“Clean, comfortable and great quality of sleep but spa let down!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2 Nights, Save 30%
Ranked #3 of 9 hotels in Wrexham
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Clean, comfortable and great quality of sleep but spa let down!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

On entering the Hotel we were greeted at reception by extremely friendly staff and were immediately given out room key. We were in room 207 which was a twin room. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room! So much space and such comfortable beds! The room had a contemporary feel to it and was very clean with crisp white linen and warm quilts. The decor was really lovely. The only thing I would say is that I would like feather pillows, even though the pillows were lovely. They could also maybe put some spare pillows in the rooms. The bathroom also was really large and was decorated so tastefully. Lots of clean fresh towels and a great power shower. It was sparkling clean too and looked brand new! Gorgeous toiletries too. Sleep quality was fantastic. Room temperature was perfect and it has to be one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed in. Having said that it wasnt very busy. We ordered room service as arrived back from a concert quite late and sandwiches were the only option, but they were the best room service sandwiches I have ever tasted. For only £6.95 I had roast beef and horseradish and they were in a triple decker sandwich and full of beef and just the right amount of horseradish. So tasty!. We ordered just over £20 of food and if you go over £20 they dont charge you a tray charge which is great. All Hotels should start doing this! Also it was lightening quick service. There is a really large flat screen tv, iron, ironing board, hairdryer, tea, coffee etc so really everything you need for a comfortable stay. Breakfast was very varied and nothing was too much trouble for staff. The only thing negative I can say about this Hotel is the spa and gym! Really poor. Really small and you couldnt get too many people in there. Overall though fantastic Hotel. Well done Ramada and you should be proud of all your staff

Room Tip: We were in room 207 and it was really large twin room and was at the back of the Hotel so not facing...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
StuartMackieGM, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Wrexham, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Many thanks for your very detailed review of the Ramada Plaza following on from your recent stay with us. It is always so positive to read such reviews particularly as they cover so many areas of the Hotel. Please be assured that all the Hotel staff will be made aware of your review and I do hope that you are able to return to stay with us again sometime in the near future. I must admit that at times we also wish we had bigger leisure facilities, maybe something for the future. Many thanks once again.

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a single night when attending a convention. I stayed in an executive room and was delighted to be greeted by a plate of fresh fruit, 2 bottles of water and a small box of Lidt chocolates when entered my room. There was an excellent selection of hot drinks available in the room as well as an iron and ironing board, hair dryer, bathrobes and a good selection of toiletries. The room was large, very clean and I had a great night sleep. I was also impressed that the rooms had all the usual freeview tv channels as well as Sky Sports.

There was an executive lounge available for all guests staying in an executive room and was located a few doors along from my room. The lounge is a large room with leather chairs, newspapers and a tv. There are hot drink facilities and bottles of water available. I had a look in the lounge in the evening and it was empty but I'm sure it does get busy during the day.

I did make use of the leisure facilities and used the sauna and large hot tub. There is no swimming pool at this hotel but the facilities which were available were all in good condition and clean.

I would definitely return to this hotel if I ever need to return to the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us here at the Ramada Plaza Wrexham. It is always pleasing to read such positive reviews covering so many areas of the Hotel's facilities. Hopefully, we will get the chance to welcome you back to the Hotel sometime in the near future.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the hotel. Overall it was a nice stay- I paid £119 for 2 of us for 2 nights booked through the internet. I dont feel the hotel is worth the £130 per room you could pay on arrival.

First impressions- very clean. Quiet- for a friday evening there was one other person in the restaurant. Check in- quick and efficient- however was asked whilst in the middle of taking our details to wait while the receptionist answered the phone..

Room- good sized, immaculately clean (yet torn bedding-not what I would expect to see). The beds- not a great night sleep, the mattresses were dated. However overall quiet, and good facilities for tea and coffee etc. downside- couldn't use the fridge.

Restaurant- the food was good, small niggles such as the potatoes being undercooked- not what you would expect when the bill was £71. Excellent waiter called Adam- absolutely fantastic service from him. The others- quite slow. (20 minutes to be brought your drinks?!)

Nice hotel, clean, quiet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us here at the Ramada Plaza Wrexham. Again, many thanks for bringing to my attention a couple of issues you had during your stay and please be assured that these will be discussed and addressed with my Head Housekeeper and Reception Manager. Also, as with all reviews I will ensure that the staff you mentioned by name know about your positive comments about him. I trust that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel sometime in the near future.
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed here as part of a conference venue. It was exactly as tou would expect from a big chain. Clean, shiny even, but a bit soulless.

The bar meal were overpriced, but tasty enough - £10+ for fish and chips. Is that a lot a lot?

We managed to get executive rooms at knock down price courtesy of an aggressive negotiator at our end, so the rooms were pretty good value. Normal rates looked pretty steep.

