“nice place to stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oscar Lodge

You added Oscar Lodge to your Saves list
Oscar Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   65 Vansittart Road, Windsor SL4 5DB, England (Formerly Oscar Hotel)   |
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Windsor
Limerick, Ireland
“nice place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

i have seen they reviews on this property i stayed there in feb 2011 with my partner my best friend and her parents at first i did not like this place but by the end of my trip i liked the place the staff were very friendly when we needed a taxi they would order one for us and we wouldnt be waiting for long the rooms were comfortable and clean and very cosy. i would stay there again

• Stayed January 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

I’ve just came back from a 4 night stay with friends, the service I received was amazing. it’s a ideal location for sightseeing around Windsor and perfect distance from the night life. all in all the hotel was great, and the price was even better!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Found and booked over the net. When we arrived the whole building had a stale cooking smell. The rooms were in need of a complete refurb not to mention a good CLEAN. Ensuites were the size of a cupboard. Beds looked and felt grimy. Towels were small and almost see through only 1 each. None of us [4 women travelling together] felt 'safe'.
Looked for alternate accommodation at the information centre and checked out about an hour after checking in - and had to pay for 1 night.
Very, very happy with alternate accommodation.
Would NOT recommend this establishment to anyone!!!
Our 'escape' did give us lots to laugh about afterwards as it was the worst place we had booked over the net and in eight weeks of travelling in the UK we thought that was reasonably good.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Maleny, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

I stayed here one night with my daughter. The location was good so close to the centre of Windsor, the staff were friendly and sorted out a mix up with the booking straight away but I wished I spent a bit more and stayed somewhere a bit nicer. There was a general down-market feel to the place with things not quite fixed or cleaned properly. The type of place you end up spending all evening out somewhere else then leave early the next day. Disappointing.

• Stayed September 2009
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I saw from the other reviews this was barebones and that's why I chose it. Big mistake! It wasn't barebones -- bad service would be a step up -- there was no service. And, whenever I had a problem and could find someone (they would often hide from me and other guests), I was told it was my fault and I had to figure out a remedy. Plus, it is right beside a school and I was often woken to loud sounds of either construction, school bells, or screaming children.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Guiseley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

I usually try give good reviews .. but not for this one. I booked the Hotel online with Hotels.Com, for 1 nights stay at £55. This was because all the other Hotels in Windsor were fully booked..... The Hotel looked ok from the front, It has a small but ample car park at the rear. But as you enter the reception area you notice the poor decor and cleanliness. The Asian gentleman that booked me in and gave me my room key was polite and courteous. I stayed in a double room, purely because even though I was on my own I like a large bed... I was put in room 11 on the top floor, the decor throughout the hotel can only be described as "shabby " and poorly maintained. My room was ample size, but this was the only positive. The furniture was like something from a second hand / charity store. The bed linen was thread bare, and had stains. The walls had various stains and marks on them. There was no central heating only a small portable electric heater. The bathroom was to the same level of cleanliness as the bedroom... I didn't even bother with breakfast, I thought it was the safest bet... I travel on business all over the world and have stayed in various levels of accommodation from the best to the worst.. This hotel most definitely rates in t the worst category... I don't like writing poor or negative reviews or feedback, but I feel its only right to let someone else know. Because if I'd read a review that was a true reflection on this hotel before I booked it, I would have saved myself £55...
so yes I've learnt a lesson, when you book a hotel in the middle of one of the most beautiful and historical places in our fantastic country. And the cost is only £55 bed and breakfast, it's not because it's value for money and a quality establishment... so as my dad used to say, you get what you pay for in life. So next time I'll pay more and get more....

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
St. Paul, MN, US
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

First of all, let me prefice this review by saying I generally write very positive reviews and tend to make the best of every situation while traveling. I am easy to please and don't take writing the following lightly.
Let me start with the two good things about this place: the owner/manager was very nice and the location is good for seeing Windsor Castle and getting to Heathrow without staying at the airport itself.
Now for the rest of the story. I have never stayed at such a bare-bones, low budget operation and paid so much to do so. We stayed in room 14 at the very top of the hotel. The room had the tiniest "double" bed I've ever encountered. There was 1 very thin, very low quality blanket which didn't fit the bed. The bedding was uncomfortable. There was 1 tiny, thin towel for each of us. There is no closet or wardrobe just a coat rack. The furniture had to be second or third hand at best. There wasn't even a clock in the room! The bathroom was clean enough but the light was burned out. Thankfully there was a skylight in there. There was no hairdryer in the room but the owner loaned me one.
We came back after a day of sightseeing to find that there was no housekeeping service. I didn't care about the bed being made up or room tidied, but there were no fresh towels, clean coffee cups or bath products.
Windsor is a noisy place to stay due to the location near Heathrow so the hotel can't be faulted for that but there were so many strange noises in the hotel. It sounded like water was constantly running through the walls. It wouldn't seem that strange except we were at the very top of the building. All the rooms are built around a main stairway so there is lots of door opening and closing noise combined with the rattle of very old-fashioned keys. Although I know it's not uncommon in Europe, I don't like the feeling of locking myself in with the key or leaving the door unlocked while I sleep.
The self-serve continental breakfast served in the "lounge" was perfectly adequate. We found a couple nice pubs in the neighborhood with good food and drink.
This was basically my last choice in my desired price range for a place to stay in Windsor. I think I learned my lesson. I should have known something was up when I was asked to pay upfront and the sign at the registration desk said there were "no refunds". I know I definitely won't stay at the Oscar Hotel again and I doubt I will stay in Windsor again. Next time I'll add a day onto my time in London and do Windsor as a day trip.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Oscar Lodge? Share your experiences!