“Overall a positive experience, would not want to pay full price though” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Manorhaus Llangollen

and 1 more site!
You added Manorhaus Llangollen to your Saves list
Manorhaus Llangollen
HIll Street, Llangollen LL20 8EU, Wales   |
Ranked #9 of 30 Llangollen B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Overall a positive experience, would not want to pay full price though”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have been quite nervous to write a review of my stay, because I can't help but notice that any criticism directed at any aspect of the Manorhaus has not been well received. The responses from the owner seem almost patronising and I don't think that's very nice. I just think it's strange to send out e mail shots actively seeking reviews and then to take any negative comments whatsoever so badly. If guests comment on something it's probably their genuine thoughts and not just a way to have a pop unfairly. That's certainly not how I approach my reviews. So I have waited a few weeks to write my review as I have been a bit scared to see Gavin's response!!

All my comments are honest thoughts and opinions.

I wish I could give 3.5 stars for 'good' rather than have to choose 'very good' or 'average', because I do think 'average' would be unfair, especially given that our two night stay including a dinner on one night (two courses each, no drinks) cost £199 via a living social deal. Regular price for dinner is £28 per person for two courses. So that would mean we paid around £70 per night for the room, which I think is fair.

The key point is that I'd have been disappointed to pay any more, say if I'd have just made the booking directly.

If you read my 'negatives' section it's pretty obvious they are not major issues. And I have no doubt the owner will say 'no one else has ever said these things!' That's fine. It's just worth me writing the review in case any one else similar to me is thinking of staying. They may wish to know in advance, for example, how quiet the restaurant is.

The reason that the negatives section looks longer than my positives section is that, having read the owner's responses to ANY other vaguely negative comments, I feel it's best to give full explanations and justification for my thoughts.

In general I found the Manorhaus (Llangollen) to be a pleasant place to spend a short break.

The positives

Good quality fixtures and fittings in general in the room
Modern design with lots of original (I presume) features maintained - the tiled hallway is beautiful
Very tasty evening meal
Yogurts available at breakfast are delicious!
Gavin was very polite and a pleasant guy when you engaged him
Good location right in the town centre
Free parking at council long stay car parks - one of which is right next door
Good size room (a suite) in terms of square footage
Lovely big soft towels and robes
Nice long full curtains
Good quality bedding
Hot tub available for use

The negatives

(I am aware these negatives are my personal opinion and am not suggesting every guest will share my thoughts)

The restaurant is so quiet that you can literally hear everyone else's cutlery moving. I felt like I needed to whisper. Even the waiter talks to you in very hushed tones. It was, for me quite a weird experience to eat a meal in there. I suppose what I'm saying is that for me it had no atmosphere/ambiance. Another couple I ended up talking to in there felt exactly the same. I just think eating out is about more than the food on the plate, it's about the whole evening's experience. The chill out music in the background in the restaurant and bar did anything but make me feel chilled - I found it incredibly repetitive and irritating. To sum up the atmosphere was more like the waiting room at a private dentist's practice.

Although the food at dinner was tasty, it is VERY expensive. £28 for two courses. One evening meal was included in the deal we stayed on, if I had been paying separately I would have been quite shocked.

The service at the bar before our meal was sooooooooooo slow. We later realised the bar tender was also the restaurant waiter which explained the delays for drinks but considering the bar prices, you expect a better service.

You couldn't get a drink in the bar after 11 even if you were a guest - the handbook in the room gives the impression you can be served later than that if you are staying in one of the rooms.

Wifi signal in room poor

The shower room was very small. Which is fine, I don't need a huge space to be happy in the bath/shower room. BUT, this makes the choice of wet room design (there's no shower door) really odd! You can virtually touch the toilet when you are in the shower so that gives you an idea of how near it is and how wet it will get. Be sure to move the toilet roll before you take a shower otherwise you will be using crepe paper! Fair enough, the toilet is water proof, but if you are sharing a room with anyone, it's not great for them when they use the bath/shower room after you because the floor is literally soaking, as is the toilet.

