“Stunning!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nanteos Mansion

You added Nanteos Mansion to your Saves list
Nanteos Mansion
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Rhydyfelin | Rhydyfelin, Aberystwyth SY23 4LU, Wales   |
Ranked #6 of 33 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Stunning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at the Nanteos Mansion for 2 nights during August and I must say we thoroughly enjoyed it.

What can I say…nothing but wow! The place itself is like stepping back in time but with a modern twist. The building and grounds have been restored beautifully and the bedrooms within represent different themes that have been finished to a very good standard.

The main rooms like the bar, restaurant and main reception (as well as others) have all been restored to their former glory with traditional décor and furniture giving the hotel a real authentic feel. The kitchen in which you have breakfast is nothing short of stunning with it’s giant copper cooking pots, its stone flooring and traditional cast iron cooker overlooked by ceiling high windows – truly a wonderful place to see and sit and enjoy breakfast.

Pros:

Staff – Not a single negative thing to say. They were faultless. Every whim was catered for, every request answered, very well mannered and very tentative. If I were management, I would be very proud of the team. By the far the best service I have experienced anywhere in Britain.

Room – We had the Dyfi Suite which was large in size, very comfortable with an amazing view out over the front of the property into the fields. Everything on hand, LCD TV, Tassimo coffee maker, local information, IPOD dock alarm clock, plenty of pillows etc etc. The bathroom consisted of a very large shower, bath tub, bathrobes, towels were plentiful and a very niche selection of toiletries and shower lotions. Decked out to a high standard, a very nice place to be indeed. I can honestly say that expense has not been spared both in the room and throughout the whole hotel.

Experience – As I have mentioned, staying here is like going back in time. The building, the interior, the grounds and the history all play a big a part in making your stay a special one. It truly is a wonderful place which made our short stay in Aberystwyth a very nice one. We will certainly be recommending it to our friends and family as a short break and would happily return ourselves.

Cons:

None – The hotel was spotless, the staff were fantastic, the building beautiful and our short stay was immensely enjoyable.

How the Nanteos Mansion has not won awards for it’s sheer beauty and elegance is very surprising. I can foresee a great future for this place, a very big well done and a big thank you again for our wonderful stay.

A very well earned 5 out of 5 from me!

Room Tip: Any room here I'm sure will meet your every expectation!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
south wales uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My partner and i stayed for 2 nights, the mansion it self is amazing , staff perfect and food to die for . As we arrived a butler provided us with an umbrella and helped us with our luggage.We stayed in the hafod room which is in the old bakery , the room was out of this world !! Had everything we needed We dined there first night , i had steak which was cooked perfect , my partner had lamb which he was very pleased with . The staff cant do enough for you and are all very pleasant. Its defanatly a place that we would consider getting married in ! its magical as well as gone back in time..... Was gutted no pool or spa available , but they have only been open 14wks and are working on it .. So looking forward to re visiting.
Only thing that didnt suit us was the memory foam mattress ......
Lisa& Jason

Room Tip: The hafod room and also the Japan room .
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Llanelli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The staff at Nanteos hosted us over the weekend of my daughter's wedding. It is difficult to find the words to describe the fantastic experience of being a guest at this wonderful hotel. Faultless organisation,beautiful views,wonderfully restored Grade 1 listed building,bedrooms and bathrooms that made you feel like a millionaire and excellent food.If that was not enough, the friendly and attentive staff deserve the utmost praise for making Sarah and Jason's wedding day an unforgettable occasion. Every single person we invited to the wedding has commented what a wonderful venue Nanteos is. We will be back whenever we get the opportunity.

Debra.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We, like many others received an invitations for half price afternoon tea when Nanteos reopened. Rang up to see what times they served, and discovered we had to book before hand to go, which is fair enough, so we did so for the next week.

Perhaps it was our dependance on our sat nav, but we ended up going down the back of the mansion down a very bumpy little lane. At the bottom we were confronted with a house to our left, and the mansion to our right which was locked off from us by a building guard. The lady who owned the house told us to park up and hop over the gate and walk round the front of the mansion, while the receptionist who we called to see if we could open the gate told us that at some point they would be using this entrance, but until then we had to drive all the way back and use the front entrance. Not a massive pain, but we were a little annoyed that despite the fact that on maps both roads look fine, a sign saying do not use this road if you're going to Nanteos would have been nice!

When we arrived we were shown into a small room on the left hand side, which can only be described as a collection of random furniture which someone seems to have picked at random. My boyfriend and I were placed on high sitting chairs in the corner, which I felt incredibly uncomfy in as I was essentially looking over everyone else in the room!

We sat for a while, and eventually ordered our afternoon tea for 2. I was so looking forward to finding a place where there is nice afternoon tea...

The tea itself was nothing special. The scones had been cut open and the clotted cream and jam just shoved into the first half of each one. The welsh cakes were cold and dry, there were sticky chocolate muffins, and also a small amount of finger sandwiches. To top it off, the tier tray used was incredibly wobbly. I might be wrong, but whenever I've had afternoon tea before there's usually too much to finish - especially when the price tag if £13.95 per person!

