“We only had a cups of coffee!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Vegan, Vegetarian, Café
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Leeds, United Kingdom
“We only had a cups of coffee!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Best cup of coffee in Bangor, maybe the best cup of coffee in North Wales. We always stop at Kyffin on our way through Bangor :-) Sorry I cannot comment on the food. Perhaps one day we will have time for a meal!
Kyffin is on the one way system after most of the High Street shops. Parking sometimes available nearby but we have parked round the corner before now.
Very friendly :-)

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
jo p, Owner at Kyffin, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for making to effort to get in to town to come to Kyffin. We are delighted you love our coffee! Maybe next time we can persuade you to try our cakes if not a lunch.

Essex,UK
“A fascinating collection of South Asian tastes.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I went to Kyffin with my cousin and his wife. I had been sent sample menus of the supper club dinners over the last year but this was the first time I could actually attend. And it was a great first experience. The venue is charming and the Italian wine we chose was so good, we had to have another bottle. The food was heavenly - I particularly liked the wantons and the caramelised sweet potatoes- oh and the rice balls and in fact everything. The live music was great and the enthusiastic young waiters were delightful. A great evening!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
jo p, Owner at Kyffin, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you so much! We are thrilled to know that all our efforts were so appreciated. That was an epic menu for so many people to come out of our little kicthen with just a small domestic cooker. Added to which it was the first time we had cooked most of the dishes, so it felt like an act of faith to provide 6 course and so many sauces, dips and decorations. Hope to see you at another Supper Club before too long.
London, United Kingdom
“Thank you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Took my mum to this little cafe whilst visiting the area. Absolutely brilliant, the tea is perfect & (although I'm not normally partial to vegetarian cuisine) the food is incredible.

Service was really nice, with the help repeatedly charming us & making sure we were ok.

The price is fair and definitely merits what you get, which is high quality food, tea & cakes (OH MY GOD THE CAKES!!)

In summary, I'm looking forward to coming back to N-wales, to go to Kyffin (and see my mum of course).

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
jo p, Owner at Kyffin, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Stop it, you are making us blush!

Thank you so much, we hope to meet you again.
Bangor
“Great little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I've been to Kyffin a few times, usually for a quiet tea or coffee with friends and family. The atmosphere is generally pretty quiet but that is no bad thing (I've often seen customers with books/laptops there before). The staff are friendly and unobtrusive. The cafe itself has a nice feel to it; lots of wooden furniture and a good display of cakes/food on offer.

There is a wide selection of tea available and the cakes are just delicious. Off the top of my head I can recall a lavender drizzle cake served with creme fraiche (I think) which was delicious but almost refreshing. I can also recommend the jasmine and vanilla tea which was wonderful. The prices are not particularly cheap but I do feel that they reflect the quality of the goods offered.

As for the food, I haven't tried any but I was present when a family member did and I can say that there was a diverse range of salads served with the dish which looked really good.

To conclude, this place has a really different atmosphere to it's competitors and is ideal for a quiet drink and slice of tranquility.

• Visited March 2013
jo p, Owner at Kyffin, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you so much. Your review feels like being given a bouquet of flowers! We are not always quiet and on Saturdays we have a pianist playing our baby grand between 1 & 3pm. The music sits perfectly with afternoon tea. You'll love it.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Pretentious and overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

On first finding this café, it seemed delightful - lovely old interior with tasteful, atmospheric decor, if a little cramped. The choice of quality coffees looked very promising as well. However, it soon became apparent that even the finest quality coffee could be reduced to tasteless luke-warm dishwater by someone who hasn't a clue how to actually make coffee - what a waste of expensive beans!

As for the food, vegetarian cuisine can all too often be bland and uninspiring, but this place takes it to a whole new level - the German visitor we took with us still regularly asks us whether "that terrible café that sold lentil lasagne" is still in business! He seems incredulous when we tell him it is! The one positive aspect of the food is that portions are mercifully small, despite the price.
One of us skipped the main course, feeling that the cakes looked a better bet... but sadly no - again bland unpalatable stodge.

This place seems to see itself as a bohemian middle European koffeehaus, but in reality bears more resemblance to those unpleasant veggie cafés that sprung up briefly in the seventies, run by disillusioned hippies who had just discovered capitalism. We will not be returning!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
jo p, Owner at Kyffin, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is difficult to know how to respond to an expression of opinion such as this.

I am sorry you did not have a good experience of our cafe. Your opinion of vegetarians and vegetarian food seems to be very firmly fixed before you set foot over the threshold so I am baffled as to why you chose Kyffin for your lunch venue.

I do hope that you spoke with our staff about your coffee and food if you were not happy. Our barista (who graduated from the City & Guilds Barista course with a distinction) would happily have remade your coffee to suit your tastes, and we could have offered you alternative food had you asked. There are four food choices, though all vegetarian so perhaps none would appeal, and eight cake choices.

Food prices are displayed outside the cafe as well as on two boards inside.

I am sorry you are not returning, but I am sure one of the other 83 cafes in the City can cater for your tastes.