“An average experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 31 Aberystwyth B&B and Inns
Teddington, United Kingdom
“An average experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

In comparison to other guest houses I've stayed in, it's probably the one with the least facilities. It's the first time I've had a room without a TV and the first place I've stayed that didn't offer a cooked breakfast. It only had a single bathroom shared amongst all of the guests.

Other reviews I've read present this as one of the best guest houses in Aberystwyth but having stayed at a couple of others (whose names escape me at present), I'm inclined to disagree. It's a quiet location which goes in its favour but there are better, and cheaper, guest rooms in the town.

The girl left in charge at breakfast did not speak English and didn't seem to understand that I wanted to check out. Fortunately, payment had been made in advance so that avoided any awkward situations. Not her fault, of course, but I was surprised the owners left someone like that in charge and I suspect that was the reason a cooked breakfast was not served.

The bed was a little uncomfortable and sagged in the middle meaning that my partner and I often rolled into one another during the night.

All in all, it wasn't a terrible place but it wasn't a great place. I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying here but I would advise looking elsewhere first. Sorry.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
bristol uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed for 1 night in the family room. (2 adults and a 12 year old) Breakfast was fine with juice,tea or coffee, cereal,toast and jam. It was enough. Very close to the marina, castle,shops and beach. It was our first visit to Aberystwyth and we all thought it was a lovely town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hadleigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Fantastic location near to the town, castle and beach. The rooms were clean. However my bed was extremely uncomfortable with springs sticking into my back. Luckily I found a blanket and folded it into 4 which helped. There is only 1 bathroom between all of the bedrooms, I was in room 9, but there is1 extra toilet! At breakfast we were never offered scrambled eggs on either day, which would have been nice. When you find the staff they are very helpful and polite.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I arrived a little early without thinking and the house was still being cleaned, however I wasn't turned away and was welcomed in straight away - this was just poor timing on my part. The owners were really pleasant and my room, if a little small, was very nice. I got my own cafétiere in the room which is a nice touch! I had breakfast in the morning which is included in the already very good price. It's not full english or anything, but you get a bowl of cereal, followed by 2 mini croissants with butter and jam, followed by scrambled egg on toast. This was plenty and I was full afterwards, as well as it being very tasty. The house was clean and tidy, and I enjoyed a good night's sleep there. Don't go there expecting the ritz.. if you're expecting luxury then pay luxury prices. In my opinion, however, it's all you need and is very pleasant, especially at such good value. Would go again, and strongly recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I found this residence incredibly good value for money at just £33 a night, which was considerably cheaper than any other residence I had looked at, and I wasn't expecting the level of quality and service which I received.

The owners were very helpful and kind, and I didn't feel intimidated or unwelcome. The room was the perfect size for me, had a very comfy bed and was clean. The bathroom was a great size and was also pretty clean.

The location of this house is great, as it is very close to the town centre with lots of lovely restaurants close by which would suit everybody's tastes. It is also really close to the coast and the castle, so you can watch the sunset or take a pretty stroll before going to bed. I felt well catered for at breakfast and there was a decent choice of food and drink.

Overall, I had an excellent stay and would recommend this residence to everyone who wants a good value stay in the beautiful Aberystwyth.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Dolgellau, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

My partner and I stayed here on New Years eve in a double rooom.

Immediatly after arriving we were asked to pay in cash as the card machine was broken which we doubt even existed. Therefore we trusted that we would have a pleasant stay and have no problems.

The conditions in the room were terrible. The window had such a draft that the blinds were moving constantly, the walls hadnt even been painted properly, and there was a horrible smell
throughout the house. The shared toilet was revolting, and there was mould in the shared shower.

After arriving back at the B&B at the end of the night, we hardly slept at all, this was due to the noise and a cold draft coming through the window.

To make matters worse, about 4am the girls from the room next door came in with 2 or more guests who hadnt paid for the room. The noise they made was rediculous.
They were walking along the corridors and talking until very early hours of the morning.
After a terrible nights sleep, we went down stairs at 8am to talk to julian.

He explained that he heard the noise in the night aswell, and when the taxi brought the girls back, he told them there was only supposed to be two paying guests. Why nothing more was done about this, ill never know.

After going back to bed to try and get a little bit more sleep, the party next door were awake, and started laughing and walking around again. After packing our belongings, my partner then went to speak to julian before we left, and suggested that the girls next door should be charged for our room in order for us to get a refund, as they had unpaying guests to which he knew about before they went to bed.
He refused to do this, and was very reluctant to help and suggested we speak to booking.com.
We found him very rude and unhelpful.

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend anyone stay here, unless you really are looking for somewhere to stay for che...