“Pony trekking at Parc-Le-Breos: great way to spend a morning” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #172 of 259 Activities in Southern Wales
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
Nottingham, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Pony trekking at Parc-Le-Breos: great way to spend a morning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We went on a half-day pony trek at Parc-Le-Breos, which cost £35 per person. The group meets at 09:45 and the session begins with a talk about riding and a chance to meet and brush down your horse before you tack up. The staff assume little / no prior knowledge, so if you are an experienced rider you need to be prepared to go over the basics again, but our friend who rides regularlary still very much enjoyed the session. The group had a good mix of ages too, both children and adults. The ride itself was a gentle walk with the occasional trot, although more experienced riders can canter. We went up the hills to see stunning scenery, including the local beaches. The group walks in a row that seemed to be largely ordered in terms of level of experience, so be aware that you might not necessarily get to ride next to your friends / family members. That was a bit of a surprise to us, but we still all had a really good time and met some other lovely people too. Also, be aware that with arriving at 09:45 and then not getting back to the base until 13:00ish, it is quite a long time to go without a drink, especially if it is a hot and sunny day, so you might want to take something with you. It was a really nice way to spend a morning and I would recommend it to anybody that wants to give horse-riding a go or already enjoys riding and doesn't mind going at a gentle pace alongside beginners! Two of us had only been riding once before (two years ago) and the staff made us very comfortable with clear instructions. The horses did a good job to put us at ease too.

Visited June 2012

Cwmafan, United Kingdom
“this place is fab if you want no nosense quietness!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

What a find, this is a family run business and has been for 40 years(when you talk to Olive she will tell you) and thats the feel you get when you stay there.....its as if you have become part of the family for the duration of your stay.
Beautiful grounds, lovely rooms and the food is ....homely. Dont expect finest cusine this is a B and B at the end of the day. There are fantastic walks from the house either down to unspolit beaches or woodlands and if you want 'city' life then Swansea is only 10 miles away.
Great place ........my wife and I loved it

north east England
3 attraction reviews
“Chaos, but nice with it....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

Booking the holiday was difficult through the internet so decided to phone. Room booked but needed to be confirmed. I rang again after a few days to find the person in charge wasn't there but was assured the room was booked and a deposit taken. Never got a confirmation but hey, they had my credit card deposit! About two weeks before our holiday, they rang to ask if we still wanted the room! When we got there they were expecting us but it was terribly chaotic. You couldn't tell the staff from the guests - no uniforms or dress code whatever: in fact dinner was served by a very nice man in sandshoes and shorts (had he just finished mucking out the horses I wonder? I was stung by a wasp on the first night and hence couldn't sleep for worrying about what was crawling on me. We told them there was a wasp nest above the window and that the wasps were getting in whether the window was open or closed and they did say they would deal with it. However, for the remainder of the week we were troubled by the wasps which was very worrying. The food was cooked on an aga: that means the bacons dried up and hard and the eggs solid. Every breakfast was luke warm although I'm sure the food was fresh and local but not hot by the time it was served. Everyone was very friendly and the room was fine. Although I found I couldn't sleep, not only because of the wasps, but because there was a 12 top quilt on the bed. I removed the quilt and found a blanket (useful) and thought if I put the quilt away they would change the quilt cover for a proper sheet. They didn't. I also stepped on a wasp which was crawling across the carpet.

Another thing I didn't like concerned the local walking routes which are shown on their website. Three cliffs bay, it is claimed, was a short ten or twenty minute after dinner stroll. We arrived mid afternoon and it was sunny so decided to do the walk before dinner which was at 6.00 pm. We set off at 3pm thinking we would have plenty of time. We only just got back at 5.45pm! Puffed (hadn't dared to stop and admire the view in case we missed dinner), hot and tired we made it back. The gentle stroll had turned into a 2 hr plus hike and of course because it was a stroll (!) we didn't take any food or water. One of the reasons we chose this place as a base for our walking was because of the easy access to the local area. This just isn't the case and I'd like to see them amend their web site accordingly.