“Nice hotel, pity about the parrot” 4 of 5 stars

Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel
Smite, Worcester WR3 8SY, England   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Worcester
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, pity about the parrot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed in room 225 which we found large and comfortable. The noise from the M5 with the window open was not intrusive, just a hum. The bathroom was well equipped and spotlessly clean. Yes, the bed base was frayed but it was still a nice room. Reception and bar/dining staff were extremely helpful and friendly and the food was plentiful and tasty.

Only downside was the parrot. If, like my husband, one has ever had psittacosis seeing a parrot in a bar is a living nightmare and I really did not like to hear its screeching and high pitched rambling during my meal.

We would definitely return again when in the area but not with the parrot.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael P, General Manager at Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your posting on Tripadvisor and for choosing to stay at The Pear Tree Hotel.
I appreciate your comments regarding your room.
Unfortunately, the parrot has been here for a decade and she is part of The Pear Tree. As you can read on here she does get some very good comments and removing her would affect our originality.
Michael Pique

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Codicote, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We booked 3 rooms here, on arrival was told our room has been upgraded to executive suite which was stunning. Staff lovely and value for money outstanding. Beautiful well kept grounds.would def recommend. Didn't eat here so can't comment on the food. Check out time is midday which was nice, did not have breakfast here either but next time we stay would like to try. Overall thought the hotel was fantastic, bar lovely and room service swift. Many thanks

• Stayed June 2014
Michael P, General Manager at Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor and for your rating.
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

A lovely building in a lovely location. There is so much potential here. A large bedroom including a table and two chairs with the bonus of a view towards the Malvern Hills. Facilities in the room were good - plenty of plugs, wifi, tea & coffee making. In its day it would have been quite a grand room but is now looking tired. Bed frayed along the bottom edge and stains on the valance.
We had a meal in the restaurant with family in the evening which was very good, indeed. The gentleman serving behind the bar also looked after us in the restaurant. He worked very hard and was extremely pleasant. However, there seemed very few staff around throughout our short time there. Breakfast was reasonable with quite a good range. There was no evidence that the hotel catered for alternatives - fried egg was available but not sure whether scrambled egg was a possibility as there was, again, a lack of staff around to ask. No real service at the table and it was up to us to find someone to ask for a coffee refill or an extra knife. The only waitress was often not around and when she was she was OCD on table setting. She never checked whether we were alright or needed anything.
The room was not cheap and we are not convinced that we had value for the money.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your posting on Tripadvisor and for your comments which I have passed on to the Team.
I am disappointed to read that you felt you didn't get 'Value for money 'and therefore would like to invite you back on a very special rate.
Please contact us to rearrange.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed here when in the area for business, I booked over the internet not really knowing the area and was pleased with the cost considering the size of the room (it was large).
Just before I left for my trip, I looked here on Trip-advisor and there were some negative comments about the tired decor and noise from the motorway (those comments seem to have gone), I feared I might have made a mistake, how wrong could I be!
I'm guessing it is down to perception of the individual and their experiences, I stay in hotels on average 3 nights a week with work across the UK, yes the furniture is not modern but that's what you get in a 'Country Hotel' and if travellers want ultra modern they need to locate a newer boutique or Johanssen's hotel and pay the prices! The furniture is more than adequate, in a good state of repair and suits the rest of the decor. The rooms and communal areas are all very clean.
There was some noise from the M5, but this was confined to a 'low hum' in the background, I sleep with the windows open and it did not disturb me during either of the 2 nights of my stay, for those who are lighter sleepers you can close the windows as the rooms have air-con.

The food I found really quite good and cooked fresh to order, which is probably why another guest here had to wait some time, but for me it was fresh food, cooked well and served with a smile and helpful comments too - the staff could not be faulted as far as I was concerned for the service they offered! I discovered 'Butty-Bach' ale on the bar, far too nice and not available in my local (yet).

As for 'guest noise' I too had to bear a couple of blokes coming back in late at night and talking loudly on the car-park, then through the hotel corridor and finally banging their room doors as they wished one another good-night, but the hotel can not be held responsible for the inconsiderate behaviour of a few guests can they.

Overall a great stay and I am very likely to return - thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Michael P, General Manager at Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write on here.
It is very refreshing to read such constructive comments and I hope other readers will find it helpful.
Christchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We chose this hotel for a mid journey overnight stay. We had problems finding it due to local road closure. Room was comfortable, clean and staff were pleasant and helpful. We decided to eat in the restaurant on Saturday evening, the service was so slow, it took nearly an hour from ordering food to being served.- we gave up on ordering a dessert. Then we were kept awake till the early hours by other guests arguing outside our window. A call to reception at 12.30 am eventually resulted in some silence. No apology was offered by reception staff in the morning. Can't say we noticed noise from motorway but would certainly think carefully before returning.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor.
My sincere apologise for not meeting your expectation especially for the slow service.
As you probably noticed, we were very busy on that evening and everything is freshly cooked.
I am glad to read that we manage to stop the noise from outside guests and sorry for not receiving any apologies in the morning (different staff on shift and the one you spoke to thought you were happy with the outcome).
The road closure was out of our control unfortunately.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed here as I had meetings Saturday morning in Worcester. The service was good, the food very good and food price also very good. The bar area is pleasant and breakfast room very nice. there must have been a wedding booked for Saturday as the banqueting room was decorated and looked very nice. Where the hotel lets itself down is the slightly tired decor. My room was very dark. Also on Saturdays breakfast was not served until 8am which is a little late, I dont think it unreasonable to serve breakfast from at least 7.30am at weekends. If you want breakfast earlier than 8am at weekends, I believe you have to order a continental.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for posting on Tripadvisor and for your feedback.
Unfortunately the demand for an early Breakfast on weekends is rare and that is the reason why we open, like most other hotels, at 8 am. However I am sure if you requested a full Breakfast at 8 am, our Chefs would have been more than happy to cook it for you as they start at 7 am. Please let me know if otherwise.
wilmslow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I have usually come here for a meeting (using the meeting room facilities) and lunch, it's a good convenient location on the m5 . Today I stayed here for the night and it was very pleasant and good value. Yes some of the comments about needing a bit of an update are true but this should not detract from what is a nice hotel run/managed by very polite staff. The restaurant food is exceptional! I had scallops for starters and a delightfully cooked steak for main course. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The staff are so nice it would be hard not to enjoy staying here.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write on here and for your nice feedback.
Michael Pique

Been to Pear Tree Inn and Country Hotel? Share your experiences!