“Beautiful Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Craig-y-Dderwen

You added Craig-y-Dderwen to your Saves list
Craig-y-Dderwen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Riverside Hotel, Snowdonia National Park, Betws-y-Coed LL24 OAS , Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Betws-y-Coed
Essex
“Beautiful Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had a 2 night stay and after changing rooms from a double to super king we have no faults with this hotel whatsoever. Whilst there we noticed they were re-decorating which will only add to the appeal. I hope they renew the carpet as I would say this is the only dated element of the hotel.

Breakfast was lovely overlooking the river from the high vantage point of the conservatory and the centre of town is literally a 10 minute walk

Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Super King bedrooms have the better view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Rhuddlan, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

All started well, gorgeous room, brilliant view and nice location. Then we attempted to eat. I had chillied beef to start, this failed to arrive with a microscope to locate the beef. My wife chose leek and potato soup which seemed to contain no leeks or potatoes. It tasted ok but looked liked blended veg soup garnished with weeds. I am also assuming that the restaurant had just purchased a consignment of spinach as their wasn't much on the menu that did not contain it or was wrapped in it. The mains arrived, to be fair my lamb was not too bad albeit a bit dry. My wife's steak arrived and had the texture of concrete served with a thimble of sauce. The waitress spotted us trying to cut through it and brought out a sharper knife to try. surely in an alleged four star restaurant another steak would have been a more viable option. If she had appeared with a diamond cutting laser beam I guess we would have still struggled. The vegetables, or as I will call it one small piece of cauliflower each and a few steamed leeks (no spinach though, honest) was hardly ground breaking. Desert was, or should I say supposed to be profiteroles. These did not appear to have been made in the normal fashion using choux pastry, these used a new method which I will call 'the hollowed out stale bread recipe.'
Could things get any worse? Oh YES.
I complained to the restaurant manager, he went to have a word with chef then left us sat there and done nothing. This however was much better then the receptionist. I told her we would not be staying or paying for the second night and was told I would have to wait until the morning after she had spoken to the elusive owner. Come morning and contact with owner had been made. We were refunded for the food but charged for two small drinks. We were spoken too like naughty children and made to feel like trouble makers. We never recieved a refund for breakfast we did not bother to try, and I am still trying to work out why we paid £15 on arrival.
All in all:-
Overpriced
Over-rated (4 stars, please someone reassess soon)
Sub-standard food
Clueless staff.
The staff need to learn how to deal with complaints instead of channeling their interests in to how much money they can get out of you. I could not get to speak to the owner so I guess he was told I was a trouble maker wanting something for nothing (I am not, and I would not go back if it was free.)
Very substandard in such a nice location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
snowdoniahotel, General Manager at Craig-y-Dderwen, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
The Hotel appreciates all genuine reviews but we will not be blackmailed with TripAdvisor for reductions and this review is purely the result of this guests failed attempt.
North East,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

After visiting Trip Advisor we chose this hotel and were very pleased with the outcome. We had a large comfortable ,warm room with balcony. Super king bed - I am 6' 3" so very welcome.Large breakfasts with plenty of choice. Dinners, although pricey were very good. Ate out 2 nights out of 4 - plenty of selection in nearby Betws-y-Coed for alternative eating places. The town was a great centre for visiting nearby(never more than 25 miles away) places, Portmeirion,Caernafon,Conwy Llandudno and Anglesey.

Room Tip: 1st Floor rear with a balcony overlooking river and beautiful rural setting.
Monk Fryston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

It’s not hard to write a fair review of a hotel you really liked, or one you didn’t. It’s more difficult to summarise one that was both good and bad at the same time. So I’ll start with what was bad (because let’s be honest, it’s evaluating what people didn’t like that is most useful about these reviews) – and surprisingly, it was the dinner. I say surprisingly because we picked this hotel because of the bold claims for its food on its website, which seemed to be supported by reports here – and that is why we were so disappointed to be let down in that respect.

Started well - the menu was very encouraging with lots of interesting dishes. I chose Scallops on black pudding, followed by Guinea Fowl, my wife Leek and Potato Soup followed by fish in a caper-based sauce, and we went through to the pleasant dining room - the semi-open kitchen at one end, our table at the other right by the window overlooking the river. Seemed perfect. Which is when it began to go wrong.

It was 7.00pm, so only one waitress was serving as there only a few guests at that time. She was in the middle of serving people on the adjoining table when the chef (well somebody dressed like a chef!) chose to stick his head out from the kitchen and shout ‘SERVICE PLEASE!!’ at her. In other words – stop serving those customers and come and see what I want. He thus simultaneously insulted both the customers and the poor girl, who must have wondered what on earth she should do. I have only once seen behaviour similar, and that was years ago in a Little Chef – hardly the same thing at all. Both my wife and I were appalled.

