As others have said, this place is vile. There were massive cracks in the ceiling of our room & water leaking through them. We had no need to set an alarm, as the water coming through the ceiling from people showering upstairs woke us up! Let me stress - this water was dirty, from the shower drain. There was massive water damage on all the walls and the ceiling, as well as mould. The mould was so bad that it was affecting my normally well controlled asthma.
One of the leaks was directly over an open and exposed electrical socket. The socket casing was actually hanging off, exposing the wires inside. Electricity for the room was instead supplied by a network of dodgy looking extension leads spread across the floor. Equipment was limited to one small kettle (dirty) and one small TV.
Door frames were not complete, and the extractor fan in the bathroom did not come on automatically (or at all) as required by law. There were also holes in the floor, ceiling, and under the shower where they hadn't fitted the pipes properly. This was the source of drafts in the room - at least I hope that it was the drafts moving the cobwebs in these holes.
Clearly they'd not vacuumed the place in quite some time (despite them having been in the room whilst we were out). There was NO maid service at all, and we entered the room to find the last occupant's teabags etc still in the bin. The bin was not emptied during the whole 5 days of our stay. The only staff contribution (other than taking money on the first night) was a cheap roll of toilet paper, supplied just before we ran out.
It was so bad that we called Ceredigion Council's Environmental Health department. They came within an hour & declared the room unsafe. The owner was nowhere to be seen (as he had been since we'd arrived, so we couldn't complain to him). Whilst the gentleman from Environmental Health was there, I showed him around other areas that the owners had left open. There was another shower that was mouldy, and the ceiling in the vestibule between the hall & the kitchen was a rather revolting orange colour, and there were piles of dust around the kitchen (I found one that was actually an inch thick). There were massive cracks in the kitchen ceiling, and plaster hanging off. It was also discoloured and dirty. There was a huge crack in the wall above the back door & there were cracked windows in the front & back.
The whole place reeked of cigarettes, despite there being a sign saying that it was a smoke free zone. What saddens me is that this used to be a beautifully maintained place (I used to know the previous owners). There is something distinctly dodgy about how it's being run - even in small ways like a lack of a hygiene certificate. As soon as I threatened to sue them, a completely different man came to apologise & claim that they thought that work had been completed when it hadn't. In fact, comparing my pictures & the ones from a poster in 2009, it's quite clear that they've known about the problem for a long time, but have done nothing.
I'd advise against going there unless you fancy risking your health.
- Also Known As:
- Savannah Guest House Aberystwyth, Wales