“Set lunch excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
“Set lunch excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

A birthday lunch for an old Friend with a very small appetite but the rest of the group all had the set menus and the portions are generous tasty and well presented excellent service and a friendly atmosphere very enjoyable celbration

Visited July 2014

Crickhowell, United Kingdom
“Our Number One!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We cannot compare the Walnut Tree with any other restaurant we have visited and consider ourselves blessed to live near enough to be able to go there regularly. We choose to take advantage of the lunch-time Fixed Menu which always offers enough choices and superb quality, without breaking the bank. Every dish is presented simply and exquisitely - piping hot and direct from the kitchen. Local seasonal ingredients delight the palate - seasoning is so well judged that we never feel the need to add or subtract. Service is friendly, unpretentious and efficient with excellent attention to detail. Don't miss out on the coffee and home-made sweet meats - it can't be beaten. We have celebrated informal family birthdays, lunches and anniversaries there and never had a meal in which we were disappointed. Maybe we have been lucky - but I don't think so - it could be that the chef [Shaun Hill] is normally in the Kitchen!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Simply Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Oh my goodness this is a real find, situated in beautiful welsh countryside the Walnut Tree is everything a dining experience should be about. Informal, innovative , and surprise surprise a chef who is in his own kitchen. The food is superb atmosphere good and staff friendly. I just want to keep going back . Nothing to dislike

Visited May 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Yum-Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Had heard from a colleague that this was "the other" excellent restaurant in Abergavenny so managed to book a mid-week slot for my wife & I. Had a lovely summer evening drive from Cardiff on the A449 and then A40 (and A465 just at the end!) to the restaurant. Space enough on the forecourt for approx. 12 or so cars. We arrived 45 mins early but no problems being seated. Fairly dimly lit, earthy colour scheme inside. Making it nice and cosy feeling. Given a complimentary pre-starter consisting of a breaded fish ball with a kind of mustard sauce. Lovely! Then a starter for me of Sea Bass and chilli(spicy) cauliflower. My wife had Monk fish with tomato chilli/ginger.Both excellent. For mains we had the the Grilled+ southern style chicken/sweet corn fritter and also the Halibut with shrimps and dill. Perfectly cooked and tasty and well presented. We were both "full" after this but I managed to squeeze some vanilla ice cream in at the end, also very nice! There were plenty of other choices of pudding but that was all I could manage to eat by that stage.
Service excellent. Good to go midweek as weekends busy. Closed on Sundays/Mondays I believe.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lydney, United Kingdom
“NEVER DISAPPOINTED”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I have been an occasional visitor to this fabulous establishment for many years. Since Shaun Hill took up residence I have always been very happy with the quality of his cuisine and the lovely staff who have served us. Last week I had his set lunch.3-course lunch. There were five of us in the party and the bill including pre-lunch drinks, a good bottle of wine and coffee was £225 with service. Excellent value in my opinion and well worth another visit soon.

I had a lovely starter of seat-trout followed by the most succulent confit of duck-leg with pig cheek. Meltingly tender and utterly yummy. Pudding was Bakewell tart with vanilla ice-cream. pretty unbeatable combination on a warm summer's day! Shaun bakes the most delicious bread too. Always the sign of a good restaurant.

I am sorry to see other reviewers having less than an excellent experience and am somewhat nonplussed because my experiences here have always been delightful, entertaining and culinarily, highly satisfying. I left the meal replete. There is absolutely nothing mean about the portions and this place would always be my first choice over other erstwhile establishments nearby.

• Visited June 2014