“Very nice pub and hotel” 4 of 5 stars

The Wellington Hotel
The Bulwark, Brecon, Brecon Beacons National Park LD3 7AD, Wales   |
Ranked #29 of 48 Brecon B&B and Inns
Reading, England, United Kingdom
“Very nice pub and hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed for a weekend in February, great service and a nice hotel. It is run by Brains brewery with a good pub downstairs serving food at good price/quality of the sort you would expect from from a pubco type place. We were in the front of the hotel on the 1st floor looking out onto the square, so it was noisy outside at times with revellers passing on Saturday night. As others have said no parking at hotel itself but there is very cheap parking available within 5 mins walk of the hotel. Would recommend and plan on staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The wellington in the centre of Brecon has had various incarnations and owners over the years. It is currently run by Brains and the whole downstairs has been opened up so it also serves as a drinks and meals venue, but they have retained one room to the side as a more traditional lounge aqnd dining room.

Our room was large, light, airy and not, as in most hotels, overheated. The shower was a little disappointing - i like a nice hard blast and it was a little dribbly. Breakfast was fine except i asked for grapefruit to start and it never arrived.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I booked a room for me and my girlfriend by accident here thinking it was a different hotel but we gave it a go. There is no parking for the hotel but there is a car park
Behind it at a reasonable price. When we entered it resembled a weatherspoons and our hearts sank and we dreaded what would be in store. When we got to our room it was spacious and clean, a HUGE bed and a nice view of the square. I would say that if you had difficulty walking the stairs would be a problem as its a old building with uneven stairs and floors but I would recommend. Very enjoyable

• Stayed February 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We didnt stay here, so did not see the rooms. We have just been sledging in the snow and decided to stop here for some food and a pint. Excellent food and efficient friendly staff, especially Gareth. Clean,great decoration, cosy fire places - we will be back.......

• Stayed January 2013
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The exterior of the old hotel in the centre of Brecon is old and grand.
Downstairs was quite warm and welcoming but decor rather tired.
Bedrooms were quite dated and are in need of an up grade, but perfectly clean and functionable.

Staff were friendly and courteous. Breakfast was excellent and service good.

Pity the pub closed around 10pm on New years Eve, we were hoping for more.

Over all it was excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I booked this hotel for a night on NYE with my girlfriend. After booking I came across trip adviser and read some of the reviews for the hotel. It placed a really negative image in my mind and i actually considered cancelling my stay based on the reviews. I'm glad I didn't! I personally thought the hotel looks amazing from the outside, upon entry I was greeted by friendly, helpful staff. I was pleasantly surprised when I got into my room. It was spacious, modern, very clean, a huge bed and a nice view of the square. I really don't understand what people are complaining about. If I wanted to be really picky...the hall ways and corridors could do with a makeover but lets be honest, that had no impact on my stay in this hotel. Oh, and there was no coffee, tea, milk, etc to go with the kettle. That's it, the only bad thing I could point out. Excellent value for money in a great location.

• Stayed December 2012
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We spent a couple of nights at the Wellington with family between Xmas and New Year 2012 and after reading some of the comments on Trip Advisor I thought I should redress the balance, because we were pleasantly surprised (particularly at the accommodation)

Whats Good: On arrival we were greeted by friendly and welcoming staff who showed us to our rooms and immediately made us feel very much at home. We all stayed in newly refurbished rooms on the top floor (the rooms were apparently gutted and renovated top to bottom during a refurb in Nov/Dec 2012) - the rooms were a good size, nicely decorated with super kingsize beds, flat screen tv, tea and coffee making, basic but spotless bathrooms with a good powerful shower.

Down stairs the hotel bar has an open fire and a cozy feel about it - we ate several items off the pub menu and all the food we tried was tasty and good value for money (the Welsh burgers were a particular hit with our group). Also good was the range of real ales - Brains SA turning out to be a particular favourite

Whats Not So Good: The hotel is right in the middle of Brecon town centre and is opposite a taxi rank, so late night noise could potentially be an issue for light sleepers. Similarly, due to its town centre location, car parking before 6pm can require a short walk to a nearby car park

In summary, this is very agreeable older style hotel that has been refurbished to a good standard and as such I would have no hesitation in recommending to others or using again

Room Tip: Rooms on the opposite side to the high street are quiter