The rooms my colleagues and me were in had the beds at a strange diagonal angle, which s a
bit disconcerting. The rooms did have sky sports channels which was handy for me, although my female colleagues weren't so excited.

Slept like a log, so the beds must have been OK. Staff all seemed keen to please, but you can't help thinking these chains really skimp on staffing levels, so they were all really busy, rushing everywhere.

Couple of details. Before going I looked on the net to see if there was a pool. It said pool/jacuzzi, so I took my trunks, but there was no pool.

The morning alarm call was ten minutes late, but I was already awake.

I'd forgotten my mobile charger, so I asked behind the desk, and they were very happy to provide a free charger (presumably left behind by a previous customer) which I handed back at the end of the day, which was a bit of a life saver.

In other words, routine experience for Ramada type hotel, but staff added a human touch.

Room Tip: See if you can negotiate a deal on standard rates.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us here at the Ramada Plaza Wrexham. Again, many thanks for bringing to my attention a couple of issues you had during your stay and please be assured that these will be addressed. I trust that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel sometime in the near future.
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have stayed here many times usually for convenience if starting work early or arriving late. It has plenty of free parking but is located on the business park out by the bypass so a fair walk or taxi ride into town.

The first thing that struck me on arrival was the noise in the bar due to a wedding party. This seemed to be preoccupying all the staff and I wasn't given a friendly greeting by the reception supervisor nor welcomed as a Wyndham Rewards member and had to chase the benefits associated with this and the room booking. This meant I didn't get settled for about 40 minutes after arrival and didn't get a chance to explore the fitness room before dinner!

I sat down for an early meal with colleagues as we had an early start in the morning. Even though the restaurant was empty we were sat nearest the bar and wedding disco which beacame tedious as we had to raise our voices over the noise and the meal dragged on for over 2 hours due to slow service. Food quality for all was very good with decent size portions (apart from the cheese and biscuts which was miserley). Wine was good.

Sleep was interrupted by activities outside including fighting by the wedding guests so we all had a story to tell in the morning. We managed to get back for breakfast which was very good. Plenty to chose from and excellent porridge!

So all in all not quite the relaxing evening I was looking forward to but very convenient as we were working locally.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
StuartMackieGM, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Wrexham, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us here at the Ramada Plaza Wrexham. It is always constructive to hear the views of our guests and while I appreciate your comments about the wedding guests we do everything with-in our power to ensure they do not affect the stay of other guests. There is no excuse for the unfriendly welcome and this matter will be addressed. We act on all feedback and please be assured that all of your comments have been noted and will be addressed. Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights, business trip. Bedrooms modern, adequately furnished, and very comfortable bed. Very clean. The spa was closed for maintenance, a disappointment! The first night there were about 15 of us staying and we ate in a function room, from the three-course set menu (which costs around £20, quite reasonable). Adequate food, generally quite acceptable although nothing fancy. My dessert, lemon/lime tart was however tired and soggy. The next night I was on my own, ate in the restaurant from the a la carte menu, better quality certainly. I ordered a glass of Pinot Grigio, and was served a completely undrinkable wine, which I complained about; the head waiter immediately removed it, and offered me a choice of two alternative wines; having sampled the bottle from which my original glass had been poured he realised I was right! He did not charge me for the replacement, which I appreciated. However, the choice of house wines was not great and the wine list pretty perfunctory. Anyway, all in all, my stay was not bad at all, and I would certainly return for a night or two stay. I don't think you could do much better in the area unless you go out to one of the country house hotels in the nearby countryside. Just over £100 Dinner, B&B, in the middle of the winter.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us here at the Ramada Plaza Wrexham. It is always positive to read such feedback with regards to many parts of your stay with us. I have to apologise for the spa being down for maintenance, unfortunately we were awaiting delivery of a replacement part. Also, many thanks for the feedback regarding the wine and dessert. As with all such comments I shall be discussing these with my team here at the Hotel. Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I enjoyed the night here on a recent organised tour.

The room was modern and spacious, particularly the design of the bathroom.

What blew me away was the food and service. We had a buffet dinner booked for our arrival which is always a bit of a cause for concern however the food was of excellent quality. There were both hot and cold options as well as dishes for non meat eaters. Two thumbs up to the kitchen team from me. Breakfast was also excellent.

I visited the bar on a few occasions and was met with a great selection of local and imported beers and very friendly staff. In fact I didn't come across anyone working here who wasn't up for a decent chat. Something lacking in the service industry these days.

Keep it up.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
StuartMackieGM, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Wrexham, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us here at the Ramada Plaza Wrexham. Always pleasing to read such reviews in view of the fact it covers so many areas of the Hotel which you commented on. Great to read your comments regarding the staff, please be assured your comments will be passed on to all the staff. Enjoy the rest of your holiday in the UK.
General Manager.

Been to Ramada Plaza Wrexham? Share your experiences!