“I am planning to return this year...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Erw Fair Guesthouse

Erw Fair Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Llanberis
Erw Fair Guesthouse
High Street, Llanberis, Snowdonia National Park LL55 4HA, Wales   |
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Llanberis
Limerick
“I am planning to return this year...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Loved this place! Drove my crappy 1988 Volkswagen Jetta there in 2004, with some friends from a walking club I was in, that car was so bad; I enjoyed the banter with Martin, he was so right! - it blew a heater hose at the top of the Pen-Y-Pass but my McGyver skills and a cold journey back to Limerick, Ireland got us home..my more upmarket 1999 Honda Cr-V brought me and my wife back there in late September 2011 on our way back from a great UK driving holiday, and I plan to steer that same CR-V there again late this year with a friend - we want to do some walking in Snowdonia again. Only for the Persian cat I remembered back in '04 I would never have remembered the place when re-booking in 2011! Martin and Sally are truly genuine hosts, I look forward to meeting up and having the craic again, the breakfasts/packed lunches were great, and they were so homely. Martin even insisted on us taking an umbrella when we were going out to the restaurant one evening as it looked like rain - this is a great place to explore Snowdonia from, I was glad to ditch the CR-V and take the Snowdon Sherpa bus from across the road, for only a couple of quid it takes you to Pen-y-pass car park where the best Snowdon walks start, this car park fills up so quickly and costs over a tenner, so having this bus service so near Erw Fair is a big plus. Also I clocked the journey from here to Holyhead at only 38 miles/50 minutes approx so it should be a big draw for other Irish visiting here. Looking forward to seeing you again Martin/Sally, regards Peter H, Limerick.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I've stayed at Erw Fair Guesthouse a couple of times now and I couldn't recommend it more...

A big part of the experience is the wonderful personalities that run the place - I hadn't known quite what to expect after reading some of the reviews but it's completely and utterly what makes the stay here!!! (on top of the ideal location, the lovely rooms, and the amazing breakfasts!)

Sally is extremely personable kind, friendly and a wonderful cook and Martin is a character with an amazingly dry sense of humour. Most of what he says is in good humour / tongue in cheek and I actually think he makes the experience because he's sooo funny! A lot of the guests I spoke with came back regularly just on this basis...

The B&B is a stone's throw away from a lovely lake where you can go and feed the ducks and there are some lovely pubs and restaurants in the vicinity.

Two lovely additional personalities I forgot to mention are Henry and Jack - the most gorgeous cats that also reside at Erw Fair! So beautiful.

Will definitely be staying again.

Room Tip: I personally have stayed in Room 4 - and rate it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
hornchurch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while we climbed Snowdon on the first day via The Snowdon Ranger Path, and climbed it again on the 2nd day via the Pyg track. Very comfortable, clean and homely guest house. Excellent porridge for breakfast, and excellent cooked breakfast. Also wide range of cereal and fresh fruit. Will stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

As a group of 3 20 something's, we usually find that arriving at hotels etc we are greeted with scepticism and a rude aroma of stereotypical judgement. However - after arriving early we decided to first walk up Snowdonia ( the long way around!!) and when we returned around tea time we were greeted with smiles and politeness from Martin and Sally - it quite literally felt like coming home! The house was immaculate and the new carpets felt even better underfoot after a 10 mile hike! The room was warm, clean and welcoming with very comfortable beds. Although shared, the bathrooms were lovely with free-to-use shampoo/conditioner/shower gels. Breakfast was fab, plenty of food, quick and efficient food prep and service with a smile! We would definitely visit again - it really could become a home-from-home!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Ive been coming to Llanberis for 32 years and have stayed in every available accomodation in the village. Erw Fair is perfect in every way. The location is superb with access to bus stops, taxis and local convenience stores being just minutes away. Ive read a lot of negative comments on here regarding the owners Martin and Sally, which is very surprising because they have been nothing short of wonderful to me (and my young daughter who adores their cats). It feels like walking into my second home when i stay with them.
The rooms are very spacious and very clean, the bed linen and towels are always fresh and soft but its the breakfasts that should get the biggest mention as they are delicious! Fried breakfasts using local produce, cereals, fruit and juices. My daughter has a craving for cheese on toast at the moment and that was no problem come breakfast time despite it not being on the menu!
Im planning my next visit sometime in 2013 and without doubt, i will be staying at Erw Fair again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Recently, I had the opportunity to stay here with some friends and we had a super time, I think the fabulous weather made it that little more enjoyable climbing Snowdonia.

