“Absolutely bare-bones” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Oscar Lodge

You added Oscar Lodge to your Saves list
Oscar Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   65 Vansittart Road, Windsor SL4 5DB, England (Formerly Oscar Hotel)   |
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Windsor
St. Paul, MN, US
“Absolutely bare-bones”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

First of all, let me prefice this review by saying I generally write very positive reviews and tend to make the best of every situation while traveling. I am easy to please and don't take writing the following lightly.
Let me start with the two good things about this place: the owner/manager was very nice and the location is good for seeing Windsor Castle and getting to Heathrow without staying at the airport itself.
Now for the rest of the story. I have never stayed at such a bare-bones, low budget operation and paid so much to do so. We stayed in room 14 at the very top of the hotel. The room had the tiniest "double" bed I've ever encountered. There was 1 very thin, very low quality blanket which didn't fit the bed. The bedding was uncomfortable. There was 1 tiny, thin towel for each of us. There is no closet or wardrobe just a coat rack. The furniture had to be second or third hand at best. There wasn't even a clock in the room! The bathroom was clean enough but the light was burned out. Thankfully there was a skylight in there. There was no hairdryer in the room but the owner loaned me one.
We came back after a day of sightseeing to find that there was no housekeeping service. I didn't care about the bed being made up or room tidied, but there were no fresh towels, clean coffee cups or bath products.
Windsor is a noisy place to stay due to the location near Heathrow so the hotel can't be faulted for that but there were so many strange noises in the hotel. It sounded like water was constantly running through the walls. It wouldn't seem that strange except we were at the very top of the building. All the rooms are built around a main stairway so there is lots of door opening and closing noise combined with the rattle of very old-fashioned keys. Although I know it's not uncommon in Europe, I don't like the feeling of locking myself in with the key or leaving the door unlocked while I sleep.
The self-serve continental breakfast served in the "lounge" was perfectly adequate. We found a couple nice pubs in the neighborhood with good food and drink.
This was basically my last choice in my desired price range for a place to stay in Windsor. I think I learned my lesson. I should have known something was up when I was asked to pay upfront and the sign at the registration desk said there were "no refunds". I know I definitely won't stay at the Oscar Hotel again and I doubt I will stay in Windsor again. Next time I'll add a day onto my time in London and do Windsor as a day trip.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

I stayed at the oscar hotel for two nights. It is a pleasant, cosy hotel.

The rooms are spacious and very clean. The breakfast is also very good as they serve a continental style breakfast so you can help yourself.

Also the guy at the reception desk is very helpful, as he gave me a leaflet so I can go to a few of the hot spots in and around Windsor.

Over all, I would defenitely stay there again. It is good value for money.

• Liked — Friendly
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2008

I've just come back from a three night (well, 2, we cut it short) stay here with my husband.

We were delayed on the way due to bad weather and a tyre blowout, but we kept the owner informed as to where we were, but this didn't stop him complaining when we finally did get there. We weren't informed of any arrangements for breakfast, and had to lug all our possessions up the stairs without any help.

The room was ok, a bit small, but clean enough. However, the room wasn't serviced once during our stay, so we got no towels (there weren't enough for two people as it was), no more coffee or milk. I did ask for these, but we never received them.

On checking out, the owner made no reference to us leaving early, didn't ask if everything had been ok, and was less than impressed at us paying by debit card, saying, "can't you pay cash?"

All in all, an ok place to stay, as it was clean, but I would not describe the place as friendly, and at no time were we asked for any assurances that our stay was ok. Benefits are that it is cheap, and only a ten minute walk into Windsor.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Great little hotel, friendly welcome, clean tidy and well presented.

Was not very busy when we visited in October for one Saturday night (maybe only 2-3 rooms out of 14 occupied).

The self-service continental breakfast (included) was perfectly adequate. Note that a cooked breakfast is £4 extra per person.

Our double room on the top floor was beautifully presented and quiet (apart from planes on approach to Heathrow, which you're going to get everywhere in Windsor).

We were travelling by bicycle; there is a ring set in the wall in the car-park fine for locking up 1 or 2 bikes.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

A nice little hotel in an ideal location.

The room was very nice, but the bathroom was a little dated. However, the whole place is value for money for the Windsor area.

There is limited parking, which you could find youyrself being blocked in as we did in the evening.

We would stay in the hotel again should we be in the area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

We booked the hotel on the internet, staying from Friday evening until Sunday. We were in Windsor for the wedding of my partner's son. There was a man on reception, who could not speak much English. We said we had booked a double room for two nights with a vegetarian breakfast . He insisted we had only booked breakfast for the Saturday morning and he had not charged for breakfast on Sunday. We then paid for breakfast on Sunday morning, requesting that we had breakfast on both days at 8.30 a.m. The room was satisfactory. On Saturday morning the same man was serving breakfast. We helped ourselves to cereal, juice etc. Other people were having breakfast too, and we kept having to ask for more bread for toast, milk, cutlery etc. When we asked for the cooked part of the breakfast, he gave us meat which we had told him we did not want. The rest of the breakfast (beans, tomatoes, mushrooms) were lukewarm. However, we could not find him to complain. At the time we noted from conversations that the other guests all seemed to be leaving that day. We arrived back at the hotel at about 10.30 pm on Saturday evening, following the wedding. There did not appear to be anyone around. We found that the shower did not work properly. On Sunday morning again the shower was not working properly. We went downstairs for breakfast just before 8.30 a.m. The whole place was locked up! No reception open, dining room locked. We hung around for a few minutes, knocked on doors, but no-one appeared. Eventually we gave up, packed our bags in the car and drove into Windsor to find somewhere to have breakfast. Fortunately, as we paid cash, he did not have our credit card, or details of credit card. As the hotel does not appear to have an email address, I complained at the time to hotels.com, but received no communication from them. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. They do advertise evening meals too, but there did not seem to be anyone there who could have managed these and the sole man there could not communicate very well in English. There were foreign guests there on the Saturday and I feel this is giving a very bad impression of English hotels.

• Liked — close to Windsor
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I recently stayed at this hotel for 1 night. I did not have a booking and arrived in the early evening requesting a twin room which, to my delight, was available!
There was adequate parking to the rear and a welcomed smile at reception (always a Plus in my book)!
Our room was up the first flight of stairs and was in immaculate condition - agreed that there was no Sky TV but the Terrestrial channels were available (we watched Goldeneye) and let's be honest TV is the not the most important thing on the planet when on holiday in a beautiful place like Windsor!
Talking of Windsor, this hotel was a stones throw away from the Town Centre and Castle!! We did not know the exact way but Robin (at reception) had maps and brochures to help us on our merry way.
Breakfast was a treat as we had the opportunity to sample a Full English Breakfast which was the highlight of our stay.

All in all a great place to stay: clean and undiscovered with a fantastic homely atmosphere.

Thank you Oscar Hotel!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Oscar Lodge? Share your experiences!