The room we stayed in room 5 which has a bath in a small corridor area between the lounge area and bedroom. It's quite a dark area and not really how you picture an in-room bath. If you're sat in the bath you can't see your room mate whether they're in the lounge or the bedroom area. I guess the timber panelling painted black makes it particularly dark.

The design of room 5 was unusual, not in a good way. You walk into a small lounge area with a small couch, desk, chair and tv). Then you walk through a small corridor where the bath is located) to the bedroom area. The actual bedroom area is very very small. Not much room around the bed.

The bed was extremely soft, If you like a medium or firm mattress don't stay in room 5.

I'd like some blinds on the windows, perhaps in addition to the thick curtains. In the morning it's nice to let some light in. But once you open the curtains in the lounge area you are totally visible to people on the high street (room 5 looks out onto Hill Street) - a man waved at me from the street when I was looking out of the window which was when I realised how visible I was! So until you are fully dressed in the morning you would not want to open the curtains. I personally think it's nice to get some natural light into rooms at all times of daylight.

Breakfast was good, but just being really honest, I've had much better. The 'full' welsh breakfast is, dare I say it, quite a mean sized portion. Porridge was served in a bowl of the size I'd use for a toddler. Toast is made from surprisingly cheap and poor quality bread. I actually found mould on the toast. The buffet selection isn't that wide compared to other places I've stayed.

Although the décor is modern it's really not my taste. The bright orange chairs in the bar area were kind of ugly. And all the black tongue and groove panelling is a bit forbidding for me.

I'd prefer a regular kettle in the room than the tassimo machine. Selection of hot drinks to make in the room is poor, again, compared with other places I've stayed. I DO know this is about personal preference, I just think it's much simpler for guests to use a kettle.

Noise travels really easily between the rooms which was a surprise as it's an old building. We could actually hear the words of the conversations between another couple staying on the same floor, on both nights. We did not mention it because we could hardly ask for them to be told not to speak to each other! To be fair maybe they were speaking unusually loud, I'm not sure. But it really disturbed our sleep which was a shame.

Just to be really picky, the cutlery is the MOST peculiar design I've ever seen! Almost comedy style. Reminded me of objects straight out of a Tim Burton film! I only mention this because the teaspoons are actually quite difficult to use - try lifting a lump of sugar out of the bowl with one!! I do understand that the 'restaurant with rooms' wants to be different and stand out from the crowd but seriously, a more strange set of cutlery I have never clapped eyes on! This was more funny than irritating to be honest. Likewise the side plates are neither use nor ornament because they are the weirdest shape and too small - like half an avocado! Not great to use for toast.

So, to sum up, it's a nice place, but not somewhere I'd return to. There were just too many elements I didn't like.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay in a suite because you really like the idea of an in-room bath, ask for one...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
gavinvharris, Owner at Manorhaus Llangollen, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear AnnieMaggie

Glad you enjoyed your stay, and many thanks for your long considered review.

On the night you dined we were only serving residents and not open to the public, hence it being quieter and only one person serving the couple of tables present.

Just to correct a couple of errors - you stayed in either Oriel 1 or 4 - our slightly smaller suites whose in room bath is located between the bedroom and lounge. Oriel 5 has an in-room bath in the bedroom. All our suites have their lounge area with view to the front, and their bedrooms are at the rear which is more private and are not visible from the street.

2 courses in our restaurant is £26 not £28 - 3 courses including bread is £32.50.

Thank you for your comments which we will reflect on to make improvements.

Gavin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

stayed at the manorhaus for my second time as usual everything was good bed very comfy and spotlessly clean. The breakfast is cooked to order so is fresh. The location is just great right in the centre but set back so no noise. And is very good having parking permit so no worry trying to park. Have also stayed in manorhaus ruthin also very good and spotlessly clean. And would recommend either of these hotels

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us a second time within a matter of weeks. Glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you again.

