“Fantastic hotel in a stunning location” 5 of 5 stars

You added Chainbridge Hotel to your Saves list
Chainbridge Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Berwyn, Llangollen LL20 8BS, Wales   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Llangollen
“Fantastic hotel in a stunning location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I work locally and decided to treat the wife and daughter to a night at the Chainbridge as a treat (it was much easier than cleaning my pokey little flat to an acceptable standard!)

The first thing that you notice at the Chainbridge is the location - situated right on top of the river with the canal running behind and excellent views of the Llangollen Railway.
For people visiting the area as tourists, it is hard to pick a better location.

The hotel itself is situated alongside the A5 with great links from all of the major roads into the area and onward links to the Cambrian Coast and Anglesey.

It is immediately obvious that the hotel has undergone some fairly major work in order to update the image, although this does not diminish any of the original character of the hotel.

Our room (canal side) was a lot bigger than we expected for the rate, spotlessly clean and was extremely comfortable. On our next visit, we will definitely pay for a river side room; although the canal side was great, the added bonus of a balcony to sit and enjoy the weather / scenery in is a very worthwhile addition.

We didn't take an evening meal (we were meeting friends in Llangollen) and we feel we missed out there - the breakfast the following morning was beautiful, with the dining room situated immediately above the waterline.

Every member of staff we met did their utmost to make everybody feel as comfortable as they could; as a result of this alone we will be planning another visit with friends and family very shortly!

It is a shame that the Chainbridge itself is currently awaiting renovations (we were assured that these are imminent), although I feel that with that added attraction it will be very difficult to find any vacancies at this hotel!

As I have stated, we will definitely be back and I wish the hotel every success - the effort that has been expended to date deserves it!

Room Tip: If there is one available, ask for a river side room - a quiet drink on the balcony listening to the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
I'm grateful that you have posted such an informative and generous review of your time at The Chainbridge.

It's fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much, and that you found the hotel's location, staff and breakfast to all be to your liking.

A great deal of work has been completed, and we are working hard to improve all aspects of the hotel, to better match the wonderful views we enjoy. The plan is that the Chain Bridge is to be restored, and we're hopeful this will occur within the next 12 months - which will be another wonderful addition to the hotel, and the local area.

I'm thrilled to hear you're planning a return visit, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Seamus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I recently spent one night in room 35. Can't fault the location - we paid a little extra to have a riverside room and it was really worth it! We sat out on the balcony in the sun overlooking the river, 3 bridges and the steam railway. Approx 30 min walk into llangollen along the beautiful canal. The room was spotlessly clean and looked like it had been recently redecorated. The only problems were the broken panel on the bath and the patio door to the balcony didn't fit properly so there was a large gap at the top of the door (not a problem for us as the room was really hot but might be an issue in colder weather). These minor problems didn't spoil our stay at all and once they are sorted it would definitely get 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2013
Many thanks for posting a review of your stay here at The Chainbridge. I'm delighted that, on the whole, you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. With the good weather we've enjoyed recently guests have made the most of the hotel's stunning location overlooking the river and station, and the sunshine certainly brings out the best of Wales!

I appreciate your comments regarding the smaller touches and issues, and they will be addressed. We look forward to you returning to The Chainbridge and this wonderful part of Wales!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just wanted to give positive feedback on my recent (May 2013) stay at the Chainbridge. The whole experience was excellent and I will definitely be back.

I am a teacher and a few of my friends and I booked a break over half term. We booked online and were instantly impressed by the stunning setting where the Chainbridge is located.

The staff are extremely polite, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast each morning is delicious, plentiful and set us up perfectly for each day.

It was my first time visiting Llangollen and it is a great place with lots to do. We enjoyed a round of golf at the lovely Vale of Llangollen Golf Club. We also went for various walks and the views were stunning.

My room was recently renovated to a high standard and had a balcony looking out over the river and it was really memorable setting.

It was a wonderful few days and I thoroughly enjoyed the visit. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at The Chainbridge.

It's fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay here, and that you made the most of your time here in Llangollen to explore. There's a great deal to do for people of all ages and with all interests, and I'm sure when you return you'll be equally glad to explore.

