A group of eight of us booked a meal here last night, for 6.30pm. It's a nice pub of character, with good beer, but the meal was a bad experience. It took THREE hours [6.30pm to 9.30pm] to serve eight people with a two course meal. At one point the not very pressured waiter said "I've told the chef to hurry up"! The pub was not crowded, especially in the Coach House.
The food, when it eventually came, was of very poor standard. Some of it was badly cooked [the whitebait, the steak and the stroganoff]. Some of it was just poor quality meat [the belly pork]. The chef has a very heavy hand with salt, too! And there were mistakes in the service too, with the wrong meal delivered to one of the party. The reason, according to the waiter, was that "Nobody tells the chef what the 'specials' on the blackboard are - that's the second mistake like this he's made this week"!
All in all, a very disappointing experience - in spite of the good beer. [Which is another point - the Coach House staff will only serve lager...to get beer, customers have leave the meal to go to the main pub. Still, there was plenty of time for this as it all took so long to serve.]
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Black Boy Inn is a listed building which is situated in the historic town walls of the Royal Borough of Caernarfon. The Inn is within easy walking distance to the town centre, and the famous 13th-century Castle. An old Inn dating back to 1522 and with its wooden paneling, low ceilings, and thick wooden support beams generates a cosy 'Olde Worlde' Welsh atmosphere. The Black Boy is a very busy Inn; please do not expect it to be a slow laid back hotel. It is in the centre of the tourist hub of North Wales and long wait times can be norm in middle of summer. Come and visit us in the winter season for a more laid back feeling.We now also have Black Jacks, which is another renovated building in courtyard, at rear of Inn .Black Jacks is away from the hustle of the main Inn . All suites have small kitchen area.No lift in building.Some Ground floor rooms are easy access with walk in showers , 1st floor variety of rooms as is 2nd floor.We offer 24 hour staff attendance. When you stay in any country you must wish to stay in somewhere that reflects that country ,we certainly do majority of our staff are welsh speaking and so are the owners .Meal timesSunday to Thursday: Noon until 9.00P.M. Friday and Saturday. Noon until 9.30P.M.Table reservations can be made via reception up to 6.30P.M. Table allocation after 6.30.Pm. Will be made on availability. Waiting times can vary and an indication of any delay will be conveyed to you. To arrange a table reservation (up to 6.30P.M.)In peak season we cannot accept table bookings at all due to the volume of trade ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, T4B, Agoda, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Black Boy Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Black Boy Hotel Caernarfon
- Black Boy Inn Caernarfon, Wales