“A fairly pleasant stay....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barbourne Guest House

Barbourne Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Worcester
Barbourne Guest House
You added Barbourne Guest House to your Saves list
42 Barbourne Road, Worcester WR1 1HU, England   |
Ranked #26 of 32 Worcester B&B and Inns
Shanklin, United Kingdom
“A fairly pleasant stay....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I checked in here early September 2012. I'm formerly a Worcester chap so I knew the area fairly well. The Barbourne is situated on a main road but adequate soundproofing keeps the noise to a minimum. It's far enough out of town to be away from the 'crowds' but a short, 20 min walk puts you in the heart of the city.
On arrival, I was shown to my en-suite room which was clean, well presented with nice furniture in good order. The TV is very modern and has Freeview, in-built DVD player (which incidentally reads .avi, divx, mp3 etc - a great bonus!) Personally, I found the bed a little uncomfortable but it was in good condition. Although it was a good quality bed, I'm used to my memory foam mattress at home so I guess the only answer is to carry a mattress topper if you sleep as badly as me. The guest house definitely not at fault here. Free wifi was available (just ask for the password). I was told that most could only get it if sat in dining room but I had no trouble getting good signal in my room.
Buffet breakfast was nothing short of feast with a plentiful supply of sausage, bacon, scrambled egg (maybe?), tomatoes, baked beans, mushrooms, toast and a gallon of tea! Also cereal, juices and fresh fruit. The scrambled egg gets a 'maybe' because I'm sure it wasn't made every morning with fresh eggs, more like bought-in milk/egg mixture. I helped myself to a few 'slices' of scrambled egg one morning and declined the other three mornings. Fried eggs were offered as a substitute.
As it is busy working guest house, I did find I was awoken most mornings at around 7am by the noise of clanking plates, chatting etc from the kitchen below me but as I was getting up early anyway, I just thought of it as an extra alarm clock. Generally, noise kept to a minimum as Mrs Gilchrist would not tolerate noisy guests - quite right too!
Parking (as advertised on website) - There is plentiful on-street (side street) parking with time restrictions. After 6pm until 8am is no problem. After 8am, you get 45 minutes so that should be enough to have breakfast and get out and about without getting a ticket. There is also secure parking at the rear of the guest house which has a huge electronic shutter (open all day, closed at night) operated by Mrs Gilchrist. I thought that only a few cars could get in and out comfortably so if you need constant access with late night returns, then on-street parking is best bet for you.
All staff were very pleasant and helpful. Local amenities are plentiful - convenience stores, takeaways (lots of curry houses within 15 min walk!), pubs, cafe. Most things you'll need in a hurry.
I had two keys - one for my room and one for main door. Simple enough. I was allowed to come and go as I please with no stupid outdated rules of getting in before midnight. I did notice that many of the leaflets one sees at this type of establishment (What's On, Maps, Guides etc) were out of date. I found a leaflet advertising a music event.....from 2009. Maybe they could give this a bit of a sort out.

Generally, anyone staying here should be happy although one thing that marred my visit was the bill. Although it was quickly rectified, I was charged a different price to that on their own website which quickly lead to the conclusion that the website is out of date. My advice is to clarify the price before your stay.

Worcester is steeped in history and the Barbourne Guest House would make a reasonably economical base from which to see it all. Happy holidays!

Room Tip: Room 2 is above the kitchen but away from the main road!