“Lovely Hosts and Cosy rooms” 5 of 5 stars

The Kings Head
59/60 Cross Street, Abergavenny NP7 5EU, Wales   |
Ranked #8 of 28 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
Istanbul, Turkey
“Lovely Hosts and Cosy rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

A lovely place to stay while visiting the Market town of Abergavenny,
The rooms are really nice and cosy. Quality of food is high and the cooked breakfast served in the restaurant is great.
You will be sure of a welcome here form the friendly hosts.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
south wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Lovely pub in centre of town. After late night out, friendly welcome back! Room clean, nice sheets, fluffy towels, shame bout chintzy old fashioned cover! Just leave it off! No sleep tho as room like a sauna! Tried to turn bathroom rad off but it was sooo boiling! Shame. bed comfy nice pillows! I just dont do heating in bedroom! Breakfast and service excellent! Lovely pub, def recommend. Thanks for friendly stay

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I stay at the Kings Head as often as we can. We live in the East Midlands but will drive to Abergavenny and stay here whenever we can. They even arranged everything for my wife's birthday. Very friendly people everywhere, good food in the 59.
It is a very old building so don't expect a premier modular inn. All the rooms have character, I have in stayed in many of them. Music on a Friday night, makes for a great end to the night.

Room Tip: If you stay on a Friday night, just ask for a room at the back unless you are going to be in the bar...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Orpington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Found the staff very friendly and relaxed which immediately put me at ease. Service was very efficient and responsive. The twin room was cosy and the age of the building gave it character while having all the modern amenities I would expect. A small negatve was the need to use two remotes (in specified sequence) to operate the TV. Unfortunately I didn't read the instruction first. No big deal. Abgergavenny is a really nice, well preserved, market town and I wasn't there to watch TV. The full english breakfast was great and prepared to my specification. All the staff I came across were courteous and friendly. Would be very happy to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Caerphilly County, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have seen some of the comments on here and cannot believe they are eating at the same place.
I regularly along with my wife eat at this establishment and can honestly say I have never received a poor meal.
Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones or it may be that the ones that are complaining are over fussy.
My last visit was October 19th, I had fish and chips and my wife recieved Steak and ale pie.
Both meals were cooked to perfection, as they always have been-the staff have always been polite and prompt with their service.
I would always recommend this restaurant to any visitor to Abergavenny.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here from the 7th to the 13th Sep. First impressions on walking through the door: 1- Great location right next to the town centre, bus station and train station. 2: Friendly staff.

When I went to the room I found it very odd that the rooms we're all uneven! If you pushed the chair out from the dressing table it would fall over!

Good points from my vistit: location, owners are friendly enough, breakfast was nice and tasted fresh.

Bad points from my visit:
1: You are expected to reuse your towels, I was left a note telling me this on day 2. Which of course I refused to take any notice of. However when the maids came they then reduced my towels from 2 to 1. Then on the 2nd last night I came back to find the wet towel I had used in the morning and put in the shower had been folded up and put back on the rail. This is disgusting reusing towels causes bacterial infections on your skin, also because the towel is damp the bacteria from your skin grows on the towel!!! I complained no apology just given clean ones.
3: The bath mat towel was changed every 3 day's instead of daily.
4: My bed sheets had not been changed since I stayed they're. The reason I know this there was a stain on the quilt cover when I arrived and was still there when I left! I would not be surprised if the sheets weren't even changed for my visit.
5: Woken up at 5am or 6am every morning by banging, slamming of doors, sliding drawers or wardrobe sounds. Told the owner said he would have a word but still
continued.
6: Every evening you had a strong smell of cigarette smoke from people smoking outside.
7: The pillows had Brown yellow stains all over them.
8: Toilet roll was not replaced everyday or second day.
9: Carpets are disgusting they severely need cleaned or renewed!.
10: Since my stay you can see the bathroom has not been disinfected or cleaned.

I didn't expect the Ritz but for spending over £300 for 6 nights stay I did expect a clean bed, bathroom, fresh towels, a good sleep and utilitys stocked up.

I don't normally do reviews but I just felt extremely disappointed and didn't want someone to stay here without knowing the issues I had been faced with.

• Stayed September 2013
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had a birthday treat lunch here today and it was lovely. A good atmosphere, friendly efficient staff and really good food. I had home baked ham egg and chips and husband had the liver bacon and onions with mash. Very good value and a welcome stop while shopping. Highly recommend it to travellers

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Kings Head? Share your experiences!