“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wales, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I recently stayed for one night at this lovely boutique hotel. I do think the seating outside needs to be updated a little as it is slightly tacky and old fashioned compared with the interior of the hotel. My room was at the back of the hotel but was slightly cheaper without a sea view. The seagulls did wake me up at about 3am and the noise was phenomenal. The room was quite hot but if I'd known there was air con, I'd have closed the window.
Unfortunately, we couldn't have an evening meal as it was fully booked, I do think hotel guests should have priority and should have this option. However, I really enjoyed breakfast.
One slight criticism would also be sound proofing from the rooms above, I could hear creaking foot floorboards with each foot step and toilet activities. I let this go over my head but if I'd been staying longer, it could have been a problem.
On the whole, this hotel is modern, chic, clean with very high standards. The above issues are pretty trivial in light of the fact that I would recommend this hotel to friends and family. But maybe the hotel can sort these trivial issues out to make it 5 star in my mind and not 4.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have eaten in very nice restaurants but this was something else. The food was of the highest standard, quality and taste, cooked to perfection. Choice and presentation were excellent and the desserts were to die for, delicious. All staff spoke fluent Welsh, great for a learner like myself, they were very friendly and helpful. A real treat. I certainly will visit again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Pwllheli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed for 1 night.The room was fairly small overlooking the kitchen yard which did not bother us at all.The bed was comfy and the shower was fantastic.We were glad to see 2 chairs in the room as many hotels do not do this.The bar prices were reasonable.We did not have an evening meal there but the breakfast was lovely-nice bacon sausage and egg-lovely mushrooms and nice thick toast.Recommended.

Lampeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Welcome was lovely, to our red room. Had everything you need in a room including air con and a lovely bathroom. Beautiful evening meal and breakfast. Didn't have the best night sleep - maybe because the pillows were a bit hard for my preferance. A real treat.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We went here for supper on the recommendation of the receptionist at the marine hotel and honestly were not expecting London standard meal in a small university town.
The decor is clean , smart and simple with an abundance of slate - only to be expected.
The girls waiting were friendly and knowledgeable and efficient.
Now to the food - husband had the 'on trend' scotch egg starter - which he photographed and sent to our daughter - a south west London scotch egg and food fanatic.... It was faultlessly executed , with the desired runny centre .
My lamb patties were a revelation ! Have never had anything so melt in the mouth...
Mains were pan fried cod and lived up to our now raised expectations.
Wine list was well thought out and reasonably priced.
We really felt we'd found a little welsh treasure!

• Stayed August 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed overnight on a 'business' trip. The staff were so lovely, the room was clean, comfortable, and very modern, and the restaurant food and breakfast was absolutely delicious. I don't think I have stayed in many better places across the UK. Top notch.

Room Tip: Definitely eat in the restaurant - it is a bit pricey but a great treat.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We went for a single night, Saturday-Sunday. Owner and all staff very pleasant and helpful.

We had pre-booked dinner. The 8pm sitting was fully booked, so we had to take the 6pm option (we knew this in advance, so had lunched early). Scallops were excellent - simply seared and allowed to speak for themselves - and crusted lamb rump equally delicious. We promptly reserved a table for Sunday lunch. Lucky we did, as when we returned then the restaurant was full except for our table. After their excellent breakfast we were only up for their pate and a salad at lunch, but both were exceedingly good.

We had a front room (no 6, 2nd floor) with sea view. It was a fair size - the bathroom had both bath and walk-in shower. You could lie in the bath and watch the world go by on the promenade outside. Full set of soap, shampoo, bathrobes and flip-flops provided, and plentiful large towels.

All in all, a delightful experience.

Note that Gwesty Cymru is a very easy walk from the railway station. We were very happy to have come by train rather than car. GC was helpful about accommodating our suitcases before check-in and after check-out.

Room Tip: Go on, pay a bit more for the sea view - it's worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gwesty Cymru? Share your experiences!