only a 2 min walk from home.

Firstly, I have to say the staff & owners seem lovely - can't fault them & they were very friendly. I wasn't so keen on the food though....not very 'Italian' (only a few basics, nothing out of the ordinary, not even a Caprese salad in sight!). Reminded me of canteen food. We had prawns and whitebait to start (both of which tasted frozen & served with an uninspired bit of salad on the side). I then had spaghetti Napolitano (not authentic tasting, not tomatoey enough, too much parsley - which it shouldn't even have, spaghetti seemed broken in half maybe to help the British?!). Partner had gnocchi with Carbonara sauce (ok but far too heavy on the parsley again & not cheesy enough). She then had profiteroles which seemed ok, and I had chocolate fudge cake which tasted of nothing but disinfectant! Had a Bailey's and an Amaretto to finish. All came to just under £50 for us both - ordinary price, ordinary food.

To summarise, nice people but wouldn't rush there again as food not great. My elusive hunt for a decent Italian in Cardiff continues...!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Revisited last night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Went back to Merola's last night valentines night and was not disappointed one bit. The same friendly staff made us welcome. The food was amazing as usual, the staff couldn't do enough for us, the prices for a family of four including wine and soft drinks for girls far beats the prices in town. Can't recommend one particular dish as we had a variety of four and each one was delicious as each other. Go there for yourselves, to feel the cosy atmosphere and savour every bite of their freshly prepared mouthwatering food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Always a pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Been eating here for over twenty years and it never, ever let's me down. I have been right through the menu and can highly recommend the Pizza's. The staff are always friendly and helpful and can never do enough for you. we always eat here Christmas Eve to start the holidays off on a high note. Wonderful Restaraunt! If I could change anything, I would persuade them to start a delivery service....

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Caerdydd
“Grangetown Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been to this restaurant on many occasions and have never had a poor meal. The place is warm, clean, traditional, very good value and I challenge anyone to leave there hungry (big portions). However, the service is probably it's best attribute. Spiro and his team are charm personified and nothing is too much trouble for them.

The food is fresh and quite varied for a small local restaurant and the wine reasonable and plentiful. This place is one of the mainstays of the community and whether it's a lone feed, a romantic escape with the wife or a family bash, you simply cannot go wrong.

It's my favourite restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good quality food and servie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Be going for years. Well worth a visit.
Good selection on the menu, even though I have a similar meal each time!
Food is always freshly cooked, Calzone are worth a try

Service are very welcoming, have never been let down

Decor could do with an update and is location isnt great but dont let that put you off

• Visited October 2012