“The Perfect chip (..and not off the old block!)” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“The Perfect chip (..and not off the old block!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I used to at the Lantern occasionally with my wife and daughter about twelve years ago when we had a boat moored at Evesham. We could get a hearty but basic meal here and it was always nice as the surroundings were ....well.....errr...quaint !

I returned this week for a visit with my new partner to introduce him to the delights of Evesham and, as we were nibblish, I decided to call in at the Lantern for old time's sake. It was like stepping back in time - literally! Looking in, the decor was best described as ...well.....errr...quaint ! I don't think that a paint brush had been waved anywhere near the restaurant in all that time. Still a 'Merrie Olde Englande' theme, black and white half timbering, redolent of seaside holidays in the '50s and '60s with coloured hanging lamps (ne'er a lantern in sight, strangely) and dark oak-stained tables with cartwheel-backed chairs. At least it wasn't complimented by the strangely inappropriate samba music in the similarly-themed dining room of the Stade Court Hotel in Hythe (q.v).

Anyway, to cut a long story short - as they say - the grub was excellent and the service was pleasant and smiley. Much better than I remembered it . For the price, the portions were very generous. I had carrot and coriander soup which was thick, tasty and delicious with real texture - not the thin and watery gloup that I had half expected. He-who-must-be-obeyed had a mushroom- and-ham-omelette. This was hot, large and full of flavour - and also of mushrooms and ham! It came with a good helping of very fresh salad and chips.

Now... Those chips. As my waist is trying to do to the rest of my body what Hitler did to Poland, I was virtuous and opted for the soup. Not that I normally flee like a vampire in daylight when I see a calorie, but I was being good - or trying to. I took one look at my partner's chips and I wanted one. No. I wanted ALL of them! Light, fluffy, plump and golden they looked appealing. They were 'must-have' chips. Seeing the puppy-like expression of longing on my face he offered me one. Oh... bliss!!! Hot and crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside... this was the perfect chip. You could suck out the soft, white, interior. The omelette and salad and half of the chips eaten my other half was replete and, restraint never being one of my virtues, I dived headfirst into his plate and scoffed the lot.

Even the pot of tea was good. Whilst this restaurant was OK a few years back, the food has now improved to the point where it is VERY good. This is an excellent place to eat in Evesham if you don't mind dodgy decor that takes you back to childhood holidays with your parents and makes you feel as if you have to sit up and behave with your elbows off the table and your hands in your lap. Just leave your bucket and spade outside. It's a bit cramped inside and someone might trip over it.

Visited October 2012

hollywood uk
“Not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Whilst passing the Lantern Cafe on Saturday 11th August, we were enticed in by the appealing menu and the number of customers already dining inside. What a mistake... I ordered quiche with salad - the salad was just okay but when I returned the quiche to the counter stating that there was a hair sticking out the side of the pastry, I was informed by the waitress (who'd spoken with the chef) that "it wasn't a hair, it's a brillo pad strand"!!!! Oh that's okay, I'm quite partial to those! My husband ordered ham, eggs & chips and stated that the ham wasn't great. My Mom ordered cottage pie and said it was "okay". This place is over priced for what they serve, so we won't be going back and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone visiting Evesham. Wish I'd read Trip Advisor before going so we could have eaten elsewhere! On a final note, I had to ask the waitress to put toilet roll into both ladies' loos as there was none in there - and this was at peak time!

• Visited August 2012