“Nice bit of lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Brecon
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Nice bit of lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Whilst visiting the town we asked a local shop keeper if they could recommend somewhere to go for a spot of lunch. The George was somewhere that was pointed out to us so we wandered in that direction and had a look at the menu before going in. We only wanted something simple so the Baguettes and sandwiches sounded perfect and there was a good selection.

We sat in the nice, sunny and very warm conservatory. I opted for the Roast Beef Baguette whilst my partner had the local cheese and chutney bloomer sandwich. Now my partner can sometimes be a bit picky not wanting any kind of butter/spread or dressings on her plate and she was accomodated very well. Infact she really enjoyed her sandwich to the point that we asked what the local chutney was. The waitress informed us what it was and even gave us directions on where we could pick up a jar ourselves. My Roast Beef roll was equally as nice and stuffed with tasty beef and some of the gravy.

We both left very happy and sated from our meal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I had mty worst ever meal in the restaurant here- Venison en croute- meat like rubber, pastry so gluey it was just a stogy mess, lumpy celeriac mash. My partners food was equally bad- over cooked lamb covered in sludgy gravy. The food was just slopped onto the plate by someone who clearly didn't give a damn. And its pretty pricy too!! I was compensated for one of the meals ( Should have been both) and also wrote a letter to the management informing them of my bad experience.....heard nothing back. On two seperate visits I have had bad food here so my advice is to go somewhere else- theres a pretty good sounding nepalese restaurant round the corner which would definately be better and also a chippy which would also be better, at least in value for money terms. Anyhow, avoid this place if you want decently cooked food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I visit Brecon a few times a year, and generally have a drink in the bar of this hotel. It's a pleasant open space, with lots of seating area. The bar staff have always been friendly, and the local beers well kept. On my recent visit the CWRW beer from Evan Evans brewers was in particularly good condition.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Somerset, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

What can I say? I dont want to give this hotel a poor report, but it is/was. The rooms are poor and shabby to say the least. The en-suite is a disaster of uncleanliness, carpets and poor fittings. No heating turned on in the room. Squeaky beds. Minature television. The food is average and service is unco-operative for options or general basic hotel requirements. Just to finish things off, at breakfast we had a cleaner using Brasso on the door fixtures whilst everyone was eating (if you know Brasso you can imagine the smell) and he wondered why there were complaints. I am glad my wife is not with me as she would demand a refund!!!!!! If this is ranked no: 2 in Brecon watch out for the rest! If anybody rates this better they must be related to the owners! I wont be back.

Room Tip: Stayed in the annexe, this was not good. Hopefully better in the main hotel? Who knows, I wont be fi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Castleford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

First things first, the staff at the George Hotel were generally friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent, the portion sizes in the restaurant enormous and the free Wi Fi was really strong, connecting easily and strongly.

However, there were a number of things about the hotel that were "not quite right": for example:
1) We found the reception and stairs area dark, unwelcoming and a little careworn.
2) There were no batteries in the TV remote control.
3) The toilet bowl in our room needed a dose of Viakal (or disinfectant).
4) The TV screen was probably the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel room.
5) The toilet and en-suite was carpeted.
6) The ceilings did not insulate the noise from the room above - every footstep could be heard.
7) The uneven floor in the bedroom was disconcerting (although it was expected given earlier reviews on Trip Advisor).

None of these items are showstoppers but, taken together, they present a picture of a hotel that could be so much better and, given the prices charged, probably should be. Because of this, the George Hotel is not one to which I would hurry back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I've been to this pub on many occasions & have always been impressed with the food, drinks and service. Lovely conservatory & small but nice outside terrace. Great vibe here for the Fringe festival.

My husband & I recently hired the function room for our wedding drinks reception. Eleanor & her team could not have been more helpful - they were excellent hosts and we couldn't have hoped for a better service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I come regularly for morning coffee, sometimes lunch, or a pint, and occasionally supper. Staff are fun and friendly and the food is great with very reasonable prices.
Haven't stayed here since 2004 so I can't comment on the rooms, but as far as everything else go's you can't go wrong here.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!