“Excellent location, value for money.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ty Belgrave House

You added Ty Belgrave House to your Saves list
Ty Belgrave House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Y Prom / Marine Terrace, Aberystwyth SY23 2AZ, Wales   |
Ranked #28 of 33 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Excellent location, value for money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stayed for one night with my wife and teenage son. We stayed during the extreme weather and our family room at the top of the hotel afforded us fabulous views of the tidal surge along the promenade. The room was clean and met our needs although it would present a challenge for anybody 6" plus due to low and slanted ceilings & would have been a little cramped for four.

The staff were friendly on arrival and advised fully regarding parking availability and safety due to the tidal surge.

The staff were very welcoming in the small dining room and the breakfast was of a good standard.

All in all, the hotel represented good value for money and I would stay again for a short break, one or two nights.

Room Tip: Do not book the top floor family bedroom if you are a very tall person
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed here for one night. We found a note on the closed reception with our keys in, and a note about breakfast times. We thought this fine, and then I found the answer phone messages from the owner explaining reception closed at 11am that day; we arrived around 6pm. The room was on the front with two windows, as we had wanted. The decor was nice, unfortunately the fire doors reminded us of Uni halls. The bathroom was very small, but clean a functional. Our heating did not come on, but we found we were the only people staying there. The breakfast was standard, with pleasant staff. The sea view over the pier and Constitution Hill was ideal.

Room Tip: pick a sea view! We were in room 1.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The room was OK but the ensuite shower room was tiny, cramped and frankly dirty.
We also had problems finding somewhere to park the car.
Breakfast was Ok but the cleanliness of the breakfast room left a lot to be desired.
We were glad we only stayed for one night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

So, as has happened to many guests here in the past, we didn't book here. We made a booking at the Four Seasons, which had been a great stay last time we came, (although apparently that had been the exception, not the rule).
We received a phone call on the day we were due to travel, saying that there was a problem with the room we had booked and that we had been "upgraded" to a sister hotel on the seafront.

Some upgrade! A sea view only makes up for so much. I travelled with one other person and we had booked together. Despite Rooms 2 and 3 being available at the time, and next to each other, we were given rooms 2 and 8. I got room 8 because it being on the third floor didn't bother me too much. The result of this? A room where I had to stoop to get through all of the doorways, and where I couldn't stand up straight in the shower. Now, I know that I'm a tall person- roughly 6'3"- but someone of more average height would have still felt cramped. The shower was weedy, and the large spotlight light bulb directly above my head didn't help. A desk and chair are provided, but due to the awkward shape of the room, they are almost unusable.

Add to that that the room was damp and cold. Immediately after getting out of the shower, I was getting cold due to the chill that filled the room. Damp was on one of the walls, and the radiator was barely worth the bother to change. Luckily, I was only there for one night.

I've given it two stars due to some positives. The breakfast was good, served by two women who were polite and helpful. The view would have been good had we not arrived in pitch-blackness. But these do not make up for a sub-par experience. Sort it out, Mr. Davies.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had originally booked into the 'sister' hotel, the four seasons. We had stayed there before and I booked again with confidence as the quality at the Four Seasons was what I expect and am happy to pay for. However I got a call the day we were due to arrive to say we had been 'upgraded' to the Ty Belgrave. When we arrived I felt strongly that the word 'upgrade' has a different meaning for the lady I spoke to. I had booked a twin room for my son and myself, and we were put into two rooms TWO FLOORS APART. There was no bath which we had wanted and the rooms were small and cramped, both were cold and smelled a little damp. The décor was very much below the standard of the Four Seasons room we had stayed in last time. To be fair when I rang the owner he did give me a small discount on the price I had paid, with a promise of a better room next time. But I wanted a bath then and a room at least NEAR my son, and not a maybe for the future. HOWEVER the breakfast was ace and served by two lovely ladies so that gave the rating one additional point for me - three rather than two. Beware of staying here when you didn't book here!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
North Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed at this B&B for one night, we booked the cheapest room at £85, the landlady called me the day before to ask if we mind moving room as the room we booked was for disabled access and she had a request for a disabled room of course I,ll move no problem we are not disabled !!! The room we where given was downstairs in what would of been the cellar, so no sea view in fact no view at all, small cramped room couldn't swing a cat in it, mouldy horrible bathroom in fact vile , next door to the dining room where they serve breakfast, woke up Sunday morning to the smell of cooking and clattering of dishes. My biggest gripe is how on earth anyone disabled was getting down those stairs to breakfast I,ll never know, so I reckon if your disabled you starve ! The breakfast was ok although served in a ridiculously small room for that many people. Had anyone been at the reception when we checked out I,d of had no problem telling them of my frustration , spoke to a delightful couple on the steps as we where leaving who had booked superior accommodation who said it was far from superior and felt totally ripped off !!!! We were,nt even offered any compensation for moving rooms and incidentally I think £85 is enough money to spend on one night in a B&B and that's why we booked the lower rate room , it wasn't worth half of that !!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on business in Aberystwyth. The staff I met with were very friendly and no issues with check-in/out. The bedroom was very small for the price and whilst the bathroom was huge but, for some bizarre reason, the main boiler for the hotel was located here and was incredibly noisy to the point where I just couldn't sleep. The shower also needs replacing as I had to hold it up with one hand whilst attempting to clean with the other!

This was by no means the wort place I've stayed in but for a reasonably hefty (comparable to other local B&Bs) price, you get a small room (without what I would describe as a proper sea view), a poor shower and a bad nights sleep. For those reasons I would not be able to recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Ty Belgrave House? Share your experiences!