“Comfortable stay. Great breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Erw Fair Guesthouse

Erw Fair Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Llanberis
Erw Fair Guesthouse
You added Erw Fair Guesthouse to your Saves list
High Street, Llanberis, Snowdonia National Park LL55 4HA, Wales   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Llanberis
hornchurch
“Comfortable stay. Great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while we climbed Snowdon on the first day via The Snowdon Ranger Path, and climbed it again on the 2nd day via the Pyg track. Very comfortable, clean and homely guest house. Excellent porridge for breakfast, and excellent cooked breakfast. Also wide range of cereal and fresh fruit. Will stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

As a group of 3 20 something's, we usually find that arriving at hotels etc we are greeted with scepticism and a rude aroma of stereotypical judgement. However - after arriving early we decided to first walk up Snowdonia ( the long way around!!) and when we returned around tea time we were greeted with smiles and politeness from Martin and Sally - it quite literally felt like coming home! The house was immaculate and the new carpets felt even better underfoot after a 10 mile hike! The room was warm, clean and welcoming with very comfortable beds. Although shared, the bathrooms were lovely with free-to-use shampoo/conditioner/shower gels. Breakfast was fab, plenty of food, quick and efficient food prep and service with a smile! We would definitely visit again - it really could become a home-from-home!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Ive been coming to Llanberis for 32 years and have stayed in every available accomodation in the village. Erw Fair is perfect in every way. The location is superb with access to bus stops, taxis and local convenience stores being just minutes away. Ive read a lot of negative comments on here regarding the owners Martin and Sally, which is very surprising because they have been nothing short of wonderful to me (and my young daughter who adores their cats). It feels like walking into my second home when i stay with them.
The rooms are very spacious and very clean, the bed linen and towels are always fresh and soft but its the breakfasts that should get the biggest mention as they are delicious! Fried breakfasts using local produce, cereals, fruit and juices. My daughter has a craving for cheese on toast at the moment and that was no problem come breakfast time despite it not being on the menu!
Im planning my next visit sometime in 2013 and without doubt, i will be staying at Erw Fair again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Recently, I had the opportunity to stay here with some friends and we had a super time, I think the fabulous weather made it that little more enjoyable climbing Snowdonia.

Having already read the reviews, I was warned but didn't really believe that one of the owners could be that bad. To be fair I think Martin is more socially inept than anything else, get him talking on Silverstone F1, holidays or sales (his previous job) then he is very communicative. Try small talk and forget it.

The rooms are clean, the breakfast very good and for 40-65GBP a night I don't think you could ask for more. One of my friends' recently returned here and very much enjoyed their stay too.

So, in short if you can get over the customer service not being in line with a large hotel chain then you will enjoy your stay too!

Room Tip: If you have the budget, opt for a room with en-suite
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I too had read the reviews about the owners before booking but decided to take them with a pinch of salt because when I phoned to book, Martin (the male co-owner) was helpful on the phone even though he started to be abrupt before the end of a short phonecall.

We were a small group of mixed gender responsible 30something adults with jobs including charity workers, a personal trainer and accountants, who were looking for somewhere to rest and wash after an attempt at the welsh 3000s.

When we arrived, at 9:15pm (after driving from London) we recieved a friendly greeting from Sally, the wife, however Martin was slumped on his sofa watching TV in his private room off the reception. When we asked where we could eat, Sally suggested 'The Heights' nearby when Martin interjected, not too bother because "its 9:30, the kitchens closed". We went anyway to ask as there was no where else open and the manager of the bar informed us that we could eat and we had until 10pm to order our food! - at not one point did he get up, say hello, move or even turn his head while speaking to some paying guests that had just arrived.

Sally proceeded tp show us around the place while be friendly but making sure to tell us that if our delayed friends arrived after 10:30pm - to call us and not ring the bell to be let in.

The rooms were clean and comfortable, but small and kept too hot. The beds may have used those plastic undersheets (unconfirmed) as I woke up a few times very sweaty, which only happens to me when said sheets are used, but I didnt dare say anything in case Martin flew into one of his rants. The bathrooms are shared but it was nice that they provided, shower gells, shamppos and soap. However you are not allowed to use the bath. However the breakfasts are generous, cooked, cereal and continental, even though some of the food may of been tinned, and the time slots are tight, you must have it between 8and9.

We were mostly away from the guesthouse but the few times we were there, Martin was rude, abrupt and unhelpful, turns his back to you and IMHO came across as hating his job and didnt really want people in his house/B&B.

On our last day - we were checking out early between 9 and 10am - when we mislaid one of the keys, however one of our group had gone to the shops and we informed Martin, that he probably had it and we'd wait till he got back - we had already twice searched our bags and cars while Martin stood scowling over us from his doorway with his arms crossed, he then proceeded upstairs and started uptuening all the rooms we hadused before our friend had even returned.
Our friend got back and had the said missing key and which point Martin swore at us all calling us a name and told us how we had been trouble since we arrived, put a knob of butter in the dining room carpet floor and used more than one table for breakfast on the 1st morning. When I finally had the courage to give him some complaints of our own and constructive feedback, he said he didnt care for the likes of our sort and the slammed the door on us.

Unfortunately as you can tell, I can not recommend this place to stay and I should of trusted the other reviews. I have tried to be balanced and said the location, breakfasts and place was clean, but I could never feel welcome in my regular trips to the area again as these days the only things that really makes a difference between most hotels is the way you are treated while your there.

However one thumbs up does go to the freindliest member of staff, Henry the Cat!

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else to saty
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Just returned from Snowdonia. This B&B was clean and placed in a convenient location. However the owner, Martin, was rude, ill tempered and bullied several of us. I would recommend this place if you are immune to snarky remarks and don’t mind being shouted at.

After having a go at Welsh 3000, we were pretty tired and perhaps did not leave the shower / room in their pristine conditions – however this not your home where you are expected to clean everything after yourself – you are paying so someone can do it after you – within a reason of course, we would never leave anything broken or in a complete mess! I have stayed in variety of B&Bs and will not be visiting this one again, nor will I recommend it to any of my friends. Lovely places such as Snowdonia should be bringing people together; they should not make you feel like prisoners in rooms you are paying for!

Room Tip: Room 1 has an en suite bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I had read the reviews on here already beofre booking, so I guess I was warned! However I thought surely the owner can't be that bad, so I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.... Stayed here in August 2012,with my wife and my parents ready for a climb up Snowdon the next day. After an epic journey in driving rain, we were looking forward to a pleasant welcome. However on arrival we pulled into the car park and my wife knocked on the door, to be greeted by Martin. Leaving her on the doorstep he acknowledged that we had a room booked but told us to move the car to the side of the hotel. My wife asked if we could just quickly unload our bags as it was tipping it down, which he allowed but shut the door in my wifes face and left her stood in the rain - a great start!, Martin then came out of the back to show me exactly where to park and proceeded to shut the back door and make me walk back around to the front in the pouring rain! Having finally caught up with my parents who were already there, they said they almost told me to turn back and they would book somewhere else....anyway the room was ok and the breakfast was lovely so I was prepared to let it go...until a young couple with a baby asked for a high seat at breakfast, Martin bought one out to the kitchen entrance and gestured accross the full dining room saying something like "here you go" to the young father, who embarrassingly for all had to hand his baby over to go and collect the chair.....shocking customer service!! Sally however was very welcoming and made up for her husbands lack of service with a smile!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Erw Fair Guesthouse? Share your experiences!