The starters arrived. Scallops and black pudding were well-cooked, but came with some very salty cooked ham which far from adding to, detracted from the dish. My wife described her soup as ‘OK’. Call it 6/10 then.

The Guinea Fowl was another matter. It was dry, very little edible meat even for guinea fowl, over-cooked, and the sauce with it was completely tasteless. My wife’s fish was well-cooked, but again the sauce lacked flavour – she said she only knew it had capers in it because it said so on the menu. 4/10. The deserts – Crème Broule – were another matter – both were very good, 9/10. Overall – ‘OK’ but no better.

Now, in many a restaurant we might have though ‘OK’ is – well, ‘OK’. But not if the hotel claims its food is of the standard this hotel suggests (and charges for). Nor were we alone in being disappointed – we could not help but overhear the gentleman on the next table tell the waitress his steak was ‘terrible’.

We did, if not exactly complain, tell the staff afterwards, who said we could have sent the food back and chosen something else. I don’t doubt that is true, but to me what’s the point – the ‘special evening’ has by then been spoilt anyway, and if both of your chosen dishes are poor what’s the expectation of your next choice being any better?

Now two things to be fair; we only had the one meal – we stayed two nights, but after that experience ate in the (excellent) Bistro in the town on the second. And the breakfast was cooked to perfection – albeit I think by somebody different. Did we get a ‘reserve’ chef? Was he having a bad night? Has their normal chef left? Is it just over-rated? I’ve no idea, though as I say we gave the staff the opportunity to explain if there were some special reason. But I report as we found, with genuine sadness as in other respects the hotel was excellent.

Which leads me to the good bits. Our room was superb – we paid a bit extra for a superior one overlooking the river, well worth it. Cleanliness was faultless. Staff were friendly and helpful, and location is idyllic. You could find some faults – I always think a hotel of this class could send somebody in to turn down the beds and wash up any used cups etc while guests are having dinner, at £144 a night should guests do their own washing-up in a 4* hotel? But in honesty that’s just minor nit-picking, and if the dinner experience had been good it would have got a 5*. But it wasn’t, so it doesn’t. Sorry.

Snowdonia National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We would like to thank the manager and all staff at Craig-y-Dderwen hotel for making our wedding such a special day. From the moment we first visited the hotel to the day itself, each time we contacted the hotel or visited we had excellent service, the manager going above and beyond in helping us organise our special day, and staff more than happy to help. My family also had the highest praise for the hotel during their stay the night before and after the wedding as well as the day itself. The river view rooms have beautiful views and are well worth the extra. The rooms with balconies enabled us to have quiet, peaceful time the evening before the wedding sitting out on the balcony, where staff were happy to bring dinner and drinks up to the room. The views up the valley, the trees, the sound of the river, it was just perfect. Breakfast the next morning was delicious, just what we needed to get through the morning, with views of the river from the beautiful conservatory room. Our wedding day itself was fantastic. We couldn't have wished for a more romantic setting for our ceremony, with the view of the river next to us as we said our vows. The conservatory room itself is tastefully decorated, light and of course with beautiful views. The grounds outside the hotel were perfect for the photos. Staff were helpful, kind, reassuring and went above and beyond to make sure everyone was happy. After the ceremony we had our wedding breakfast in the same room, where staff had ensured the tables looked lovely and our guests commented their meals were delicious. We could not have been happier with the beautiful setting, the hotel itself, the excellent service and our stay in the hotel. We highly recommend this hotel for any sort of stay - staying with family, or as a romantic getaway, and especially for a most beautiful wedding venue you could wish for!

Room Tip: The river view rooms are well worth the extra. All the balcony rooms are fabulous, and the riverview...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Teddington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Some hotels are in fantastic locations and rely on that alone, others make do with their location and try to give the best service they can - this hotel is the best of both. The staff don't rest on their laurels and expect the fantastic views alone to wow you, they were all welcoming, friendly and extremely helpful.
We loved the hotel - rooms were big and comfortable, the views were breathtaking, and the amenities were generous.
We also ate at the hotel and were really happy we did. Delicious dinner and quick service.

Room Tip: We had a standard double and a riverview superking - standard double was spacious and comfortable. S...
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Hi all, we booked the bridal suite for our Anniversary this year as it has a hot tub,wow what a lovely view. The room was lovely and clean,there was a warm welcome even by the stray cat on entry,the staff are friendly,even had there own bar a relaxing area,also has a restaurant and bistro area even somewhere to sit outside and the food was superb with lots of different dishes,also a different menu every night, I would highly reccommend to everyone. Set on lovely kept grounds with even their own vegetables growing in the distance and a river flowing at te side of the hotel grounds,so if you like abit of rambling you are able to cross the fields....hope this helps...

Room Tip: The Bridal Suite which has a hot tub outside on the decking,jacuzzi bath and shower,and a four poste...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Craig-y-Dderwen? Share your experiences!