Having already read the reviews, I was warned but didn't really believe that one of the owners could be that bad. To be fair I think Martin is more socially inept than anything else, get him talking on Silverstone F1, holidays or sales (his previous job) then he is very communicative. Try small talk and forget it.

The rooms are clean, the breakfast very good and for 40-65GBP a night I don't think you could ask for more. One of my friends' recently returned here and very much enjoyed their stay too.

So, in short if you can get over the customer service not being in line with a large hotel chain then you will enjoy your stay too!

Room Tip: If you have the budget, opt for a room with en-suite
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I too had read the reviews about the owners before booking but decided to take them with a pinch of salt because when I phoned to book, Martin (the male co-owner) was helpful on the phone even though he started to be abrupt before the end of a short phonecall.

We were a small group of mixed gender responsible 30something adults with jobs including charity workers, a personal trainer and accountants, who were looking for somewhere to rest and wash after an attempt at the welsh 3000s.

When we arrived, at 9:15pm (after driving from London) we recieved a friendly greeting from Sally, the wife, however Martin was slumped on his sofa watching TV in his private room off the reception. When we asked where we could eat, Sally suggested 'The Heights' nearby when Martin interjected, not too bother because "its 9:30, the kitchens closed". We went anyway to ask as there was no where else open and the manager of the bar informed us that we could eat and we had until 10pm to order our food! - at not one point did he get up, say hello, move or even turn his head while speaking to some paying guests that had just arrived.

Sally proceeded tp show us around the place while be friendly but making sure to tell us that if our delayed friends arrived after 10:30pm - to call us and not ring the bell to be let in.

The rooms were clean and comfortable, but small and kept too hot. The beds may have used those plastic undersheets (unconfirmed) as I woke up a few times very sweaty, which only happens to me when said sheets are used, but I didnt dare say anything in case Martin flew into one of his rants. The bathrooms are shared but it was nice that they provided, shower gells, shamppos and soap. However you are not allowed to use the bath. However the breakfasts are generous, cooked, cereal and continental, even though some of the food may of been tinned, and the time slots are tight, you must have it between 8and9.

We were mostly away from the guesthouse but the few times we were there, Martin was rude, abrupt and unhelpful, turns his back to you and IMHO came across as hating his job and didnt really want people in his house/B&B.

On our last day - we were checking out early between 9 and 10am - when we mislaid one of the keys, however one of our group had gone to the shops and we informed Martin, that he probably had it and we'd wait till he got back - we had already twice searched our bags and cars while Martin stood scowling over us from his doorway with his arms crossed, he then proceeded upstairs and started uptuening all the rooms we hadused before our friend had even returned.
Our friend got back and had the said missing key and which point Martin swore at us all calling us a name and told us how we had been trouble since we arrived, put a knob of butter in the dining room carpet floor and used more than one table for breakfast on the 1st morning. When I finally had the courage to give him some complaints of our own and constructive feedback, he said he didnt care for the likes of our sort and the slammed the door on us.

Unfortunately as you can tell, I can not recommend this place to stay and I should of trusted the other reviews. I have tried to be balanced and said the location, breakfasts and place was clean, but I could never feel welcome in my regular trips to the area again as these days the only things that really makes a difference between most hotels is the way you are treated while your there.

However one thumbs up does go to the freindliest member of staff, Henry the Cat!

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else to saty
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Erw Fair Guesthouse? Share your experiences!