“Children unwelcome... rude staff...” 1 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are an Inn with 5 en-suite bedrooms,also restaurant,
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Children unwelcome... rude staff...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

Growing up in Swansea this restaurant has been a firm favourite for years in our family. So when we made a recent trip to Brecon we prepared ourselves for a lovely feast in what we remembered to be a friendly, hearty pub, with outstanding views, a warm atmosphere and friendly welcoming staff.

My husband and our two children pulled up in what looked like a run down version of the white fronted establishment we remembered. We ventured inside to find the chef (and I presume owner) slung over the bar looking us up and down. He immediately informed me, in a very cold manner, that they didn't have a children’s menu. When I said we would choose something from the main menu, he grunted that we HAD to sit in the dinning room, despite the pub being empty.

Understanding that pubs are not for children we duly went along to the dinning area, and picked up the menu. As we passed through the doorway my eldest commented on the disgusting smell emanating from the room. My husband and youngest went to the loo.

Looking through the menu there was little choice; it was overpriced and had designs above itself. There was literally nothing we fancied and the room (which was once a friendly welcoming warm atmosphere) was cold run down and smelly.

Returning from the toilet my husband looked at the menu and I said he didn't really fancy anything. He commented on the state of the toilets and said he wasn't really comfortable eating there. We decided to leave.

On our way out the obnoxious man at the bar who had stared down his nose at me muttered to his one customer "typical they only wanted the toilet".

I was furious!!!! For years we have visited Brecon and taken a trip to this lovely restaurant. I'm horrified at the attitude of this. How he expects to do business is beyond me. We should have known when at 1:30 on a Saturday afternoon his establishment was empty - that in itself speaks volumes.

The Tai'r Bull was once a friendly, warm, hearty pub. We aren't adverse to fine dining and our kids are quite used to visiting nice restaurants where a degree of decorum is necessary. This guy clearly thought we weren't good enough to eat in his establishment - I predict he won't be there for long!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Penarth, United Kingdom
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Returning from day trip to Ludlow back home to Penarth and called in for evening meal.
Chose Specials - Steak in peppercorn sauce and meatballs and pasta. Both meals of good portions and well cooked. Whilst not cheap by some standards, good value for money.
Friendly Chef (owner) and staff chatted from the bar whilst we ate.
Enjoyable experience.

Visited February 2011
Dolgellau
“Very good Sunday Lunch + a choice of food with a difference too.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

Stopped off by chance at the Tai'r Bull with my wife and student daughter looking for some Sunday Lunch. Although busy, the owner (Chef) and Staff made us welcome. My wife had Roast Pork, my daughter had Roast Beef and I had Roast Goose Breast. Each, may I say, substantial meal was served with a generous individual sellection of the usual Sunday Lunch trimmings together with some more unusual, and welcome, additions. For Dessert my wife had Apple Crumble and Custard, my daughter had Creme Brulee and I had Fig, Plum and pistachio Tart. There was large sellection of soft drinks for my wife and daughter and an excellent draft beer for me. We were pleased to see that even small children were welcome. We shall definitely be dining here again in future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Pub with a soul, a dog and a very entertaining chef (and owner)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

From the minute we entered the pub section in the Tai'r Bull Country Inn, after a long day trek in the Brecon Beacons, we took an instant liking to it. Because how can you not like a roaring fire on a cold night, a big (no offence here, but I wouldn't trust a skinny one :) chef, a huge black dog, who made his brief appereance and a great selection of local ales. And as for the food - beautifully garnished, served in generous amounts (quite important, when you're starving) and surprisingly good. If you lucky enogh, you may get a free desert and a few jokes from the very entertaining chef :) Thank you Dave, we've had a great night!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wales
“Impressive Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

My wife and I called at the Tai'r Bull Inn whilst passing and what a find. The pub is set in a stunning location with views of the Brecon Beacons.

we had a wonderful Sunday lunch, the meal was an excellent portion size, providing great value. We will be back to sample more of the menu.

• Visited December 2010