“Summer Stay in Holyhead” 4 of 5 stars

The Boathouse Hotel
Newry Beach, Holyhead LL65 1YF, Wales   |
Ranked #12 of 25 Holyhead B&B and Inns
South Florida, Florida
“Summer Stay in Holyhead”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I actually had quite a nice visit here last August - stayed for a week. The rooms are small and not particularly luxurious but my room was serviceable and met my needs. The staff were very friendly and helpful - I arrived after the restaurant had closed and they ordered food to be delivered to me. My room had no wi-fi (although they did assure me it would prior to arrival). This turned out to be a blessing because I spent more time downstairs in the bar accessing the internet where I met a number of very nice guests, locals, and several pets. Food in the restaurant was good, service was great, the bar was fun, and the location was perfect for me - I was in Holyhead to kayak with Sea Kayak UK. Parking was easy and it is very close to supermarkets and the ferry port. I walked around at night alone and felt very safe. I will definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Holyhead!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on 23 December, this being my 3rd stay here. I always stay here if catching a ferry to Ireland. The location is excellent for the ferry port and is far enough away from the town, making it nice and peaceful. The hotel is also pet friendly and as long as your pet is behaved they are welcomed into the bar with you. The bar is nice and cosy, with a mixture of locals and residents, take my advice and get there early enough to enjoy a couple of drinks in the evening. Don't get me wrong the hotel rooms are a little dated and you could stay in a travel lodge if you desired, but these to me Are very clinical and you don't receive the personal touch that you do here. The staff are very friendly and cannot do enough for you. Another downside Is that phone reception isn't great and there is no wi-fi. The breakfast again was nice.

My advise to you is if you need a comfortable, friendly stay for a couple of nights, then ignore these comments and don't miss out on a little gem- like I said if you want contemporary stay at the travel lodge, if you want somewhere homely try here

• Stayed December 2012
Bolton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Although we had stayed before we were mortified to return from our day out to find our room door wide open and the room key from another room in the lock .We immediately went to reception and have yet to receive an apology from the hotel (we stayed in September) To add insult to injury our bill on leaving included fifty pence for ICE.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Anybody wishing to stay in a hotel in holeyhead , stay clear of the boathouse hotel , it should be knocked down and turned into a helicopter pad , it wust be one of the worst hotels we have ever walked into, the biggest mistake I made was handing over our money before we looked at the so called room,

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Friendly, attentive and helpful staff. Almost impossible to get a mobile signal or their claimed wi-fi. Room adequate but dated. Claimed 'bistro' is in fact basic pub food. A fair way from town centre.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Willenhall, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

On a spur of the moment decision to have a weekend away, my fiancé and I arrived at The Boathouse on a whim and found the staff were helpful, polite and very friendly. Luckily for us there was a cancellation that morning. The bar is quaint and has a good selection of beers and spirits. The room was fresh and clean with crisp sheets and lovely pine furniture. The bathroom was also fresh and very clean.... not even a smear on the glass shower screen. The restaurant was very well laid out.... You're not tripping over anyone's chair. We both ordered steak for our evening meal, and after asking the chef directly as to how we would like them cooked, they were PERFECT. After a great breakfast, we were sorry to have to leave. The whole place had a warm and friendly atmosphere and we will DEFINITELY be returning.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This charming hotel is at the end of the waterfront, away from some of the hustle of central Holyhead. The surrounding atmosphere of the Irish sea, with sailboats and marinas filling the view, and gentle walks up and down the shore. The hotel itself feels a bit like a ship, with lots of dark wooden passages and rooms that feel like cabins. The decor reminds you of how an old seaman's wife would like it. Rooms were clean and comfortable and not too expensive. The restaurant was great, and so was the comfy little bar. I'd stay here again next time I pass through Holyhead.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Boathouse Hotel? Share your experiences!