“If you haven't got a visit to this hotel on your bucket list... maybe you should.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castle Hotel

You added Castle Hotel to your Saves list
Castle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   High Street, Conwy, Snowdonia National Park LL32 8DB, Wales   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Conwy
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is a family owned and run hotel in the centre of Conwy. The staff were most friendly and helpful - even advising where we could find some beer that they didn't stock. Our room had everything you could wish for - as well as some interesting furniture from far off lands - but it wasn't so much the furniture or facilities which attracted: More, it was the calm and efficient way the staff went about their work.
The building is ages old - it's a former coaching in - and doesn't have a lift [that's an elevator to some] which is probably the only reason why it has four stars instead of five.
Smokers have to go outside to the courtyard, but even there we were not treated as social lepers as there was comfortable seating, canopies for when it rains, and wall heaters in case it gets a bit chilly. But the most impressive reason for us to rave about was the food and the service. The Head Waiter, David, was most impressive with his knowledge of not only the food on offer but also the large wine list. He was unobtrusive and yet most attentive to our needs and it was a pleasure to learn so much from him. This is a man who knows his business and is happy to pass on his knowledge, if asked. His junior, Jodie, whilst clearly not as educated, brought a youthful freshness and even more enthusiasm to the restaurant. We got the impression that nothing was too much trouble, but then we didn't need to ask for anything.
So, about the food... my wife really likes fish and was completely wowed by her starter of scallops followed by salmon and crayfish. My chicken liver parfait followed by lamb cutlets and a slow-cooked lamb chunk [best way to describe it] was succulent and tasty. The desserts were to die for: honeycomb biscuit with strips of mango and a creamy parfait did the job for my wife; I had a simple locally produced scoop of strawberry ice cream. And, at the suggestion of David, we had a glass of dessert wine. The Chardonnay with the meal was served exactly as it should be - crisp and chilled - and even this small act emphasised how much care the staff took in serving excellent fare and advising us mere mortals of the best way to enjoy it. We knew they might have been 'selling up', but we really didn't mind as they knew better than we did about the best way to enjoy the food. Apparently, the kitchen staff were surprised when we asked if they would like a drink from the bar. They shouldn't have been - they deserved it. This was not a cheap meal, but it really was very, very good, and well worth the price. We now have another reason to go back to Conwy. I think the name of the restaurant within the hotel is called Shakespeare's, and if you prefer to eat outside or in the well-stocked bar, then that's not a problem.
In closing, when we go on trips, we like to experience all sorts of fare - from the local chippy to the fine dining at The Castle. My request for a very hot plate [I eat slowly] was not a problem - at some places it has been - and it would be difficult to find fault with any part of our visit. But hey, don't take my word for this - try it for yourself. Oops, nearly forgot: car parking is at the rear of the hotel or over the road.

Room Tip: No pool or fitness centre. But the sea is close if you want to swim; and there are mountains to clim...
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your very nice - and comprehensive review! I think I remember your visit and your preference for toffee vodka!

We have a great team of people working with us here and David has been a key member for a number of years now. Jodie is new, with a lovely personality and with a great future in the business.
We try and provide a quality experience every time and consistently good food and service always take high priority in our working day. Thank you for noticing our efforts.

I hope it's a bit too early for you to be worrying about your "Bucket List" !!

Hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Conway, Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Popped in for bite to eat this evening. Had smoked haddock and chorizo risotto followed by Caeser Salad. It was excellent. We live locally and pop in often. The food is consistently good, the location is great and is bang in centre of Conway yet always plenty of parking to rear of hotel. The staff are also very efficient and helpful. I personally like the bar and sitting room. Have not been to restaurant part. Good value also.

plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Always good to hear from regular local users.
We live or die by our repeat customers and our reputation in and around North Wales is critical to us all year round.
It's also nice to read that when we dine well over 100 people, as we did last night, the quality of our food and service remains.
Rose Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I find it hard to believe anyone could bag this place as we stayed for 2 nights while travelling around England and Wales...and we stayed in a lot of establishments and find this hotel superb.The staff,decor,ambience and food were top quality and one got the feeling that you were staying in something special in 'old' England.It is why you want to travel there.Sure every hotel cannot be perfect all the time as errors occur.We normally stay on business in 5 star hotels so we can compare...give us this type of hotel anyday. For people to whinge on really minor things can they ever be pleased!
We loved it as we did Amberley Castle and the Great White House Lavensham etc etc

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you very much for your lovely review - just what I needed on a Bank Holiday weekend!
It is a funny old world isn't it and with the advent of sites like TA, complaining about the little things seems to have become a national pastime, rather than asking for something to be done during the stay!
Ah well, after 40 years in the business, I suppose I shouldn't get too surprised or upset!
It's when I read reviews such as yours (and fortunately the majority of others we get are similar) that we keep calm and carry on!
Glad you enjoyed your holiday, hope we see you again on your next trip.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed in room 109 in August 2012. Based on the other reviews here, the rooms and furnishings appear to be highly variable. The decoration in my room was closer to what I would expect in a love hotel rather than somewhere that markets itself as an "old coaching inn", the rose wallpaper and red leather headboard being particular examples. The bathroom fittings were fine, however the bathroom was poorly ventilated, leading to some black mould on the ceiling. On a more positive note, the room had a view of the castle (albeit across a flat roof), and the hotel parking was convenient in spite of its town centre location.

plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write. We have tried to give the hotel a contemporary touch in some of the rooms, and Room 109 was when our interior designer was in a red mood! We have 28 rooms of all shapes and sizes and no two rooms are the same! I think we have something like 20 different colour ways and styles to choose from - I'm happy that you liked your room.
I'll check the ventillation in the bathroom - thank you!
Lake District
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We first visited Conwy in 2011 and stayed at The Castle on a Travelzoo deal. Fabulous boutique hotel with gorgeous bedrooms. The landing to the bedrooms is beautiful - has to be walked as often as possible at night with all the lamps on!! Food is very good - the same menu is available in the bar or the restaurant. The bar has a good atmosphere with attentive staff - especially the girl we think is manageress (long black hair tied back - always smiling) - knows everything going on and keeps a handle on staff and guests. If she's not manageress she should be!! We've been back to Conwy twice since our first trip - stayed elsewhere but always go back here to eat!!

Room Tip: All rooms very individual and gorgeous - we didn't have a Castle view but would ask for one next...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you for your review.

Really pleased you enjoy your visits to our place and hope we see you again soon. Watch your emails for another winter offer soon!
I think you are referring to Daniella in our bar, who is one of our supervisors and a bit of a star! I'll pass on your kind comments to her.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Staying at the Castle Hotel for the 5th time over a number of years, which included staying for Christmas and New Year on occasion, this was for the first time a disappointing experience!.
On arrival we were told that our table for dinner had not been reserved, although I had prebooked it two days previously ove the phone.
We had room 206 which although the decor in the room was on first appearance very good there were some basic elements lacking. For example, the windows were quite dirty with bird muck and appeared not to have been cleaned for some while.The cistern in the bathroom was very noisy every time the toilet was flushed.
The bath edging was in a state of some disrepair, in fact looked quite shoddy!
As well, I am only 5ft 2inches and the bed was too short.The door on the 2nd floor looked badly in need of painting.
When leaving although we had booked for a set price including dinner, our evening meal was added as an extra onto the final bill.
We have always loved visiting and staying at the hotel, but as we said for the first time feel that the standards and efficiency of the hotel have sadly declined somewhat!
We weren't even asked how our stay, was as we were checking out.
My reason for writing this critique mainly is that we hope the hotel becomes aware of these shortcomings and try to regain its previous high standards.
We left the hotel this morning feeling quite sad perhaps knowing that we would not stay again considering what the hotel charges.
The overiding attraction of the hotel however, and thankfully, is still the quality of the food and service.
Teresa and Kevin

plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Teresa and Kevin - I'm very sorry to read your review.
Aside from the problems with your room, we obviously didn't offer you the level of service you expected having stayed with us before.
We've been running the hotel for 12 years now and it is a constant challenge to keep our high standards of service and repair. We've spent thousands of £s on training and development in the last 12 months and run a constant renewal budget, but in challenging economic times, we can't do everything all at once. You mentioned our charges, but I think you'll find you paid less on the Champagne package you were on this time than you would have paid 5 years ago!
You'll be pleased to read that the bath panel was on a list of three to be replaced and will be by the end of the week. Window cleaner is due tomorrow, although the way the seagulls are at the moment, with lots of young - they'll have to be done again on Monday - which is difficult as it takes a very tall ladder and a very brave man to climb it!
I hope we will see you again and we'll try and contact you separate from this to discuss.
Audenshaw, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Two days in room 104 - four poster and wardrobe from the 16th century - they're absolutely gorgeous.
The building is lovely with mullioned windows, creaky floorboards and a complete lack of sterility , though it could slip into shabby if they don't keep on top of it.
Which is a worry.
The staff were friendly BUT the whole place suffered from a 'that'll do' attitude.
Room 104 is old so the en suite is tacked on and tiny.
Fair enough, it's a trade off for the age of the building and the stunning bed and wardrobe.
BUT - the wires running to the towel rail were jarring, the holes in the tiles where the last mirror was fixed were filled roughly, the shower was too short for a six foot man and was nearly impossible to get not scalding or freezing. The toilet seat wouldn't stand up and the flush was too stiff so didn't return. The handle didn't fit the bathroom door either - and what was the fire escape door doing right next to the main door? Shoddy.
Two breakfasts and a dinner were also experienced - none went smoothly.
Day one I asked for a cheese and mushroom omelette. I got cheese and tomato. I ate it anyway and it scored as edible but talentless. Day two I asked for the same just to see. It was the right order, was nicely cooked and well presented (if slightly over cheesed) - but arrived after my pot of coffee went tepid - way more than fifteen minutes. I restrained myself from wandering into the kitchen to cook my own.
Dinner was fine apart from my risotto which looked rushed to arrive with the rest of the main meal so was undercooked (al dente rice is OK but there shouldn't be flowing liquid in the bowl - it hadn't had time to be absorbed). Tasty but inept.
The staff were nice but after the debacle of the first breakfast I wasn't inclined to complain for fear that it would escalate into full on Fawlty comedy.
I'd go back - but would pack my sense of humour.
Four stars out of five for the establishment - old and characterful but sooooo let down by shoddy details.
The staff were friendly but apparently trained my Manuel. Buckets were banged around at six in the morning, the utility room door was propped open for staff convenience, which spoils the ambience, and the kitchen staff need beating with sticks to get back to a semblance of competency etc etc
So two stars for the staff - trying hard and friendly does not beat efficient and friendly.
A shame.
It's a lovely place let down by poor finishing.
I bet the management reads this and has a huge huff over the criticisms because they think it's such a great place.
They should get out more - it's not good enough when it could be a little belter.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Uum! Not sure what to make of this one!!
I think he enjoyed his stay - after all he stayed for 2 days - paid and checked out - and didn't say a word - not even when he got tomatoes in his omelette instead of mushrooms!
Apparently he's worried that we might become "shabby" if we "don't keep on top of it". He's right there, bit like the Fourth Bridge this place! If you run a hotel in a 16th Century listed building, it's a bit like pouring money down a big hole! But for the most part we manage to keep on top of it!
We've just invested another £50,000 downstairs and have a constant 'repairs & renewals' budget, which is over spent every year and sometimes when you're working in one area, a problem arises in another!
Room 104 is a bit quirky, with the antique furniture and 4 poster bed and it does have a fire door in it exiting onto a protected area away from the main stairs - A requirement of our Fire Officer - Safety not "shoddy"!
We haven't taken a "huge huff" to your review, just wished you had the gumption to say something whilst you were here so we could have had a mature discussion with you rather than call us 'Fawlty' in your very smart review on Tripadvisor!

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!