“Not worthy of 3 stars !” 1 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Exclusive Spring Offer
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Worcester
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Not worthy of 3 stars !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

Unfortunatly l was late arriving at the hotel, the room l was allocated was 306. l was due to meet friends so l never really got time to check the room out until the next day. l was appalled by the rip nets and curtains, the large dirty make on the head board, the frayed towels, rust marks on the chrome bath rail leading on to the bath and the lack of general cleanliness/ maintenance. As the hotel has a 3 star rating l would of expected better. l do under stand that the hotel needs up dating but to be honest these items l have mentioned should of be routine house keeping.

On leaving the receptionist was on her own and l felt it wouldn't be fair to go through my complaint as other people were waiting to check out.

l have to say the staff l came in to contact with were helpful and curtious.

l have emailed the hotel serveral times asking them for there opinion on my comments but have not reveive any acknowledgement back so l feel l need to write this review.

The pictures speak for them selves.

One good thing if you need to stay is the car park is free but l would of rather paid less for a cleaner room and paid the car park fee.

When l booked, l asked for bed and breakfast in a single room. l paid £70.00

Room Tip: Good car park. NOT ALL BAD NEWS
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I live in Egypt but I am originally from Worcester. I am getting married in July in Egypt so I decided to have my hen do in April at the Fownes Hotel. I arranged everything via the phone and email with the manager Mr Mohamed Khalil. He is Egyptian so we got on really well. He seemed very accommodating and keen to help with what I needed. I initially reserved 10 rooms as we were planning a girl's sleepover, but once I have arrived in the UK on Tuesday 12th, I had realised that many of the girl's couldn't sleepover as they had work/kids to pick up etc. I went to meet with Mr Khalil on the Wednesday before the Hen Party and told him that not as many people would be staying over as I originally planned and that I did not want to get charged for all of the rooms. He categorically told me that I would only have to pay for the rooms that we used and he would never charge me for unused rooms because I live in Egypt (where he is from). He also confirmed this with my sister and 2 friends on the day of the party while they were decorating the room. The following morning at reception while we were checking out and paying for the 3 rooms we had used, the guy behind the desk told me we had to pay for a minimum of 6 rooms. I explained to him what the manager had told me and he had no idea about it. The manager was on his day off so I asked them to please contact him so I could clarify what he had told me. The manager finally answered his phone where he began to lie about the conversation ever taking place and then started to shout at me, I shouted back calling him a liar. I then told the guy at reception to please hang the phone up as I couldn't handle being spoken to like that anymore. The manager then called the reception back again asking to speak to me, he then started shouting at me and saying he would come and find me and kill me! I repeated back to him on the phone for everyone else's benefits, did you just say you are going to kill me?? And he confirmed "Yes, I will kill you". I them began to cry and shake. The lovely boy at reception hung the phone up and apologised. He was very upset about what had happened. He also gave me his name to act as a witness should I decide to take the matter further. I agree to pay for the 3 rooms we had used and was told I would get a phone call on the Monday to discuss the situation regarding the other rooms. I left the hotel in tears after my amazing hen party had been ruined by this disgusting human being. I decided not to pursue the matter on condition that I heard from him no further. I have not received a phone call since so I assumed the matter was over, until I checked my bank balance today and found the hotel and taken a further 270 pounds out of my account without my permission. Shocking!!!! This manager needs to be fired by the owners ASAP - I have 4 witnesses to what happened and I am going to contact the police regarding the threat to kill me.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

What a welcome - supplement for paying by credit card, supplement for wifi, supplement for usinf a Times free newspaper voucher. I didn't dare order anything else for fear of more supplements. very basic room with shabby furniture, no tooth mug but the worst a really noisy aircon system from the kitchen outside my bedroom window meant I couldn't open the window. Very poor breakfast, basic fresh fruit, the rest was tinned. Plastic sausage, bacon cooked in evil tasting fat, wooly tomato, floppy toast and coffee like dishwater. To be avoided apart from convenient location for city centre.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

me and my wife have just stayed in this hotel, over night (3rd of april) not a good experiance, the rooms are basic, old fashiond, one bar of soap for a two bedroomed appartment, but the worst thing about it was out side, 10 inches away from the window is an air vent, the air vent comes from the kitchen. at 6 am on a sunday morning the air vent started up........ it was like a trian flying. the only difference is it didnt stop, there for it kept us up all morning, and the worst is it defintoly is not safe due to the fumes from the air vent came streigth through the window when i went to investigate.

• Stayed April 2011
Middlewich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Stayed with friends for 3 nights 18-19-20 March 2011.
We have stayed here several times in the last 20 years and always been very satisfied.
This time we booked d.b.b. for two nights, expecting usual good dinner. Told the restaurant was closed and dinners now served in the bar. Between the 4 of us we had sirloin steak ( cooked to leather consistency) Fish and chips (fish cooked to death in soggy batter) steak& ale pie(1-fair, 1-tough meat) . So avoid dinners here.
To be fair, breakfasts were fine, buffet style, plenty of choice and pleasant service.
The hotel seemed a bit dis-heartened, entrance area un-swept rubbish blowing about, carpet in our rooms getting very thin in places.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Halifax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed at the Fownes for 2 nights and travelled to Cheltenham each day for the Gold Cup festival. We were a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews but we were pleased with the hotel. It is in a great position being a couple of minutes walk to the centre of Worecester and local pubs, restaurants and shops. The rooms are a little tired but are spacious and comfortable. The bathrooms have a bath and shower over and have lots of hot water and toiletries. The hairdryer in our bathroom(one of the wall fixed types) did not function but the staff sorted it out immediately. the breakfat was adequate with tinned grapefruit and oranges a variety of fruit juice and cereals. The cooked breakfast was buffet style and had sausage,eggs, bacon. mushrooms and fried bread and the plates were the hottest we have had from a buffet bar.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

For the last 5 years we have stayed at this hotel about 6 times a year visiting our daughter, son in law, and grandchildren. Its location puts the main shopping area pubs and excellent restaurants within less than a 5 minutes walk.

The hotel was in the 1800's a glove factory with its own canal near by, it therefore has lots of character.

Over the years as with most hotels there has been a turnover of staff however we have always found them pleasent and helpful, the bedrooms are kept clean and tidy but some are looking a little tired.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Fownes Hotel? Share your experiences!