“Another yummy scrummy meal” 5 of 5 stars

0845 3881861
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
1861 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 77 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant 1861 is a small rural family run restaurant in monmouthshire using locally sourced produce and home grown fruit and vegetables. The restaurant is a friendly professional relaxed fine dining venue ideal for all occasions.
Southern Wales, United Kingdom
“Another yummy scrummy meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We live near Abergavenny where there is a 'golden triangle' of excellent restaurants but 1861 stands out. Every time we visit this restaurant we have a good experience, the food is consistently good. We have opted for the 7 course tasting menu (£49.50) in the past but this time chose from the al a carte menu. A lovely savoury amuse bouche followed by scallops for my husband(BH) and confit goose for myself-yummy. For main I took a risk with the stuffed pig's trotter-it was excellent and BH was a little sorry he hadn't ordered it too, though his trio of lamb was also very good.
Another dessert amuse bouche was followed by the best (rhubarb) creme brulee we've had outside France and a delicious pear tatin with quince sorbet.
Kate keeps an interesting selection of wines at all price points including our favourite Puligny Montrachet at £55 but we didn't push the boat out this time. If I have a request at all it would be to increase the choice of half bottles-but that's something that most restaurants seem slow to do.

• Visited February 2013

Opwijk, Belgium
“Excellent culinair visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

After travelling some days in Wales, we staid at a nice B&B in Abergavenny. It was pure luck that we discovererd the 1861 restaurant.
The warm welcome was very stylish with champagne and nice amuse gueule apéritif.
Dinner was really excellent with correct prices and exquise wines.
Born in Belgium, we know what an excellent restaurant experience is, well this was one.
Really highly recomanded.
Katleen en Bart

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Blackwood, Wales, United Kingdom
“first visit but wont be my last”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Fantastic dinning experience! we had a warm welcome from Kate, and enjoyed excellent food prepared by Simon, being vegetarian you are very often limited in choice even in high quality restaurants, 1861 didn't let us down, highly recommended!!!

• Visited January 2013
merthyr tydfil
“A foodie delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

1861 is my partners favourite restaurant, she loves the food and being a coeliac sufferer really appreciates the fact that they have a separate gluten free menu. Why can't all restaurants do this?
We visited for lunch a few days ago to celebrate a birthday and as always the whole experience was a delight. A couple of glasses of the house champagne whilst perusing the menu and chatting to Kate in the bar was followed by a leisurely meal in the nicely furnished dining room. S, my partner, opted for the scallops starter followed by grilled sea bass whilst I chose the fish soup starter then something I'd never tried before, braised pigs trotter! As I was driving a bottle of wine would have been too much but the house wines by the glass are of excellent quality and cancels out the usual problem of me liking red and S preferring white thus one having to compromise.
The food was superbly cooked and I'm pleased to report that the braised pigs trotter which requires six hours of preparation ticked all the boxes for me despite my natural conservatism when it comes to anything slightly out of the ordinary. Try it for yourself if you have carnivore leanings, you will not be disappointed.
This is not a cheap restuarant but everything from the amusee bouche to the petit fours and coffee is top quality and served with class. I wish I could afford to eat like this every day but then the "special" would be lost. There is another first class restaurant a few miles down the road which is much better known having been existence for many years. I do not know if they are worried by 1861 but they certainly need to be.

• Visited January 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Just gets better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I have written about 1861 before and at the risk of being boring, I feel I must tell you about it again.
Because the restaurant is fully booked for Christmas Day, Simon & Kate presented Christmas lunch on the 23rd as well. A bit of a dress rehearsal Kate said.
Well if that was a dress rehearsal those lucky enough to have a table on the 25th are in for a real treat.
Simon has excelled himself. The menu was absolutely perfect. The textures, flavours, presentation and portions were all as good as we have come to expect from what has become our favourite place to eat.
Kate made us welcome as always and seemed to appear at all the right times to cater to our needs. This is surely the sign of a first class establishment.
But the Christmas menu itself was simply divine. If I have to pick out a shining star it must be the Christmas Pudding Souffle, which defies description, so I wont even try.
A fabulous start to the festivities.
Thank you the King family. Have a great Christmas and enjoy your well earned break.
We will be standing on the doorstep when you reopen in January.

• Visited December 2012