“Amazing Hostel” 5 of 5 stars

59 Fitzhammon Embankment, Cardiff CF11 6AN, Wales   |
Perth, Australia
“Amazing Hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

This place is so so so great!! Lovely staff and owners (plus 2 friendly cats) who are always friendly and helpful. This place would definitely win the best breakfast award. My eyes nearly fell out of my head when I saw the selection of breakfast goodies....granola, yoghurt, welsh cakes, fruit toast, fresh berries...the list goes on and on. Bedrooms and bathrooms are spotless. Cozy lounge area with a large DVD collection. Would definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
west yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The weather was really lovely when me and my friend were there. Room and bathroom were quite clean. The host and hostess were very friendly. Breakfast, loved it! Also we were offered dinner with pasta. It is not expensive to share a room with another 3 people. A nice day out and night in were pretty good! Impressed!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Everything you could ever hope for in a hostel bar a bar. But there's plenty of those a stones throw away. Beautiful rooms, Lounge room with dvd selection, incredible breakfast every morning and staff who are both friendly and attractive. Not the most central (its pretty damn close though) or the cheapest, but definitely worth it

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Lauderhill, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This place doesnt look very nice in the outside part but inside it is another world. Yes it is very small, but it has other stuffs that compesate for it, like free wifi, free breakfast, free food in the evenings, cleanliness, staff are very friendly and helpful, beds and linens are clean and comfortable, the bathroom and showers are very clean, the only problem I had was with the hot water because I didnt know how to regulate it, but the staff were very helpful and fast in the rescue. It is close to everything, so u dont have to be expending money in transportation. Maybe if u dont want to walk that much u can take the coach or bus, the staff will give u all the information u need. My friend and I stayed 2 nights in april 2013 and we loved it, if we come back to Cardiff again, we already know where we are going to stay. Thank u to The River House Backpackers for the awesome time u helped us to have.

Room Tip: Try to get the first floor rooms because stairs are very small and difficult to climb with suitcase
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hullbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I really loved that hostel. I stayed in a 4 beds room with two of my friends. Here's why:

1- We had a really nice welcome into the hostel by the owner. He was so nice!
2- It's a small hostel with a lot of character.
3- It's really clean, from the useful kitchen to the bathrooms!
4- The breakfast is AMAZING! I've visited maybe 15 hostels this year, and this one was the best I saw.
5- It's cheap!
6- It's close to the Cardiff Castle and the city centre
7- The shower and the toilet were together, like in a house. I really liked that!

The only negative point I noticed were the pillow, who were really thins and not confortables... Apart from that, it's my favorite hostel yet!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was a wonderful experience and a great value! My husband, me, my son, and my daughter stayed for 2 nights and found it to be quiet, and a good nights sleep. The breakfast was great and Charlie was very helpful and friendly. I would recommend it to anyone. It was an easy walk to the pub for dinner. The other guests were kind and interesting-a joy to be around. We asked our host a lot of questions and he answered them easily and graciously. A great experience! Thank you to Charlie for making it extra informative and friendly!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at the riverhouse, its very clean, feels homely when you walk in and the staff (Abi and Chris) are lovely, very helpful people! The breakfast is also top notch, wide variety of food from cereal to yoguart, pan au rasin and tons of jams and juices. I stayed there because its soo close to the milennium stadium and i had an xfactor audition! Its only a 5 mins walk to cardiff centre yet it is still in a quiet location. Nice patio area round the back and plenty of dvds and games in the lounge. The mixed 6 bed dorm i stayed in was clean and the bed was very comfy and the people sharing with me at the time were really nice too! Plenty of showers/toilets available which is handy in the mornings. I will defo use the riverhouse again for a cheeky weekend in cardiff! Can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed April 2013

Been to The River House Backpackers? Share your experiences!