“Good base for a North Wales short break” 4 of 5 stars

The Lodge Conwy
Tal y Bont, Conwy, Snowdonia National Park LL32 8YX, Wales   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Conwy
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
“Good base for a North Wales short break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Like some previous reviewers, we stayed here on a two night break through Groupon. We paid £149 for two people (including the extra £5 per person, per night for breakfast) The deal also included dinner on the first night.

The "real" rate was supposedly £296 for two people, excluding breakfast and I have to say I would have been outraged if I'd paid this sort of money, for a small, no real frills motel and an uninspiring dinner, but the Groupon deal was a very fair price and we didn't feel we'd been robbed.

The main good thing to say about The Lodge is that it is extremely well positioned for exploring North Wales and we would certainly use it again - if another deal came up, that is.

It is also immaculately and spotlessly clean, with a cosy, welcoming bar/lounge area and attractive restaurant. Our room did remind me of the 'Crossroads Motel' somewhat, with the washbasin outside the bathroom and front door straight to the outside, but the large comfortable bed and sparkling clean fixtures and fittings made up for the lack of proper country hotel charm.

The included dinner on the first night was OK I guess - average, unimaginative, pub grub. My fish pie was plentiful, but bland and other choices I can remember were soup and melon to start and pie of the day and gammon as mains. The only vegetables on offer were peas and chips or new potatoes.

Breakfast, on the other hand was absolutely excellent.

The ordinariness of the meal and quietness of the hotel during the two nights we were there, resulting in the atmosphere of the bar and restaurant being extremely lacking, led to us not taking advantage of the Groupon offer the following night of a free bottle of wine with two courses. We ate at the Groes Inn, three miles up the road, towards Conwy, which was very jolly.

There is also a pub about five mins walk from The Lodge, in the other direction, serving bar meals at very reasonable prices.

Staff at the hotel are chatty and welcoming. Wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of the guy who appears to run the place though.........as the previous reviewer has already demonstrated!

We had three days, two nights of a lovely North Wales break. We saw lots of lovely places and it was nice to return to the quietness and good location of the Lodge in the evening. As I mentioned earlier, we'd certainly come again - but certainly not at that full rack rate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Gosport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My son booked a stay at this hotel at around 3pm just 2 days before travel. By 3.15 we realised that late rooms had made an error and it was far to far away for us to use and attend business. I called laterooms to cancel and they said they would check direct with the hotel. They came back with a yes but 100% charge! I said no I would call the hotel myself and explain. I did this and spoke to a man. I explained the room had only been 'out of circulation' for less than 2 hours and that I would happily pay a small admin fee but no more. He said he would drop the charge from over £400 pounds to £100. I explained that was still rather excessive as the room was only unavailable for a couple of hours and the cancellation fee was for long term bookings cancelled. His reply was exactly this! " Well you have made a monumental cockup then haven't you, Goodbye" at which point he hung up the phone! Anyone who can behave in this fashion to someone who was trying to be perfectly reasonable and resolve a situation should not be let near the public never mind run a hotel!

Room Tip: Saty at the Hotel Port Dinorwick http://www.hotelportdinorwic.com/ Amazing hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
lodge5243, Owner at The Lodge Conwy, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
I have thought long and hard as to the reply to this poor review. Having discussed the same with Late Rooms, they have encouraged me to leave a response.This potential customer made a mistake by giving her Son her credit card to make an internet booking to check in the following day.The Son accepted the Terms & Conditions on the internet to make the booking. The booking was made a 2.53pm and was subsequently cancelled at 10.44pm ( 8 hours have elapsed).Just before the booking was cancelled the customer telephoned to advise that the family were not going to arrive. At this stage I informed the lady of the cancellation policy and the subsequent charges, of which I reduced drastically as a gesture of goodwill.
It is very clear in the terms and conditions that a cancellation charge be made, however even though I reduced this rate, I was still interpreted as being Rude and Unhelpful. The lady leaving this review has blamed everyone except herself.
Myself, Family and Staff endeavour to create a warm welcoming atmosphere for all our guests to enjoy. It is not in my best interests to be rude.
west midlands UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

When we booked this hotel we were not sure we had done the right thing
But on arrival being greeted by christian names all fears started to vanish and the staff were so friendly The room was very clean and had everything we needed for a weekend stay
Both the breakfast and evening meals were first class
will look forward to staying there again next time we are in the area

wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed at the lodge on a Groupon deal for 2 nights this week. First of all,when I booked over the phone the lady I spoke to was lovely, friendly and informative, I was told about breakfast being £5pppn-no problem.
When we arrived first impression was how clean the Lodge is, second was how friendly everyone is.
Checking in was a breeze and when we got to our room it was SPOTLESS. The 3 couse meal included in the Groupon price didn't have massive choice but what we had was fresh,home made, piping hot on hot plates and plentiful.
The shower was great-no prob with water pressure or temp.
Slept well on both nights.
Breakfast on both mornings had a good choice was fresh and again served on hot plates (and not the kind of sitting under a lamp, hot)
The tea at breakfast actually had enough tea bags in the pot to still be good after topping up with hot water!
Would I have paid £296 for 2 nights(if the groupon full price quote is correct) ? No
Would I be happy to go back if I could get a good price? YES. It would be the first place I would check when going back to North Wales,

Room Tip: We had room 7-lovely aspect over looking a garden and patio area
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Recently stayed here for 2 nights at the Lodge in Conwy. The owners were very friendly and hospitable. Rooms were very clean and the food was excellent,the location is great as you are close to Conwy centre with attractions such as Conwy Castle and not far from the very scenic Betws y coed - also not far from Llanndudno. Would definitely recommend!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed in August using a groupon voucher. We had an amazing stay. The owners and staff were all extremely freindly and helpful and would go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
Food was also amazing all homemade and to a high standard. The pictures do not do the place justice! A great place to stay and would recomend to friends, a great base!

Chalfont Saint Peter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We came to The Lodge Hotel for four nights (KGB Deals offer). The owner and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. We needed appointment with a doctor for our daughter and they arranged everything within 1 hour. They were very welcoming and giving us amazing service every day. We had brilliant three courses dinner on the first evening. The owner advised us what are the nearest tourist attractions and what was the most important some practical information regarding car parks, best times to visit attractions or ways of avoiding long waiting. Overall it was great place to stay and close to all nice places to visit.
FROM ALL OF US (10 people) BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR HOSPITALITY AND SUPPORT.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Lodge Conwy? Share your experiences!