While waiting for the afternoon tea to arrive I noticed a large cobweb going from the window sill to the couch, where luckily I wasn't sat!

I have to say that the waiting staff/bar staff were very friendly - pity that the Receptionist on duty wasn't as friendly! When we went to pay at reception we spent a while wandering around the reception area as she was on the phone (fair enough) - for someone she knew to walk in and chat away to her for a good 5 minutes. In the end I pointed out that we just wanted to pay, and she told us we had to pay in the bar! The bar man was very friendly and learning how to use the till at the time.

The outside of the mansion will look amazing once it's finished, and hopefully the quality of food etc will improve. I have noticed that many people find their stays at the mansion excellent - perhaps they should try and afternoon tea! I have however also heard disappointing reviews from locals.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark R, General Manager at Nanteos Mansion, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Treacle17,

It bemuses me as to why you should post such a review two months after the actual time of your visit, not only that but to decree 'Do not go for Tea'. As you may be aware, and certainly others who have viewed our previous posts, we ran a promotion on afternoon tea for the month of May to celebrate the opening of this historic mansion. During May we served over 1800 afternoon teas, and since then have welcomed back many of these visitors to enjoy another tea with us, paying full price for that tea, and also going onto book lunches, dinners and accommodation.

I fully admit during May that we were caught out by the response of the promotion, and it took time for a new team of staff to adjust to providing the truly excellent experience that we endeavour to offer all our guests. The property only opened on May 2nd, and, with all the will in world to make it perfect on day one, there was a learning curve that the team went through, I am sorry that you were disappointed in your experience, and had you brought this to our attention at the time would have immediately put it right.

The lounge furniture was temporary, as the correct furniture had not been delivered by our opening date, the outside of the finish had been delayed due to the atrocious wether we had been experiencing, both food and service have been reviewed and tweaked where necessary to ensure that the guest experience is of the highest order. All of which you would expect from a business that has just opened and adjusting itself to ensure that the customers expectations are met.

One of the pitfalls of trip advisor is that there is no way of me being able to check as to wether you have corresponded with me directly, had you done so I am sure we would have been able to tempt you back to see how the Mansion had evolved from its early days, which is why it deserves the overwhelmingly positive reviews it receives from its many visitors.

If you would like to correspond with me directly I will see what can be done to restore your faith in the Mansion, and join the ever going band of regular clients.
Kind Regards
Mark Rawlings-Lloyd
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We just had the afternoon tea here as we live locally and wanted to see what they had been up to as well as have a treat. The afternoon tea is absolutely fabulous . Not too formal with a good choice of teas (or champagne) delicate sand wiches and scones and cream to die for.
We then asked for the guided tour with the manager (our friends wanted to know if they could land a helicopter there.....they can). The rooms are beautifully designed and set out with some teuly original touches. This is an old house so each room is unique, but whoever did the interior design deserves a medal as it complements and uses the character of the house perfectly. The Billiard room and music room as large spaces are absolutely lovely with a lot of effoert having gone into restoring they're original grandeur without overdoing it.
I am so pleased to see someone doing a proper job of getting this place up and running without compromise.
Long may it continue.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My son held his wedding here on Saturday and we've had nothing but fantastic comments about the day. Nanteos did us proud. It will certainly be an occasion of wonderful memories. Everything about the place was first class.

As our car pulled up in front of the hotel we were greeted by the porter/concierge and directed where to park. He helped us with our luggage, carrying it up the grand stairway to our suite. We had one of the 2 honeymoon suites but since we had exclusive use of the hotel and grounds for the wedding, i took the opportunity of looking at the other suites and they were amazing. My son and his new wife had the 'Nightingale suite' and it was out of this world. The bedroom was huge, light, airy and tastefully decorated and the bathroom was the biggest bathroom I've ever seen.

The staff were very professional and friendly and the whole place cried out 'class'. It definitely had more of a stately home feel than an hotel.

As for the wedding breakfast, it was tip top. Beautiful food, served piping hot and with professionalism.

I cannot praise this place enough. It you're looking for a stunning venue with a beautiful countryfied backdrop, then look no further.

Thank you Nanteos for making our son's day such a special one.

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw were perfect but the Nightingale honeymoon suite was my favourite
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Montgomery, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

A beautiful hotel in a beautiful location made our honeymoon everything we wanted it to be. We wanted to stay in a hotel where once we arrived we felt we could totally relax and have everything we needed. The staff at Nanteos Mansion accommodated all our needs to a very high standard including the food which was just superb. I informed them I was a vegetarian and had one of the best dining experiences ever where the chef made one of the best country pies I have ever tasted. Our room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable.
Excellent walking is possible directly from the hotel with a nature reserve a short stroll away.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nanteos Mansion? Share your experiences!