“Disappointingly average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Worcester
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Disappointingly average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Great value and excellent location. Our morning lie-in was disturbed by a faulty fire alarm, which kept going off. Why didn't someone disable it? And would it not have been reassuring if they had rung each room to tell the residents that it was only a fault with the system? Other little niggles include being unable (as residents) to order a drink before the bar opened at 11.00. An inability to source my newspaper (nothing obscure) but the "I". The suppliers claimed never to have heard of it! I love Old English Inns - this isn't one of the best.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am very sorry for fire alarm that was going off it is an unusual occurrence but a very inconvenient one. We are unable to disable our alarm system and had to wait for an engineer to arrive which took longer than expected I sincerely apologise for the disruption caused to all our guests. Sadly due to licensing laws we are unable to serve anyone alcohol before 11am and we are currently looking at changing our newspaper supplier so that all guests can receive their preferred newspapers. Thank-you once again for your review

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Sadly the walls are paper thin and the couple giggling in the next room at 0430 were not ideal. The bathroom could do with a little updating but the room was generally ok. Far too noisy all around though for a good night's sleep.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank-you for taking the time to leave your comments. Sadly due to our prime location right in the heart of Worcester city centre there is some noise disturbance that is beyond our control. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I arrived to find a decent enough room - though. The receptionist was muddled about my booking but we got through it! The worst part was the food. I could not believe how bad it was. Dry bread (verging on stale), microwaved tasteless food and limp salad. I sent it back and my two other choices were "not available" I therefore ordered a sandwich which was unceremoniously plonked on my table. I've never sent back food before and it put me off eating the sandwich as I was so perturbed by the poor attitude. I'd not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your feedback from your recent vist to the Ye Olde Talbot Hotel
I can only apologise for the issues you had when staying here, as they are not the normal high standards we aim to provide
I have sat down with the head chef and duty manager to go through your feedback and to fix what went wrong so no one will experience what you did
I have also spoken to the member of staff who served you and retrained them on giving excellent service.
Again from me and my team we can only apologise for the bad experience you had.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

From all of you who have read other of my reviews i am a big fan of the Old English Inns, this one is centrally located in Worcester by the Cathederal with ready access to the city and all its ammenities., The beer wine and food were all good and we sampled a varietry of dishes both in the evening and for breakfast . ( only my Caledonian father stuck to porridge, which he did not like as it had not got enough salt for his taste; but as some advisors show there is no pleasing some people).

However our room and the hotel in General needed a little better managment. The room we had had a long corridor to enter it in whioch only 1 light bulb worked. The same was true of the body of the room which had faulty light fittings. On arrival the radiators were turned off and it was a cold damp autumnal day. Staff at breakfast seemed to be getting in each others way. Sometimes clearing up the bar from the night before and sometimes serving breakfast.

But on the whole an enjoyable stay and a great base to see Worcester, the malverns and the Severn valley

Room Tip: Central city location Ideal for visitors to the wider Worcester area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you for your recent feedback about the Ye Olde Talbot hotel
We thank you for your positive comments about the hotel and the food and drink
I can only apologise about the lack of lighting you had I can ensure you this has been fixed and I will ensure that nothing like this happens again.
I will retrain my breakfast staff to concentrate on breakfast guests but we also get people who come in for coffee in the morning so they do have to ensure the bar is set up and ready to go quite early
again thank you for you feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Ye Olde Talbot is very centrally located in Worcester, a 2 minute walk from the Cathedral. Rooms are what you expect from an old Inn. Not huge, no big Luxury but has all you need for a few nights. Rooms have coffee/tea maker, flat screen TV and free Wireless. For breakfast you have a choice of 8 or so different hot meals. and a few cold bits. Quality of breakfast is very good. Can't judge the quality of food served in the pub. Nice selection of bitters and very nice staff. Would go back there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank-you for your recent review we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay I will pass your comments onto all the team who will be pleased to hear your thoughts

We hope to see you again in the near future
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just stayed at Ye Olde Talbot this Saturday for 1 night to enjoy an evening in Worcester.Arrived at the hotel and had a quick drink in the bar before checking in.The bar was lively and we were informed that there was a 45 min wait for food.This was good as many places take your order then tell you there is a long wait,so we were able to just have a quick drink,check in and head into town.Our room was excellent;clean, warm and interesting with lots of character,including a four poster bed.The view into Friar Street added to the period charm,and the location close to the bars,restaurants and shops is great.The breakfast menue was varied and offered lots of choice,much better than the standard Full English only.We found the staff friendly and attentative and would deffinately reccomend a stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank-you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your comments on to all the team who will be happy to hear them. We hope to see you again soon
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The danger with reading reviews is that the reviewer can well have a hidden agenda. Their comments can be influenced by many things other than the quality of their experience. Others have champagne tastes, but beer money - expecting 5 star quality at a fraction of the cost.
We needed a room for the night, following our son's graduation. We booked, on his recommendation - which was purely based on the popularity of the hotel locally and it's central location. A few days before arrival, I checked the reviews and wondered if we'd made the right choice............
However, we were genuinely pleased with the accommodation and the food. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, noise wasn't an issue and the breakfast splendid. The hotel met all our requirements at a reasonable price - what more could you ask for?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Ye Olde Talbot, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback for the Ye Olde Talbot hotel.

All the staff work hard to provide Great service for our guests and it is good that people recognise this and we thank you for your positive feedback I will pass this down to my team.
We strive to continue this high level of service and it is good that people write about the positive aspects as well as the negative ones.

Thank you again from all the team from the Ye Olde Talbot and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Been to Ye Olde Talbot? Share your experiences!