“Good for the money, comfy bed” 4 of 5 stars

Harry's Hotel
40-46 North Parade, Aberystwyth SY23 2NF, Wales   |
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Aberystwyth
Staffordshire, UK
“Good for the money, comfy bed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

For what we paid I thought we got really good value. Very spacious double room which had been fairly recently decorated to maintain original features. A very very comfortable bed - better than ours at home, I wish I could have brought it back with me! Free parking at the rear of the building, centrally located. We didn't personally experience any issues with noise from outside but I can imagine you might.
Good breakfast, plenty of it and I thought really tasty.
No, it's not a posh hotel, and no it's not posh hotel money. You can spend more in town, and you can get definitely get better - but it works for me.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Delph, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Nice big light and airy room but rather warm. This highlighted the main problem which was that the sash window didn't work. I had to prop the window open with a chair to get some air. Comfortable bed and a good night's sleep. Not noisy but I visited right at the end of term so few students about. Good value for money - I had booked as the cheapest available for a one night stay and was pleased with my decision. Very good scrambled eggs at breakfast. Same problem as on my last stay at a different Aberystwyth hotel - The BBC didn't work on the TV. Luckily the footie on ITV. My biggest grumble is that I left my charger and rang the same day to ask about it. Never got a phone call back.

Room Tip: Think about if you want to be on a Main Street at the front and stairs no lift
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Complaints about seagulls??.......ummm......you're at the coast and I'm pretty sure the hotel has no say the seagulls do!

Anyway, we spent 2 lovely nights in the deluxe room on the first floor and it was perfect. The room was clean, spacious, pleasantly decorated with everything you'd expect and need. There was a large comfortable bed which we slept fantastic in. The bathroom was modern and clean. The towels and linen immaculate. The breakfast was really good and the staff were friendly and willing to accommodate our every need. I had a meal of roast beef ciabatta with rocket and horse radish sauce with chips and salad with balsamic dressing for less than 6 quid. Delicious and a Bargain. The room was a touch warm and you couldn't really leave the window open overnight whilst you slept because of the traffic/drunken student noise but to be honest this didn't overly effect us because we were out late anyway. If you can't beat them join them!! This problem could probably be avoided by perhaps requesting a fan for the room.Overall a fantastic stay and we will definitely be visiting again. Thanks very much Harry's :-)

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

If you want the Ritz then go somewhere else. If you want a hotel with a welcoming approach, value for money, clean and great breakfast then book this hotel. Yes there is some noise but this is a busy pub on a main road so what do you expect !
The rooms we had were clean and well equipped although a little difficult to find. The floors do slope slightly but we found this amusing and quite quirky.
The breakfast is big and of a good standard. The service at breakfast was very good with the lady serving us being very chatty and friendly. Nothing was a trouble to her and I hope if she has a boss they read this. Having a son at uni in Aber means we will be back in Sept and i hope to stay there again. thank you very much.

• Stayed June 2014
Toulouse, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

A business trip brought me to Harry's. I booked two single rooms for myself and a colleague. My first surprise was that upon arrival we only had one room. Thankfully this was sorted out and we were given one single and one double. The story could have ended there if the staff had been more competent. However, the next day when returning to my room, I couldn't open the door. To cut a stupid story short, my things had been removed to another room without my prior permission and my door card had been activated. In the process, a young manager rudely informed me that it was all my fault. I wouldn't have minded, but I had remained polite and patient throughout.
Beyond this, the rooms were ok, but nothing special. In. The second room (19, top floor) the window was plastered with seagull and pigeon droppings. One important thing to note is that the so-called car park is a very tight back alley that can just about accomodate 6 or 7 cars. Manouvering is tough and spaces are limited so you need to be lucky. Also, the cars get dive-bombed by seagulls, so after one night you might find your car in a hell of a mess.

Room Tip: Avoid room 19 in order to be spared the view and the noise of birds (or something) pattering on the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Ilfracombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed at Harry's hotel for one night only. First impressions were not good. Check in was simple even though we arrived really late. The bar staff checked us in. However the building is a conversion of several terraced buildings. This meant that the rooms are spread over a rabbit warren of corridors and stair cases. Not suitable for the old or infirm. We actually got lost trying to find our way back to reception. The room was Quite basic and looked a little worn. The double bed was a twin made up as a double. However there was everything you need. TV (only welsh free view) Tea, coffee even biscuits. The bathroom made up for the basic room. It was clean modern and well decorated. The breakfast was very nice. Large choice of cereals, fruit juices and a full English. Breakfast menu was very good with a vegetarian option. Have o mention Becky in the bistro, very helpful and bubbly character first thing in the morning. Slight confusion over our order was sorted in minutes. She even drew us a map of how to get to Borth. Over all a very pleasant stay. I would stay again. Tip though don't try the rear car park if you have a large vehicle or car. It's very tight. Plenty of parking out front but with 1 hour limit 8am-6pm.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front on the first floor looked really nice when we walked passed them being cleane...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last year whilst visiting friends ... The room was small and had a damp smell to it, it seemed like it had had it's time maybe 10-15 years ago... Very noisy from the Main Street outside and the bar downstairs was like a club 18-30's holiday type experience not what we had in mind at all... I would never stay here again.. Didn't try the food as was concerned it was as bad as the rest of the place... Don't be fooled by the nice pictures on the web sites...find somewhere else next time we certainly will... !!!! Don't stay here !!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Aberystwyth hotels

Been to Harry's Hotel? Share your experiences!