If you want a great historical property with nicely modernised rooms, then the Black Boy Inn in Caernarfon would be really hard to beat.
We only had one night here, and we were hiking in Snowdonia the following day, but this was an ideal location - in a lovely castled town, and only 20 minutes drive from Tryfan and the Glyders where we hiked.
The Inn is situated just inside the old town walls - and this in itself is really dramatic. If you are from abroad and looking for history, this is a must visit town and the Inn is a brilliant place to stay - great rooms and a lovely pub and dining room with good food. The magnificent castle is only two minutes walk away!
Our room was in the building to the back of the Inn, accessed through the courtyard. Parking is available by the Inn or in the courtyard if you are lucky. The room was on the third floor - fine for us, with a partial view out over to the sea. Although an old building, it had been tastefully renovated and was nice and warm. The room was spacious enough and the bed really comfortable. We were there on a Friday night and the night was disturbed by what turned out to be a false fire alarm around half past midnight. No worries!
We had dinner in the dining room at 8pm - I had tried to book a table when we booked the room, but was told they didnt take bookings for dinner after 6pm!! Strange. Apparently, a lot of people eat really early over there. Not to worry, we saw the head waitress at 7;15 and asked her if she could find us a table for around 8pm, while we went into the bar for a drink. She said it wouldnt be a problem.
We went to the bar - where there were some truly lovely local ales - Purple Moose Brewery etc, and a decent selection of wines. The bar was really busy - many locals and very much Welsh speaking. It was all very friendly. We also met a nice couple of Canadian ladies and had a good chat. The big barman was amazing - he can serve three people at the same time! No waiting. When we went back to the dining room - sure enough, a nice table was waiting for us in what is a great dining room with a warm feeling. Although busy, the service was excellent throughout. The food was brilliant - good gastro pub style food.
Breakfast was served in the old hall-style room between the Inn and the accommodation at the rear. Service again was excellent. The food very good - and kippers were on the menu. Thank you!
All in all, a highly recommended place.
- Also Known As:
- Black Boy Hotel
- Black Boy Hotel Caernarfon
- Black Boy Inn Caernarfon, Wales
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Black Boy Inn is a listed building which is situated in the historic town walls of the Royal Borough of Caernarfon. The Inn is within easy walking distance to the town centre, and the famous 13th-century Castle. An old Inn dating back to 1522 and with its wooden paneling, low ceilings, and thick wooden support beams generates a cosy 'Olde Worlde' Welsh atmosphere. The Black Boy is a very busy Inn; please do not expect it to be a slow laid back hotel. It is in the centre of the tourist hub of North Wales and long wait times can be norm in middle of summer. Come and visit us in the winter season for a more laid back feeling.We now also have Black Jacks, which is another renovated building in courtyard, at rear of Inn .Black Jacks is away from the hustle of the main Inn . All suites have small kitchen area.No lift in building.Some Ground floor rooms are easy access with walk in showers , 1st floor variety of rooms as is 2nd floor.we offer 24 hour staff attendance. When you stay in any country you must wish to stay in somewhere that reflects that country ,we certainly do majority of our staff are welsh speaking and so are the owners .Meal timesSunday to Thursday: Noon until 9.00p.m. Friday and Saturday. Noon until 9.30p.m.Table reservations can be made via reception up to 6.30p.m. Table allocation after 6.30.pm. will be made on availability. Waiting times can vary and an indication of any delay will be conveyed to you. To arrange a table reservation (up to 6.30p.m.) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity and Otel so you can book your Black Boy Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.