“Excellent place to visit” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 12 Attractions in Holyhead
Type: Military Museums, Museums
“Excellent place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Only a small museum, but the guides brought all of the exhibits to life and were very easy to talk to. Also visit the adjoining small miltary museum in an old air-raid shelter. This has some fascinating exhibits. Combined, one of the best things I visited on Anglesey, even though I have no sailing or miltary background.

HMMuseum, Trustee at Holyhead Maritime Museum, responded to this review, September 27, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and especially the efforts of our museum guides. We attempt to make every visit an enjoyable one.

Newcastle upon Tyne, exiled Welshman
11 attraction reviews
“Long over due, to my shame.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My fathers family are from Ynys Mon and were seafarers. Taid was in deep sea sail and dad was a chief engineer. As a small child, l , lived on the island. Since then, l have visited Ynys Mon, many times. I have resisted visiting Caergybi, because l had heard, it was so run down. I visited on the 16th July and the town, it wasn't too bad. Side streets views brought back lovely memories.HOWEVER, the museum, was wonderful. It cannot be faulted. It has
everything l expected, including, the Throne to Blue Funnel. Volunteers were wonderful. I am so jealous! If my other half would accept moving to Ynys Mon, l would be at the front of the queue for volunteers, for the museum. Not being smug, l have the "knowledge" for the iath.

Visited July 2014
HMMuseum, Trustee at Holyhead Maritime Museum, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thank you, Bob H for your very positive and passionate review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit back to your homeland and especially to our museum. If you ever change your mind about living in the north-east then we would be pleased to welcome you on board. Diolch yn fawr. Hwyl.
“Well worth a few hours before lunch at the adjoined bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

You will be offered a guided tour by a very enthusiastic volunteer. Jump at the chance.. He will point out many items of interest & add a detailed history to them. While this was engaging & fascinating, I now need to revisit the museum again to take in all the very well labeled & interactive exhibits at my own pace. (not that there was any element of hurrying up involved in the guide tour). I would just like to muse solo for a few hours on this unique history of the area. They haven't really got to grips with operating the video presentations in a slick & professional manner. I'm sure they will in the future.

Visited May 2014
HMMuseum, Trustee at Holyhead Maritime Museum, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you appreciated the efforts of the museum guide. Our aim is to make every visit as interesting as possible. Yes, there is much to see and discover at the museum and we hope you will be back soon to complete your exploration. Thanks also for your comments regarding the video displays. These are new and we are working to improve them.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Holyhead Maritime Museum - May 14 visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My great uncle was killed in action in 1918 in the H5 submarine when it was rammed in error by an allied ship. The volunteer team at the Museum took me straight to his memorial, and stayed with me for the following half hour answering my questions.

Visited May 2014
HMMuseum, Trustee at Holyhead Maritime Museum, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you had a successful visit to our museum and that you were pleased with the response you received regarding the sad loss of your great-uncle.
Holyhead, United Kingdom
“Small but well worth the time to drop in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

The Holyhead Maritime Museum is only small but a lot of very interesting history and artefacts are crammed in and very well presented. Not just a selection of Nautical and military history of the locality but also the history and connections of some very well known individuals who have been involved or connected with Holyhead. Definitely worth a couple of hours.

Visited August 2013
HMMuseum, at Holyhead Maritime Museum, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our Museum. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit. Yes, we are somewhat small but we try to pack as much in as possible to interest visitors. There is much more in storage elsewhere and we are would love to be able to display all that we have - maybe one day!