I'm delighted to hear that you found our hotel to be so enjoyable, and that the pleasant and polite staff, and stunning location made for a great stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Took a bit of a punt on this place passing through but it's a real find, for the following reasons:

- A number of rooms haven't yet been refurbished, including mine, but even though my room and bed were quite dated, the bed was comfortable and the room was warm, very clean and had hot water at a decent pressure, which are the most important elements of a good hotel room anyway.

- I bumped in to the staff as they were changing some of the refurbed rooms on the river side and they were only too happy to let me have a look - turns out they're really nicely done with a fantastic balcony space overlooking the river. There surely can't be a better riverside view in the UK?!

- The downstairs lobby, bar and restaurant areas have all been recently refurbished to a really nice standard and both my late lunch (sometime after 14.30) and dinner were delicious. The local ales they have on tap are brilliant too.

- Unfortunately it was raining, but had it not been the garden at the far end of the hotel from the reception would make a fantastic lunch time retreat, again with awesome views of the river.

- Before checking out the next morning I went for a very peaceful run along the canal towpath to town and back. Back at the hotel I headed straight past it in the other direction to find a stunning countryside river scene. The location is truly idyllic. I think you can keep walking further along the river in that direction too.

- I returned from my run to a great, hearty breakfast and quick and easy check out.

- Throughout my stay the staff were courteous and friendly. There are some characters, but that only serves to personalise the service, as you feel like you're being taken care of by real people, as opposed to robotic, drilled employees.

I'm not in Llangollen very much, but should I return I'll head straight for this place. I hope I can bag myself a riverside room next time!

Thanks to the GM and his team, who turned my stop-off in to a very memorable experience.

Room Tip: Try and get a riverside room with a balcony. It's simply stunning, even in the rain.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Many thanks for your extensive and generous review. I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed by so many facets of the hotel. As you say, not all of the rooms have yet been refurbished, as our work to improve the hotel is still ongoing. The communal areas of the hotel have been transformed, as you say, and we think that the changes make it easier for our guests to enjoy our wonderful location. As you say, it's a beautiful spot, with lots to do and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Berkshire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel will be lovely when all the refurbishment is completed. We were in a 2nd floor room with a big balcony overlooking the raging river and the old Chain Bridge. The room was small but clean, obviously has just been redecorated. No hooks to hang towels on in bathroom, I am a believer in lots of hooks as they are so useful!
Parts of the hotel had not been refurbished and when it is all finished, it will be much improved. The staff were all very nice and the breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: 2nd floor with a balcony to admire the wonderful view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. As you say, much has been done in terms of renovations, to improve the hotel, and there is still plenty to keep us busy adding the small finishing touches - like hooks in the bathrooms!

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the views and the hotel's location, and that you found all of the staff pleasant and the food enjoyable.

Bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Having read a number of very positive reviews for this hotel, stating the huge improvemnts since the new management have taken over, I booked 2 weekends for me, my husband and son to stay at the Chainbridge.
I have just returned from the first weekend I booked and I have cancelled the next one, even though the hotel Manager refused to refund the holding deposit for the next weekend.
On arrival on Friday evening we checked in, no problem. I could see that the reception, bar area and dining areas had indeed been recently decorated. These areas were fine; not contemporary or luxury in any way but totally fine.
We went to our room; room 37 on the second floor. Our room was horrendous! The decoration was awfully dated and not in the slightest coordinated, the double bed was very very old and extremely uncomfortable, the pilows were again old and pretty digusting. The 2 single beds had dirty bases and the matresses hung off the sides. The carpet had a piece missing about 3' x 2'. There were no plug sockets (except for behind the beds) to plug in the old kettle. There was no mirror in the bedroom. There was no hairdryer. The shower was luke warm and trickled out. There was skirting boards missing. The door to the balcony was totally broken and wouldn't shut properly as it was ripped of the hinges and not repaired. The heat in the room was unbareable, with no fans to cool the room. In summary it was horrendous.
We were in the area for a sporting event so had no choice but to stay!
Breakfast didn't start till 730am and there was no offer to assit us when we said we had to leave at 730am each morning to get to the event. In fact when I asked if they would reduce the rate slightly due to us not having breakfast, I was told 'not my fault you booked it and now can't have it'! No, it wasn't her fault but not a very customer friendly response!
On Sunday morning, thankfully our departure day, we went down from our room at 725am to pay our bill. The doors to reception area were locked. We waited 15 mins, nothing. The only staff in the hotel were 2 teenage girls setting up breakfast. Around 740am the manager, Seamus appeared in his coat. We explained we were now running very late so if he called us we would sort payment over the phone. No call all day!
In the evening, on our way home, we called back into the hotel to pay our bill as they had not called to take payment as arranged. When I arrived in reception I was told they had taken the payment off our credit card and they had also taken payment for our friends room off our credit card!!! I was horrified. Our friends room was not secured on our credit card so the hotel fraudulently took a payment!
After around 40 mins discussion with firstly a rude receptionist and then a very unhelpful and generally useless hotel manager we got the payment for our friends room refunded!
Not sure who wrote all the positive reviews but this hotel is not up to 1 star standard.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I've been waiting for this review, and the other twenty reviews you have explained you are going to ask people to write about the hotel, with great expectations. I apologise that you found my customer service lacking on this occasion, I find it incredibly difficult to be pleasant when I am being sworn at and insulted.

