“Faulty Towers” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 26 Bangor B&B and Inns
Drogheda, Ireland
“Faulty Towers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

All that was missing was Bazil himself! Baytree Lodge is like an old worn stage-set from the fifties. My husband, daughter and myself were warmly welcomed when we arrived and shown our triple room. Two double beds and a single were squeezed into the allotted space. We fell over each other in the morning getting ready for the day, causing much marital disharmony and discord. The decor caused much merriment and needs serious rehabilitation. The room was warm. The towels were handkerchief thin and there was no shower gel or shampoo in the bathroom. The shower was in the bath and contained a circular shower curtain which wrapped itself around your body as you showered. There was no hair dryer in the room. The landlady kindly gave us a loan of her own appliance. We eventually found a working socket. The sockets that were visible, were positioned above the bathroom door. 'Bring a very tall partner if staying a la Baytree'. We travelled by ferry to Wales and if we had known prior to the trip, the shortfalls in the toiletries department, we could easily have thrown in towels, gels and a hair-dryer into the car boot. Breakfast consisted of juice, cereals, toast and a cooked meal. The glasses were plastic and the delph and cutlery was mismatched and frail, to say the least. The waiter could not be drawn, in terms of conversation and looked like he had been handed down a life sentance.
Taking on board all of the above, Baytree Lodge was still good value for money, just bring a sense of humour with you when you go and lower your expectations.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Skipton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Blood on the bathroom floor . kettle unsafe. looks like sewage stains on downstairs corridor ceiling . Terrible smell along bottom corridor.
Towel rail in bathroom disconnected for our safety.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Only stayed there because they were cheap. I only hope I did not get any bugs while I was there. The wifi in the rooms was so poor that i had to use the lounge more. The wash basin was cracked and leaked. The bed stands had a blood or red stain. Numerous holes in the duvet cover.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Victoria, BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We spent one night and that was okay, but not up to the quality of other B & B's that we stayed at on the same trip in the same price range. Our room was quite dark and the furnishings were old. WiFi didn't work in our room, but was available in the breakfast room. The breakfast was the usual bacon and eggs with cereal as an alternative. Probably would not return if in the Bangor area again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I posted a review in May and for some reason it has not appeared. This guest house can only be described as dirty and shabby. The bed inen was of such poor quality I felt unable to stay there. I was in Bangor to visit my Father who was in Bagor Hospital. He was very ill and died a few days after I arrived. I needed accomodation where I could rest comfortably between hospital visits and this was not the place. On arrival I had no choice but to leave my luggage whilst at the hospital. I then found a very pleasant B & B with the assistance of the Registrar and a nurse and left Baytree as soon as I could. I ended up paying twice but it was worth it.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Jyväskylä
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

I stayed at the B&B for 4 nights with my boyfriend. First I have to say that we aren't too demanding - we don't need 5 star hotels so when reading my review, you'll know that it's from a shall I say average person and not from someone who complains about everything.

The first impression of the BB was that it is clean, cozy and just perfect for our purpose (we weren't on a holiday). However, after a while we noticed that the room&bathroom are really cold. There was a radiator but we couldn't turn it on so I'd think there was something like 17 degrees in the bedroom and maybe 14-15 in the bathroom. Really cold for what we've used to. SHould've said something about that, but for some reason we didn't. Secondly, we opened the tv as we wanted to relax a bit - only a few channels worked and at times the tv didn't work at all. Not a problem for someone who doesn't wanna watch it, of course :)

As we took another look in the bathroom, we noticed that some of the tiles were loose and in our last morning we noticed that the roof had started to leak a bit above the bath tub. May I just add that because of the temperature, taking a shower was not something you enjoyed.

When we went to bed, we noticed huge stains in our sheets. Apparently, they were not changed after the previous visitors had left. We thought that they had forgotten (they already had not vacuumed our room when we got to the hotel, we had to wait in the corridor for them to do it and it didn't take very long...) but the next night we noticed that the sheets were still the same - even though we had didn't put the bedcover on on purpose so that they would definately realise the mistake they had done. Once again, we didn't complain though we should've.

The breakfast was good if you took the full English breakfast. I didn't. I asked for toast, and I got 4 slices of toast with butter and nothing else. Though there were cereals in the dining room so I can't say that toast was my only option. The dining room was cold and had no windows. The tables were really close to each other so if it got crowded, it really got crowded.

The staff, however, was really nice and helpful. I had no problems with them.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

Stayed one night at the Baytree. For £30 per night per person including breakfast in the height of the holiday season it was very good value. Room was basic but fine, power shower excellent & bed was comfortable. Breakfast was excellent, quick and well prepared. Ample car parking and excellent location in Bangor. If you wanted to pay double the price in the area you certainly could but for a single night (or indeed several nights) why would you want to?

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Baytree Lodge? Share your experiences!