“Good value - dont be put off by weekend revellers!” 4 of 5 stars

The Wyndham Arms
Dunraven Place, Bridgend CF31 1JE, Wales   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Bridgend
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Good value - dont be put off by weekend revellers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Arrived at around 10pm Saturday night to find the streets around the hotel full of 'revellers'. Overcoming my first inclination to keep the windows wound up and drive on I made it through the throng and up to the shuttered reception.desk.
The polite young guy there looked surprised when I asked for a quite room and told me that they rarely have complaints about noise.
Wow! Big surprise! My single room was just right!
Equal or better to a Premier Inn - but smaller. Nice firmish matress, a lovely feather duvet and big fluffy pillows. Nice furnishings. The bathroom was as expected with gallons of steaming hot water delivered at full blast.
I got a undisturbed nights sleep and if you dont mind the weekend partying nearby I can recommend the Wyndham Arms - which is a Weatherspoons pub.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lisa W, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments about your recent stay. We are pleased to hear that you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us and that you were not put off by our town centre location. Here at the Wyndham Arms we pride ourselves on the quality of our rooms and our excellent value for money, and it is always great to hear that our customers feel that we are providing them with affordable and comfortable accommodation.
Many thanks from all of us here at the Wyndham Arms, Bridgend.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

As with most Weatherspoons, you get what you pay for, good value and no frills. Staff friendly and helpful, food good without being gourmet and rooms basic but clean and comfortable.

No problem with checking in, friendly. Room a decent size, bathroom clean, and bed comfy.
Had lunch, again good value, an added bonus for me was that there was a beer festival on, so enjoyed trying a few different beers at excellent prices.
Only problem with the bathroom was that the "flusher" on the toilet needed pumping vigorously to work. Then on Sunday morning, the kettle didn't work so we had to go without a cuppa.

Mentioned at checkout, and the receptionist was full of apologies.Unlikely we'll need to stay in Bridgend again,but if we do, then would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisa W, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your review, please accept our apologise for the problems with the toilet and the kettle during your stay. Although our rooms are of high standards we understand that occasionally there are faults and we are pleased that overall your opinion was affected and that you would stay here again.
Here at the Wyndham Arms we like to think that our customer service, value for money and the excellent quality of our rooms provides for a good nights stay, and we are pleased that you felt the same.
Carnforth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was apprehensive about stopping at a wetherspoons expecting it to be noisy and possibly at a low standard. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and eventually warm once the wall heater got going. The bed was comfortable. I had to book a family room as it was the only room available and was asked if I wanted to have the 3rd bed taken out. I didn't think it was necessary and the room was large enough to take 3 beds. I was given 2 key cards so I could leave the heating on and had electricity, very useful for charging my iPad when out! On the day of departure I didn't have to start work until 2 and was able to keep the room on at no extra charge so I didn't have to 'walk the streets' from 11am.
Even if you are not a fan of wetherspoons the accommodation and staff are faultless.
I travel a lot with my job and stay in all sorts of hotels. This is as good as any other budget hotel if not better as the staff go beyond the call of duty.
My only criticism is completely out of the hotel's control and that is the road sweepers clean about 6.30 in the morning so for me no alarm needed! But considering the accommodation is above the pub you can't not hear the cliental at all.

• Stayed March 2013
bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night last minute for just under £30. It was a Sunday so ate here as most restaurants seemed closed. The food was quick and of good quality. The staff were polite and check in was easy. The room was spotless. The ensuite was a little old looking but functional. Can't fault it!

• Stayed March 2013
Howden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night on business.
Single room was terrific value.
Clean, tidy and well decorated.
My en suite was very small but functional.
Staff were excellent.
I ate downstairs in the pub and the food was good value although my medium steak was cremated.
Quickly sorted though.
I stayed with a room, evening meal with a drink, cooked breakfast and a pot of tea for under £40 which in this day and age is top value.
One thing to note is that Bridgend town centre is one of those bollard end off pedestrian precincts which means you can't get you car near, and I found a car park opposite the shopping centre a few hundred yards away.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lisa W, Manager at The Wyndham Arms, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel. Here at the Wyndham Arms we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service skills, and our unbeatable value for money. We are happy to read that you have also picked up on these attributes and that you had a welcoming and enjoyable stay. We hope to see you again soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed for one night for valentines day .Fantastic price for under £30 .staff were very polite and helpful .food was fantastic and very reasonable .room was clean and pleasant .all in all will definately be back soon as the stay was great only let down by on arrival had to wait for a while to be let in and then had to go to the bar to find someone to check us in ,have noticed this in a few reviews so hopefully theyll correct this problem and it will be perfect .

• Stayed February 2013
Jacksonville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I went there for business and frankly was disappointed. My room was pretty small and the bathroom was tiny. The bed was ok, but a bit too firm for my taste. The pub downstairs is nice, the Eggs Benedict for breakfast was very good. The Ales are excellent. However, a big problem is that the rooms don't have wifi. That's a huge problem for me, being overseas and trying to work or Skype family.

I also had a problem with housekeeping that was pretty bad. But, I do have to say, the management was very responsive and apologetic and handled the situation very well. Having said that, it should NEVER have happened in the first place.

The location is ideal for me, being within walking distance to the office. Maybe it was just a bad first experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you find out about the room. From what I understand, each room is different.