Cheadle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed for two nights last week. We were happy that the location was so central yet set off the high street so that road noise was reduced. Gavin was very attentive on arrival and provided us a parking permit (car park 1 minute away) to use throughout our stay which was so helpful. We didn't actually move our car during the stay as all attractions in Llangollen are a very short walk away.
Our room was a great size and welcoming. If I had to pick faults it would be that we had problems with the lights - they wouldn't stay on and then randomly turned on in the middle of the night. We did mention this to Gavin and he did say that they were going to get fixed.

Llangollen is a beautiful little town which I think we will be visiting again as there is so much to do, would definitely recommend visiting the aqueduct as it is simply breathtaking.
During our stay we decided to go out for a nice meal in the town, we had booked somewhere but when we turned up we actually were very disappointed, after looking around we decided to go back to the hotel and ask to just eat there. So glad we did. It is a little pricey (set 2/3 course menu) but so well worth it. Would definitely recommend the risotto - best I have ever tasted.

All in all a wonderful and friendly stay that we would both highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
gavinvharris, Owner at Manorhaus Llangollen, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Many thanks for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. After your unexpected illuminations we have replaced the overly clever touch dimmer for a good old light switch - it does on or off when you say. Sorry the previous set up wasn't quite right.

Hope we can welcome you again.

Thanks

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights on a KGB deal, we were very impressed with the place .

Gavin was very welcoming and helped us with our luggage.

The room was lovely and modern with a very comfy bed.

We ate in the restaurant one night and were glad we had , the food was beautiful.
The breakfasts were cooked to order and the quality of the ingredients used was first class.

Can't fault it, would defiantly recommend this place to others wishing to visit this part of the world.

• Stayed September 2013
gavinvharris, Owner at Manorhaus Llangollen, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Many thanks for your very positive review - we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we can welcome you again at manorhaus in Llangollen or manorhaus Ruthin if you fancy exploring a slightly different area.

Many Thanks

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Gavin was attentative from the minute we arrived, nothing was too much trouble. What they have done with the house is beautiful. The rooms are stylish, spacious and designed with every thoguht to what you may need for a well earned rest. . The rooms were full on both nights we stayed but we didn't hear a sound. The bed was really comfy so we slept well, awoke refreshed. Breakfast was great, with lots of choices, in fact I think whatever you asked for chef would oblige. Porridge was spot on with honey and berries to top it off mmm!!
We ate in the restaurant for our evening meal and had fabulous 3 courses, compliments to the chef.
Will recommend to our friends and to anyone reading this you must stay here if you go to Llangollen
We know just how hard you need to work to acheive the standards in Manorhaus, well done loved it thanks Debbie and Peter

Room Tip: I don't think it matters which room you chose you wont be disappointed
Dear Debbie and Peter

Many thanks for your review and I am really glad you enjoyed your break. It makes the effort we have put in to creating manorhaus Llangollen worthwhile when guests enjoy themselves, and it's even more encouraging to get such a positive review from yourselves as you know how much work goes into the hospitality business.

Thank you and it was lovely to meet you.

Aylesbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The suite was absolutely fantastic with a living area looking out over the town and towards the castle. The Melin Tregwynt cushions are a lovely toudh. The evening meals were excellent and the bar and restaurant staff were friendly. Gavin was very attentive and nothing is too much trouble. I look forward to my next stay and would thoroughly recommend,

Room Tip: Choose a suite to have a great living area and enjoy the view of the castle on the hill opposite
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Really pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the benefits of choosing a suite. Hope we can welcome you again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Really nice place to stay especially if its a special occasion with a partner they can't do enough for you and make you feel very welcome and comfortable will defiantly be staying there again and would recommend it to a friend

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your review and I am really pleased you enjoyed your special occasion with us. Hope we can welcome you again at either manorhaus Llangollen or Ruthin.

Gavin

Been to Manorhaus Llangollen? Share your experiences!