“OK for walking holiday” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Aberystwyth Wales. uk
“OK for walking holiday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Accomadation was fair. stated as a rambling group 2 years ago, went as a couple. did not like this place, it looks tired

Visited August 2013

Royston, United Kingdom
“Friendly barman”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Having read some reviews on here we avoided eating in the Royal Goat. However, we did pop in for some local ale. The barman was super friendly and allowed us to try the beer before ordering.
Maybe eating there would've been different, but I found the place to be very welcoming.

Visited August 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Terrible restaurant service. Suspect seating policy. Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were in Beddgelert on 05 May 2013 after a walk up to the top of Snowdon. It was 19:00hrs and we wanted to eat before returning to our static caravan. My partner who is English approached the Bar and asked about availability of tables. She was informed that we could not be seated until at least 20:30. She came out to tell our group (4) and we were agreed that we did not want to wait for 1.5 hours and that we would find somewhere else. My partner had popped to the loo so my friend who speaks fluent Welsh went in to let them know we would not be dining and low and behold there was suddenly a free table that we could have immediately!! We gave our order; 4 starters and 4 mains. After around 25 minutes the mains arrived. after explaining that we had ordered starters a young chap came out and said he would sort the starters as soon as possible. I asked him if that meant that the mains would just sit there for 15 minutes whilst all this happened. He was unsure so we skipped the starters and asks for the mains. The individual who had taken the order heard and saw the whole thing unfold. At no time did he even come near our table, in fact he left it to one of the female staff and then one of the managers to apologise; claiming that it was a very busy day. we were offered a round of drinks on the house which we politely declined. When the mains arrived for the second time we were not offered any condiments and from then on we were completely ignored. We eventually caught yet another staff members eye and asked if instead of the drinks we were offered could we instead have some desserts. He said we could have 3 gratis which was fine by us. In summery the food itself was actually very good but sadly the service was dire and the fact that we would not have got a seat had it not been for Welsh intervention really grated on me. We would not recommend this establishment.

Halifax
“Too much art and too little food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Reviewing restaurant only - not stayed in hotel. We have eaten here about 10 times over the last 5 years and the food used to be A1. See reviews on here from 2010. It has declined severely. The focus now is to present the food in an artistic manner and it looks fabulous when it arrives. I went into a restaurant because I wanted something to eat; if I'd wanted to look at fabulous things I'd have gone to an art gallery. The main course plate consisted of just the meat with a smear of jus and 4 tiny baby carrots. It seems to be a current trend to dispense with vegetables and sadly "The Goat" has become a sheep. Why? Veg is so cheap! The dish of potatoes to share between 4 of us was about right for 2. Of course we were asked whether everything was alright with the meal and when we tried to explain that it was poorly balanced with small portions their level of interest matched their level of veg. Service in general was poor. We had to catch a waiter to request coffee and he gave us the do-you-think-I-care-can't-you-see-i'm-busy stare. On the positive side the flavours of the food were good, but that should be secondary to providing a well balanced and sufficient meal. We paid £96 for 4 of us (no wine) and left hungry. If "The Goat" gets the old chef and the old menu back I'd like to know, otherwise we will not return.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Tolerable but room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My partner and I ate at The Royal Goat during our stay in Beddgelert and had a fairly mixed experience. Starting with the positives, the service was excellent with our waiter being polite and attentive and the food being served very quickly. We were eating in the Grill Bar area which was spacious and comfortable.

The positives aside, we felt that the food was on the expensive side for what we got and whilst the chicken my partner ordered was of a fairly good quality, we both agreed that the tagliatelle dish wasn't altogether that pleasant. Our pudding also left much to be desired.

In addition to this, we had a somewhat more pedantic gripe with the menu itself. In what I assume is an attempt to make the food sound more exotic and exciting (perhaps to justify their pricing), the menu struck us as pretentious. Long, overly descriptive phrases for simple dishes and in some cases, the unnecessary addition of French words make it feel contrived.

• Visited March 2013