“Very good Sunday Lunch + a choice of food with a difference too.” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are an Inn with 5 en-suite bedrooms,also restaurant,
Dolgellau
“Very good Sunday Lunch + a choice of food with a difference too.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

Stopped off by chance at the Tai'r Bull with my wife and student daughter looking for some Sunday Lunch. Although busy, the owner (Chef) and Staff made us welcome. My wife had Roast Pork, my daughter had Roast Beef and I had Roast Goose Breast. Each, may I say, substantial meal was served with a generous individual sellection of the usual Sunday Lunch trimmings together with some more unusual, and welcome, additions. For Dessert my wife had Apple Crumble and Custard, my daughter had Creme Brulee and I had Fig, Plum and pistachio Tart. There was large sellection of soft drinks for my wife and daughter and an excellent draft beer for me. We were pleased to see that even small children were welcome. We shall definitely be dining here again in future.

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Pub with a soul, a dog and a very entertaining chef (and owner)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

From the minute we entered the pub section in the Tai'r Bull Country Inn, after a long day trek in the Brecon Beacons, we took an instant liking to it. Because how can you not like a roaring fire on a cold night, a big (no offence here, but I wouldn't trust a skinny one :) chef, a huge black dog, who made his brief appereance and a great selection of local ales. And as for the food - beautifully garnished, served in generous amounts (quite important, when you're starving) and surprisingly good. If you lucky enogh, you may get a free desert and a few jokes from the very entertaining chef :) Thank you Dave, we've had a great night!

• Visited January 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wales
“Impressive Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

My wife and I called at the Tai'r Bull Inn whilst passing and what a find. The pub is set in a stunning location with views of the Brecon Beacons.

we had a wonderful Sunday lunch, the meal was an excellent portion size, providing great value. We will be back to sample more of the menu.

• Visited December 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Delicious food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

We stumbled upon this gem after a long, cold, snowy walk in the Brecon Beacons. I had grilled pork bellies with bbq sauce which was simply brilliant. The portion size was good too and the home made chips really hit the spot. My friends by all accounts loved their meals as well. I wish I could been able to have had dessert as the creame brulee looked wonderful and the rest of the dessert menu sounded great.

The ambiance was a slight let down but the chef and his junior colleague were welcoming, attentive and provided a good level of service.

I will definitely return when I can.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chepstow, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended - sorely disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Went to this Inn after reading good reviews and it being recommended in a Bird Walking book. We arrived expecting a fire and inglenook areas to find a cold bar area and even colder staff. We were hurried to make a decision as there was a queue, 1 group came in behind us. Once ordered we had to get our own drinks from the fridge on the bar side, and when asked if there were any other tables got rudely told they only had what we could see. On investigation we found a seating area on the way to the toilets but it was being used as a dumping ground.

From our table I could see into the kitchens, the pasta seemed to be pre cooked and then warmed up in plastic bags, but on a positive note the chips were homemade although a bit salty to my taste.

As we continued to eat the Chef / barman bellowed at his pot wash, we could hear the whole thing and made us all very uncomfortable. The coke cola man was also there meaning / fitting a new system which made outrageous noises which just turned comical while we were eating.

The chef then proceeded to have a coughing fit while in the kitchen and from our view point we could see he continued to prepare food with both hands so where did the germs go? Needless to say we did not have a pudding.

We paid almost £40 for 3 people all on soft (only 1 each) drinks. To me it was overly priced and could have been so much more welcoming and friendly. The pub has huge potential but we were made to feel rushed and unwanted.

Not the relaxing lunch we had hoped for.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere