“Much better than expected” 5 of 5 stars

Beach Hut Guest House
4 Hibernia Terrace, Holyhead LL65 1DL, Wales   |
Ranked #8 of 26 Holyhead B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Much better than expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I booked this b&b a month or so ago, but while i was on the train up to wales i was bored and decided to look at some recent reviews and was put off by the recent bad comments about the place.
After checking other accommodation locally and everywhere within budget being full i thought id have to go for it!
I am so glad I did.
It was clean, comfy and the breakfast was great. The ensuite is small but the shower worked well, thats all I needed. I work in the cleaning business and can honestly say it was up to scratch.
The internet p.c's are a thing of the past and should be removed but i guess everyone has tablets and smart phones now.
I had to be on the 08.55 ferry out, The lady (hilary i think) had breakfast ready for me at 07.30 and even gave me a coffee to take away :)

The pictures must be old on the internet as my room had some nice artwork on the wall and a flat screen tv, i took a picture so will try and upload it when i get some decent wifi again (which was good here)
Keep up the good work guys

Room Tip: My room was actually a double room and had a nice view of the ferries coming in. The South Stack pu...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

It's cheapish....but I have stayed in cheaper places with a better standard .
The staff are lovely....however the cannot really be bothered aspect of the standard of cleaning and decor leaves a lot to be desired....definitely a last resort B&B .....we paid for 2 nights and our room wasn't cleaned or beds made on the second....the tea and milk were also not replenished which was really annoying, as no one was available to ask .

If you get breakfast ...ask for the works.....not the full English...there's a huge difference...double the size really....quite an acceptable breakfast really with cheap produce.

If your in the family room 3 be careful in the shower the water is warm but turns super hot very quickly the shower door pulls inwards .....quite a shock .

The cafe downstairs is utilised for storage very poor....and a let down as it could be quite pleasant if cleaned up.....I suggest you dump the prehistoric p.c's ...it's just clutter ....but I did like the fire place cool...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

OMG where to start. broken beds, dust everywhere, mouldly window sill, holes in the ceiling, no door handle in the toilet so you are locked in! Breakfast was random and used the cheapest ingredients, there was baskets of washing all over the place and umbrella's laid over the 'internet cafe computers' I could go on. I don't normally write bad reviews but felt I had a duty to spread the word. the owner Dave was pleasant on the upside and was understanding on our late arrival and left our key outside but that doesn't excuse the place. I wouldn't return unless a complete renovation was on the cards.

Room Tip: Choose elsewhere and avoid the beach hut
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BeachHut764001, Owner at Beach Hut Guest House, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Firstly I would like to give a brief reason for not responding to guests reviews in the past.

We always welcome reviews on trip advisor. We choose not to respond as we feel that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, be it good or bad. Feedback helps us to make changes if needed and work to become a better guest house.

The reason I am writing this now is that the guest in question stayed with us almost a year ago on the 23rd August 2013 when we are running at full capacity and not recently as is being implied.
I will try and address all the issues raised as best as I can.

The broken bed was a slat in the bunk bed caused by a previous guest and as soon as it was brought to our attention it was replaced, we could not leave such a dangerous piece of wood showing as this could injure a child.

The hole in the ceiling behind the TV was made to allow new freeview cable to be installed and was not replastered immediately i admit, but was closed up over the winter last year.

The ensuite door latch was broken due to the previous guest pulling the door open while it was locked from the inside and breaking the lock, This was metal and was sharp so was removed immediately for safety reasons, the picture does not show that just above the door lock is a handle to open and close the door so would not mean that they were locked inside.

The picture of behind the toilet shows dark areas around the tiles. I can confirm that this is left over grout and not mould as is being implied.

The pictures showing a hole in a ceiling next to a light, the one of grime around a tap were not taken here. Why they were included I honestly dont know.

The picture of the mould next to the shower was in the room, we had a leak at one point and it was allowed to build up through lack of care from a previous employee who did not work here after we found it and other problems.

The picture of the outside is also very misleading as it is of the closed down pub next door and not of our back yard, the angle of the shot shows this clearly.

I am very sorry to hear that breakfast was not acceptable. We pride ourselves on our breakfast, it has won a local award, also the ingredients are from a local butcher and are also award winners. We have certificates on view in the cafe to prove this. We do not use cheap ingredients at all. We are really busy in the mornings with locals who regularly come back time and again to enjoy the breakfast, this would not happen if the ingredients were poor.

With regards to the washing and umbrellas. We have outside chairs, tables and umbrellas. When the weather is bad the obviously do not go out so are neatly stacked up out of the way. With us being a busy B&B washing is done all day long and occasionally a basket of wet washing is left in the corner while we wait for the tumble dryer to become free.

I must finally add that over the winter of 2013/14 all our rooms have gone through a series of upgrading. All rooms have had new beds & bedding, new carpets, and flat screen TV's are being fitted throughout this week.

We do not claim to be the biggest or best B&B around but our rooms are always clean, why it would take someone 10 months to leave a review is beyond me. By adding misleading and incorrect pictures can only damage our reputation and had the guest informed us of the situation it would have been rectified as soon as we found out.
We have been running as a B&B for 8 years and had thousands of guests stay here over that time who have had a really nice time, had good value and have left happy.

Thank you for taking time to read this reply. As previously mentioned we welcome feedback but this review is from 10 months ago, is misleading and to a certain respect is untrue.
I will be taking this up with Trip Advisor to get it removed if possible but thought I needed to clarify a few things.

Dave (owner)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Firstly we stayed in a family room because the Travelodge was full. In comparison this was slightly more expensive and very much inferior accommodation. I want to be kind because the staff were very welcoming and friendly, but the room was way too cramped, the kids bunk bed was rickety and the bathroom was dingy with the tiniest basin I've ever seen. The scrambled eggs offered for breakfast were completely inedible and had obviously been microwaved into a mountain of rubber. To cap it off someone had tried to force the car lock with a screwdriver during the night.
I really think these guys should realistically be charging about 50% of the price of a family room to accurately reflect what they are offering.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

A stones throw away from the port. The rooms were clean and great value for money. I'm pretty sure all rooms have a small on suit and it did my girlfriend and I just fine before an Ireland trip. Host was hospitable and flexible with our breakfast time. For the price we couldn't ask for any more.

• Stayed September 2013
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

As all the other reviews have said great host couldn't be more welcoming, and yes the rooms was exceptionally small, but I was expecting that from the reviews. It was clean, the bathroom tiles and pipes could do with some attention. But the breakfast others had mentioned was not forthcoming, one hard fried egg, half a tomato, one piece of bacon and 3 triangles of toast was poor to say the least. I have stayed in many B&B's and this is the worst value for money I have experienced.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Comfy and clean accommodation. Great, friendly host who was very welcoming and helpful, especially as i had just broken my finger and was struggling with my bags etc. Would definitely recommend and will be sure to saty again when back in the area. Thanks. Stu.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Beach Hut Guest House? Share your experiences!