“Still Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dawson's Bar & Restaurant

Dawson's Bar & Restaurant
The Castle Hotel | High Street, Conwy, Snowdonia National Park LL32 8DB, Wales (Formerly Dawsons Restaurant)
01492 582 800
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dawson's Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 46 Restaurants in Conwy
Cuisines: Eclectic, British, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: High Street
Transit: Trains: There is a main rail stop in the town of Llandudno Junction (a 5 minute taxi ride away), also Conwy has its own station accessed by a fantastic Telford bridge across the Conwy estuary but this is a requested stop, and only a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Buses: Being a world heritage site Conwy is accessed regularly by all bus routes.
Description: Dawson"s @ The Castle Hotel Conwy offers inspired use of fantastic local produce to create our Michelin guide recommended, AA 2 rosette awarded dishes that suit all occasions, from a quick bite to eat to that special occasion dinner. With a choice of different areas, bar/lounge and dining room, the ambience and "buzz" of satisfied diners adds to the overall experience and our friendly, un-stuffy service will hope to satisfy your every need. The building dates back to the 16thC but has been transformed with the tasteful marriage of modern, sophisticated style and sympathetic renovation of period features, meaning whichever area you choose to dine in you are sure of being enveloped in over a hundred years of celebrations and good times, the intangible made real. The wine list is also worth note, with no fewer than 19 wines by the glass, from white, to red to rose and then sparkling, you are sure to find a favorite being offered!
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
“Still Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We visited this restaurant after an absence of three years during which we had moved away. We were not disapointed. The ambiance has improved if anything and the food remains just as good. The smoked haddock risotto is stunning as a starter and we then had the rump of lamb and the posh fish and chips both of which were faultless.
What was noticeable was that things that were meant to be hot were properly hot and those that were meant to be cold were cold. Sounds simple but a lot of places struggle with this.
Puds were a struggle. That is making up one's mind was very tricky! I enjoyed my raspberry creme brulee but then I would have enjoyed all of them.
The wine list was comprehensive and included enough of a range to meet any eventuality. The service was just the right amount of attention whilst letting us eat without interruption. Having read the previous review I'm glad that some people are not coming back; all the better for us fans.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
plavin1906, Owner at Dawson's Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. Obviously everything changes including the team front of house and in the kitchen, but we do try hard to maintain a consistently good experience for our guests.
Great to see you back again!

Conwy, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have eaten here many times and have not once been disappointed over the standard and presentation of the food on offer. We always book a table in the bar as we prefer the informal atmosphere in there and they do serve the same food as in the restaurant. As with many restaurants today they add a service charge to your bill. We always tip for good service but would rather give an amount we choose that have one dictated to us. We will be back as the food is superb and it’s within walking distance from where we live

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“made our holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

loved the outside space. loved the food. loved the small dished and nibbles. just perfect for casual dining

Visited May 2013
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Visited for a celebration meal,I will not go into who said what but at best the food was mediocre but the service was awful ,when we complained several times the waiter became rude back to us I went to find the manager to complain he became aggressive and told me I had put his back up then told my friend to take a chill pill,but a reduction in the bill was made, I understand that even in the best places it sometimes go's wrong but they usually have a mature professional who can smooth these things over quietly and efficiently I could not believe this person was on the front desk of such a nice establishment of which I have been frequenting for the last 25 years without complaint,suffice to say it ruined our evening and in this establishment the customer is not always right.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
plavin1906, Owner at Dawson's Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
It's a funny thing drink! Here was a group of 8 men late in the evening, who decided they'd waited too long for their desserts, which they probably had if we're honest!
Unfortunately, instead of a quiet word with the duty manager, they decided to make a scene in a full bar of regular diners, with the 'friend' chipping in with abusive asides! Maybe that's "mature" in Bangor, but I'm afraid we took offence!
We removed the cost of the desserts, even though they were well received by the majority and consumed! You win some - you lose some I guess!
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“Excellent vegetarian flatbread and the best chips in North Wales”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I came here with my partner for some Saturday lunch, we shared the goats cheese and caramelised onion flatbread with a portion of chips. And oh my it was absolutely gorgeous!! There was plenty to share for two people wanting a light lunch, it was all beautifully homemade and the chips were to die for, they had been cooked to very golden brown so they had that lovely taste to them, crispy on the outside and lovely and soft on the inside. We sat in the bar area which was pleasant and quite informal, it had a great selection of drinks and I treated myself to a rasperry beer which was also gorgeous. Will definetely be going back!

• Visited April 2013