“One word...........WOW!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

0845 3881861
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
1861 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 75 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Restaurant 1861 is a small rural family run restaurant in monmouthshire using locally sourced produce and home grown fruit and vegetables. The restaurant is a friendly professional relaxed fine dining venue ideal for all occasions.
wales
“One word...........WOW!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I spotted a very good groupon deal for 1861 restaurant and as we'd been there before and thoroughly enjoyed it I immediately bought it!!
I have to say that like last time we again weren't disappointed. The service was second to none and the food was outstanding!!! We had an amushe bouche of rhubard chutney and pork terrine which was stunning then for starters I had the scallops and my husband had the fritters, the scallops presentation was absolutely beautiful I actually felt quite guilty eating it it was soooooooooo pretty and to follow I had the cod and my husband the wild boar, my cod was flavourful and meaty and very filling, I tried my husbands wild boar and it was actually very nice also (im not a fan of meat cooked pink but it was very nice indeed). For dessert I had the trio of chocolate (which unfortunately I couldnt finish as I was so full) but my husband polished it off after he'd eaten his delightful looking cheese board and chutneys. After dessert we retired to the lounge area for coffee and petit foures (again i didnt have any of these due to still feeling very full). The matre de and waitress were both lovely and very friendly and chatty and i feel that helps with the whole atmosphere. Simon also came out and spoke to us and my husband congratulated him on a wonderful dinner and also talked about foraging and growing veg on his allotment. Over all a fantastic evening with stunning food and wine. We will be going again in the not too distant future.........Job well done Simon and Kate!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

tredegar gwent
“not as good as our first visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

visited with a groupon voucher,( £17 for £40 off a meal for 2), there was 3 of us dinning, we knew is was not going to be a "bar meal" experience from our previous visit,, starters of 2x chicken/herb tureen was bland but the relish added a bit of flavour ,1x fritters/salad and colston bassett cheese was very good,the cheese was very tasty in fact i,v googled it!,main meal of lamb trio, wild board and pigs trotter(hardly any meat more stuffing) was slightly disappointing, our previous visit we had a pork dish and trio of beef which we felt was far better,2 x deserts, trio of chocolate was lovely, even though i did,nt have one i could smell the chocolate from where i was sitting, over all we enjoyed our evening, yes very pricey,one small coke, 2 pints of larger, bottle of cider and 3 glasses of wine, bottle of still water with meal and a coffee, £112.00 (not forgetting the £40 groupon voucher)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
South Wales
“Excellent in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Had lunch at 1861 on Friday 8 March 2012. Excellent service and superb food. Each course was wonderful, with the added bonus of 'amuse bouche' in between. The souffle dessert was possibly one of the best deserts I've ever had (in this country). Would return for a 2nd visit without doubt. OK it's pricey, but you expect to pay for food as good as this.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newport Gwent
“Interesting and tasty food BUT not value for money in present climate !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Wife and I visited lunchtime with a Groupon voucher purchased for £17.00 food value £40.00.
The voucher we were told on arrival would allow us to choose from the al la carte menu only.
First course examples were fish soup,mackerel,risotto varied in price around £8.
Main course examples were trio of lamb,pigs trotter,belly pork,cod in champagne sauce varied in price around £22.00
Wine around £5 a glass bottle beer around £3.50p
Sweets around £8.50p
There was no or little ambience the two staff on duty appeared under pressure with ten customers present !
Presentation of all food was first class,extremely small portions but as mentioned above very tasty.
I will let you do the maths on the final bill, which I would have expected in a first class restaurant perhaps celebrating a special occasion but I question the value for money aspect for a lunchtime experience hence my honest but poor rating.
The saying 'Let experience be my guide' was quite apt on this occasion and no we did not require a take a way on the way home ! lol

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“A wonderful lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We had such a lovely meal at 1861 that we have constantly talked about it. I had goose as a starter which is an absolute favourite and rare to find in UK restaurants. We hope to make a return visit before too long. One of the best restaurants we have been to in the past twelve months.