“Fawlty Fownes Towers” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 hotels in Worcester
Manchester
“Fawlty Fownes Towers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

Old glove factory and the building itself looks fantastic in brochures & the exterior but once inside it's a different matter.
Spacious reception area but unclean,the tiled flooring carrying huge cracks and the windows dirty. Adequate sized bedrooms buy tired with 80's furniture, torn net curtains and dirty bathrooms. The management team conisisted of a rather slack duo - the fat foreigner and his little old 'partner' who ran around like demented chickens at a ball. I was beginning to wonder if we came to Fawlty Towers. We were not surprised to see a group of travellers who were attending a wedding in one of the function rooms and urinating on cars in the car park outside.
I made my reservation with Sandra a foreign woman who spoke little english. She charged me full rack rate for a pokey double room with carpets coming away from the wall, creaky floor boards and not enough room to swing a cat in. We were served in the bar with dirty glasses by a barman who didn't know what he was doing. Was not good enough.
Not good value for money, the premier inn would be better.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

338 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

Stayed here for two nights. The decor is tired and dated, surprising as this hotel advertises £150pn for a double room. My room was ok sized, but the TV was appauling, the bathroom was grotty and my room was dark. I also made the mistake of ordering room service, the food was uninspired and bland. I had to venture out the next night as I couldn't face it again. Breakfast was a selection of dried out bacon and sausages.

The location is good though if you want to visit Worcester city centre, just across the road, and the staff were friendly, so not all bad.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

The weekend was planned as a Birthday Treat - an ideal opportunity for the whole family to enjoy together. This was an ideal time to assess a hotel in time for a Christmas break and shopping spree. The hotel is a beautiful building (in a very poor state of repair) in a perfect location for the city centre. Unfortunately, the hotel does not match up to the hotel's website or brochure!! First impressions on arrival - several tiles are broken on the hall floor and there was a 'strange' odour that greeted us. No-one appears to be in overall charge of the hotel - many young eastern european workers. The walls and carpets in the bedrooms are quite badly marked and stained with moth eaten curtains. This hotel requires a complete overhaul - it could be outstanding with the right owner!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Somerset, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

This could be a great hotel - if I had the money I might buy it. It has a fantastic location just a few steps from the centre of Worcester. It is a beautiful and interesting building; being an old Victorian glove factory. And it has nice outside areas with lots of potential. All it needs is a major refurbishment.

Having said that we had a nice two-day stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful (if a little under-trained) and the excellent location helped too. The food is just about adequate.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ludlow Shropshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

We have stayed in this hotel before because of its convenience to the centre of Worcester. We had an executive room, which was not worth the money we spent on it. We were there for eight nights so we expected our sheets to be changed at least once during that time. It would have been nice to have had our bedside tables dusted too. The curtains were torn and it was very hot, even with both windows open. We had asked for a quiet room and were put on the top floor. There was no lift up there and we had to carry our luggage up 40 stairs. On the first two nights we were disturbed by a disco until 12.30 am. and on the third night there was a fire across the canal at 1.20am! This was not quiet! We were there to work and needed our sleep. The place is in need of refubishment. Nothing noticeable seems to have been done since we were there last year.

On a positive note, the breakfast (buffet style), was looked after by a most efficient and pleasant staff who never seemed to be flustered even when they were very busy.

• Liked — Convenience for work. Breakfast staff.
  • Disliked — Ceanliness and disco noise.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

Stating with the positives - the location is pretty convenient, and the receptionists that dealt with us couldn't have been nicer. They also allowed us to have drinks after the bar was closed in a pretty courtyard just through reception which was good. Finally, the (second) room that we were given after complaining was at least a good size, if still rather shabby particularly in the bathroom (badly fitting and ancient lino, shower head bizarrely placed as if for a midget, fag burn in the dirty net curtains...) - it was also very stuffy and hot due to lack of aircon.

However... there are many more negatives. The whole hotel looked shabby and severely in need of a refurb. The first room we were put into was appalling - miniscule, airless, filthy (dust on all the surfaces, stained and burnt carpet and cracked lino), all accessorised with knackered old junk-shop furniture and right next to the road - it made me wheeze just being in there for 5 minutes. And they had the gall to charge £90 a night for it! So we were moved by the receptionist and as I said above, this second room was a bit better, but still nowhere near the standard you'd expect of even a 3-star hotel. The cooked breakfast buffet was also pretty nasty and the staff who were in the dining room each morning were some of the most unprofessional I've seen in a hotel - giggling teenagers talking loudly about waxing people's eyebrows off with sellotape amongst other things, and consequently failing to give any thought to offering tea and coffee or toast, which weren't available at the buffet, to paying customers.

Basically, if they were charging sub-Travelodge prices, you'd be happy with sub-Travelodge accommodation and service (bar the receptionists). However frankly, at these prices (almost the same as the fantastic Stagg Inn at Kington at which we had stayed 2 weeks previously - only half an hour down the road!), I would find somewhere else to stay instead.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

I only stayed for one night at £60 for the room, when the nearby Travelodge [a chain of basic hotels] wanted to charge £55, and it was a very reasonable price to pay for what I got. The room was clean, the service friendly, and the breakfast very reasonable, at least by English standards. My minor quibbles are: 1) Room service is only available during mealtimes, which is a little useless! Only sandwiches can be ordered at any time, but when I tried at 4pm on a Saturday I was told there wouldn't be any "on the premises" until 5pm; 2) No free wifi, although there is a T-Mobile-run service advertised in the room, which I decided not to use; 3) The shower head is not detachable or otherwise adjustable, and set much lower than the average. I'm only 5'9" (173cm) in height myself, and I almost banged my head against it.

Overall, though, this seems to be a good hotel, at least for basic stays, and especially at the discount I received.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Fownes Hotel? Share your experiences!