It's such a shame that people like you use Tripadvisor as a bargaining chip, and threaten hotels with bad reviews in order to try and get a discount on your stay. Threatening and attempting to bribe people unfortunately has the opposite effect to the one you desire, and strengthens my desire and my resolve to act morally, and not be deterred by attempts to intimidate.

Should any issue have been raised with us, we would have endeavoured to have resolved it, however nothing was mentioned. Indeed, I saw a member of your party at 7.20am, who made no mention of wanting to pay. As you rightly say, I was wearing a coat, which must be incredibly relevant, but if you'd have asked then I could have changed in to any number of different outfits. If the suggestion is that I was late, then I should let you know that I had been at the hotel since 6.30am, and if your suggestion is that I take a lazy approach to work I invite you to come and shadow me for a week. Anyhow, when the request was made to check out, twenty minutes before Reception opened, I of course obliged, only to be spoken to in a very rude and condescending manner that 'you'd better be quick', 'we don't have time for this', 'call us to sort payment, we're leaving'. It's not common practice for residents to leave a hotel without paying an outstanding bill. In regard to your comments regarding missing breakfast and wanting a reduction in price, we were not informed that you wished to leave early, however we often organise continental breakfasts for people who so wish. We were also never told that you wanted to check out before Reception opened.

During your stay, staff repeatedly parked in an area that is designated as no parking, and is for the use of turning only, as it is essential this space is left clear for emergency services. When you were politely asked to move your vehicle you refused, and were rude to our staff. When we continued to remind you of the need to move your vehicle you continued to be rude and the vehicle still remained unmoved.

I am personally delighted that you have cancelled your stay next week, and my decision not to return your £25 deposit (in accordance with our policy) was based largely on the rude way in which you spoke to my colleagues and me. For the record, the £25.00 has been donated to a local charity. I'll forward you their details if you wish to seek your money back.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Visited 24th-27th May 2013 Reception,Bar,Restaurant & Lounge areas clean and newly refurbished. However our SUITE as was described was in fact a FAMILY room ie one double bed & two singles Room 37, this will be a nice Room when it is finally finished Balcony door did not shut.no hairdryer.only one mirror this was in the bathroom.no waste bin in bedroom. Small things but all the things you would expect to have. On a positive note food good, setting brilliant overlooking the River Dee and Steam Trains running rght opposite. Just a short walk down the canal and you are in Llangollen.Will revisit when all refurbishments are complete and the Chainbridge re opens approx 2014.

Room Tip: If booking a suite make sure it is not no 37 as this is a large Family Room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at the hotel. I apologise that you were put in a Family Room rather than a suite, albeit a large room with balcony and river views, I appreciate that was not what you requested when you booked and I apologise for this error. We will be sure that such accidents don't happen again.

I'm very glad to hear that you were pleased by the renovations to the ground floor of the hotel, with its new bar, reception and lounge. It's good to hear too, that the food and unique setting were appreciated.

The hope is that the Chain Bridge which runs over the River Dee will be restored and reopened within 12 months, which will attract many visitors to the area, and we're delighted to hear that you'll be among them.

Seamus

Been to Chainbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!